Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Decking and landscaping

We have a really small back garden which has always been gravel, with a small bit of patio near the house.

The trouble is, now we have young Woody we have no plants (at all!!) and the gravel seems like it's just covered in wee and poo and I don't want to sit out in it.

We don't have much money but Neil is doing a freelance web job soon that should give us about £700 or so, soooooo what shall we do?

The house is North facing and the garden is so small I don't think a lawn would work so we were thinking about having two, opposite corners of the garden decked in a sort of half hexagon shape and an s-shape of gravel and stepping stones running through them.

Does anyone know how we do this? I can honestly say, apart from planting I have not got a clue how to do things in the garden!! How do you lay decking? Can you just put it down or do you need a flat ground etc?

Novice or what!!

Pictures of our garden now:

(sorry they were all I could find)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Kev (OH) did our decking. He put brick pillars down and then joists and built it from there. You need to think about leaving enough room for ventilation if near the house. I think you can buy decking panels now which would be easier. It is about 13 years since he first did ours, prior to them becoming more popular and I know the products have changed a lot since then...
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:38 PM
One bit of advice if you get decking - make sure you treat it every year and I don't mean buy it a new pair of shoes or something!!

The wonderful previous owners of our house had decking put in and the rest paved. It was obviously never treated/coated and as a result it now looks skanky and will eventually rot if we don't sort it this year. We're having to hire a steam cleaner to get all the crap off it as we've tried pressure washing and it don't work!

I will post you some pics of our garden later, it will make you feel so much better about yours!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes, pictures please, please pictures!!

We only intend to be in this house for another few years tops, but I NEED a nice garden to sit out in!! Either that or a few more dog friendly pubs ;o)

Anyone have any tips on stopping a dog eating "everything'' in your garden btw?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Decking can be slippery when wet...my friend has terrible trouble with hers in the winter, although it does look nice.

One of the nicest small gardens I saw had some slabs that were in a sort of circular design..a couple of smallish ones scattered around, and then they were surrounded by those slate chips...it looked wonderful and thye just used to sweep the chips back into position if the dogs had moved them as they ran past.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Decking can be slippery when wet...my friend has terrible trouble with hers in the winter, although it does look nice.

One of the nicest small gardens I saw had some slabs that were in a sort of circular design..a couple of smallish ones scattered around, and then they were surrounded by those slate chips...it looked wonderful and thye just used to sweep the chips back into position if the dogs had moved them as they ran past.
Have noted the slippery comment, lots of people have mentioned this to us so we'll be taking precautions.

The stone idea is lovely and I can picture it quite well the trouble is I want somewhere for the table and chairs, for the BBQ and a sunlounger in the sunny spot we get so having something in the centre only wouldn't quite work. I'm also sick and tired of walking over the gravel, especially as it's always covered in pee and poo (even though I pick up every day and hose down once a week), it really grosses me out but I want to be able to sit out there!!

We have a tarmac drive at the end, round the corner, out of sight that we never use (apart form the shed being on it) but we cannot get him to go there for love nor money!! Fussy dog!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Agreed on the slippery decking - in fact I eventually put my summerhouse on it cos it was lethal - not just water, but algae was the problem.
Decking needs to be laid on a frame, with weed suppressant membrane covering the area the frame goes on - else you'll also get weeds growing through!

If the garden is really small, Em, why don't you pave the lot with riven slate slabs? More character than paving slabs, but get put down the same. Take a look at Wickes online. They also do "how to" sheets.

How to stop Woody eating - buy plants he won't eat and put them in tubs - you can then have a beautiful courtyard garden..
plants he won't eat.. Holly.. cotoneaster.. roses..

I'll think a bit more if you like the way its mapping out..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 05:23 PM
These? http://www.wickes.co.uk/Natural-Ston...es/invt/235442 Do they go in the garden then?

It sounds like a nice idea but I really wanted to get away from the courtyard garden idea and feel like I had a 'proper' garden, even though it's small.

The measurements are: 465cm along the wall of the house, going out 560cm on the left, 245cm right, 102cm right again (gap to the shed and back gate), and then 692cm back towards the house so it's a very weird shaped garden as it is.

I wanted something that will allow for dog messes and entertaining (BBQ, sun bathing, glass of wine in the evening etc) and was (as always for me) aiming for a japanese sort of theme.

Sort of along these lines (minus the hot tub lol!!) - http://www.sushisecrets.com/japanesegarden.html

I really like these stepping stones - http://www.buildajapanesegarden.com/.../sstonesir.htm and am hoping that even though they are expensive I can incorporate them in as will only need a few if the other sides are decked.

Maybe we should consider paving then instead *pouts*
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 05:31 PM
more like this one, Em
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Home-Deliver...ng/invt/187857
I know you found riven slate, and really slate comes form outside so it should be ok, but as they had that in kitchen, I'd be inclined to ask first.

I can't "see" your measurements, girl - I'm old enough to think in feet and inches and somehow I have you in a Hobbit house with only a four foot garden. Can you draw it for me?

Nothing wrong with a Japanese garden, but its based in gravel - and I thought you wanted away from that?
You can always do as I do - and keep your acers (maples) in pots.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 06:02 PM
*falls off chair*

Just costed up paving the whole area and our 33m2 garden would be £2,567!!! Eeek!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >