View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Before Snorri-dog died, he was eating Royal Canin (digestive low fat), for his pancreatitis. He left the larger part of a BIG bag. Kali is now eating it, with a scattering of fresh beef mince.
Thorgeir is eating Baker's Puppy, with no apparent ill effects - what should we be looking out for, and why might it be bad?

Snorri
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Here we go....

This link might be of some use .... some surprises in there too!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html
Could not find a food called Blue Barn on the list you have given, if you want suggestions on the blue barn food then we need the name of the particular food you are making enquiries about so we can find the ingredients on that or another list.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What is better than Bakers? anything and everything. LOL. When out walking in my area, you can see dogs that are fed Bakers because their poo is bright orange.
Same goes.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Before Snorri-dog died, he was eating Royal Canin (digestive low fat), for his pancreatitis. He left the larger part of a BIG bag. Kali is now eating it, with a scattering of fresh beef mince.
Thorgeir is eating Baker's Puppy, with no apparent ill effects - what should we be looking out for, and why might it be bad?

Snorri

hi snorri.

its just got lots of additives and colourings in it, so its not got much in the way of healthy stuff.

Bit like feeding my wee boy junk food all the time.

Personally think he would do better on something else, but at the end of the day its down to what you think works for your dog ...

p,s err recent puppy piccies please ??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Bakers Puppy:

Cereals, Meat and animal derivatives (Minimum 4% fresh meat in the soft moist kernel, minimum 4% beef in the brown kernel), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Various sugars, Derivatives of vegetable origin, Minerals, Vegetables (minimum 4% vegetables in the green and yellow kernels). With antioxidants, coloured with and preserved with EC additives.

It is bad because it contains very little meat (4%) which is of unknown quality, is high in cereal content (again, what cereals? it doesn't specify what is used!) and contains artifical colours and flavours.
Susie Q
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the advice.

The quest for additive free food has become an obsession!!!

Rory is completely weaned off Bakers now (phew!) and is eating his Harringtons with the help of Butchers Premium (I know, maybe not so good, but better than Bakers)

I have one more question re chicken wings - should I give them instead of breakfast (Rory has 2 meals a day) and are they for everyday or just a couple of times a week??

Am complete dog food novice - this is a whole new world!!
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
my first thoughts were "anything is better than bakers!!"

there are several good quality foods out there, theyre not cheap, but they are good. burns and arden are two good ones, and if youre looking for a wet food then naturediet is good.

i would advise against royal canin and eukanuba, ive seen a lot of dogs suffer bad allergic reactions to these....
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
loads of things out their we use a working dog as its high in protein and put meat into it and the day after use pasta and fish but ul find every1 uses different things
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Susie Q View Post
Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the advice.

The quest for additive free food has become an obsession!!!

Rory is completely weaned off Bakers now (phew!) and is eating his Harringtons with the help of Butchers Premium (I know, maybe not so good, but better than Bakers)

I have one more question re chicken wings - should I give them instead of breakfast (Rory has 2 meals a day) and are they for everyday or just a couple of times a week??

Am complete dog food novice - this is a whole new world!!
If I were you, I personally would feed them as a replacement to the kibble in the morning as kibble and raw (I'm presuming you will be feeding the chiken wings raw) digest at very different rates and so it can really upset your dogs tummy

Jess is fed solely on raw and she thrives on it
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
CSJ is great, I've tried a few of their varieties on my two and they've had no probs whatsoever, have looked great on it, it's economical as you feed less than with some other brands. Cheaper than Harringtons even too!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >