View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Almost anything is better than Bakers! You're doing the right thing in trying to find a better dry complete food for your dog.

I'll second what everyone else has said with regards to other types of dry food.

My Westie (5 1/2 years) does best on Burns, and I've tried her on several. She tends to put on weight more easily than Roxy so I feel Burns helps with that, although you give them less Burns than you would other dry foods as it swells more than other foods, apparently, so you don't need a lot of it.

Roxy (mongrel) seems to do best on Arden Grange Premium, although she does absulutely fine on Harringtons as well and it's a lot cheaper, but appears to be qutie a good food.

Hypoallergenic is important to me as I'm paranoid about very possible skin irritations in my Westie, as they are notorious for them! Thankfully *touch wood*, she's 6 years old in August and is completely free from allergies and skin problems.

CSJ is meant to be very good as well, and it's inexpensive, which is a bonus.

Burns, Arden Grange, Luath's and James Wellbeloved are all good dry foods and have many varieties in their ranges, so I'm sure you'll find a kind that's suitable for your Collie cross. All of the above are better than Bakers!

All the best!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 10:59 PM
What is better than Bakers? anything and everything. LOL. When out walking in my area, you can see dogs that are fed Bakers because their poo is bright orange.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What is better than Bakers? anything and everything. LOL. When out walking in my area, you can see dogs that are fed Bakers because their poo is bright orange.
and glow in the dark
Elaine xx
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 11:11 PM
stay away from supermarket flashy bags .....go to the pet store and read the ingredience ,the less fillers the better the feed ...resectfully ...and IMO
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Harringtons is pretty good i think for a cheaper food - its got good percentages of meat in it (26% i think ) CSJ is specially for working/high energy dogs so that might be worth a go.
Deborahjane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2009, 07:09 PM
My 2 cavaliers are on Wainwrights, they were on Hills, but it didnt agree with 1 of them...hence the change. A woman I work with has told me that Wainwrights is is a terrible food to give them, but she wouldnt explain why!!!! Can anyone help please. Neither of them has had any adverse effects from the new food.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 08:15 AM
TBH if this dog has been feed on Bakers for over 4 years and is fit and active I wonder why you would want to change him except because it has been suggested you should, ignore market and forum forces and continue to feed the way you have, successfully, for the last 4 years.

If you have a reason to change then yes, any of the suggested food or any other will be fine.

If he is overweight feed a bit less.
Susie Q
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I have a pet food supplier quite locally - The Blu Barn - who do their own brand dry food.

The ingredients look ok with no additives.

I wondered if anyboddy had tried this???

Harringtons currently not going down too well!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Dog food should have some added ingredients to make sure it is a balanced diet otherwise you may as well feed table scraps and let them scavenge for what they can get.

Why not let us have a list of this food then we can give an informed opinion.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Dog food should have some added ingredients to make sure it is a balanced diet otherwise you may as well feed table scraps and let them scavenge for what they can get.

Why not let us have a list of this food then we can give an informed opinion.
Here we go....

This link might be of some use .... some surprises in there too!

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >