Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
GH link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWI64g0GN8

Was the estimate in The Star?
No, but regardless, it was obviously a pro racing article so it isn't likely to be shouting out about such reduced litter numbers.

GH - Watched that ages ago, I was asking for the link about him being done... ???
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
What uproar?
Who was appalled?
What action did they take?

He's still recklessly breeding, abusing, neglecting, destroying, exploiting and selling greyhounds to highest bidder - universities included!!!!!!!
Nearly every greyhound trainer, breeder, owner e.t.c that I spoke to on the subject.

What action could they take?

Already stated I am in no way a fan of the fella BUT where is your hard evidence that he is selling to Universities? The Uni in questions denied the allegations. Even if he had/has, as we definitely do not know either way, the dogs don't suffer and are pts by a fully qualified vet.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
No, that:

1. Like Chaz, I accept and understnd that there is bad in the greyhound industry, and like her, don't agree with it.

2. That there is infact, dispite what some here, would want us all to believe,people in the industry who, give a toss about their dogs.

3. Yes, pointing out, that it does go on in other industries, and is not just specific to greyhounds.

4. I've never said that it should be used as a justification for the bad that does go on.

I do however, respect anyone who stand up/campaign or in other ways fight for what they believe in, even if, I don't always agree with them, and that is in general, not just relating to dogs.

I just don't agree that all people involved in greyhounds, don't care about their dogs, I refuse to generalise an entire group of people like that. Itslike saying that all hells angels are murderers, or that all muslims are terrorists, because of the actions of some.
1 See unlike Chaz I do not accept it or understand it - I want it wiped out!

2 Yes in my tender years (yeah right) I have met a few but those few still do not stand up against those that dont - Seaham being a case - pretty much everyone knew it was going on but did not blow the whistle, and nothing was done until it came to the publics attention and then it was a big panic to be seen to be doing something, whilst really doing nothing at all. Unfortunately very few take their dogs home – why was the RGT set up for? So no unlike Chaz I again do not accept that all is wonderful and rosy apart from one or two trainers at the most or that a certain amount of cruelty is understandable. However, what she sees as a good dog owner/trainer of course may differ to a lot of peoples.

3 Again this thread is about greyhound racing - just because it goes on elsewhere does not mean that us anti's do not campaign against any other form of cruelty or should just sit back and accept it and ‘understand’ it – sorry but I could never understand cruelty or those that perpetrate it.

4 No you havent! But again its a moot point - we should all be campaigning against all forms of cruelty but as this is about commercial greyhound racing, why do some keep bringing it up?

Thank you - like Nav it is nice to be respected for my beliefs and not just ridiculed as being just out of school, believing everything I read in the press and being unable to do my own research, investigations despite me saying how involved I have been.

I agree I have always said there are a few good ones in the industry - just not enough and many not strong enough to take a stand against the bad and that the fines etc are no where near enough to stop it - hence me wanting the commercial side of it taken away.

Or that all veggies hug trees!!?!?!?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Try two, me and my computer just had a argument, and it crashed, and I had to re-type everything again

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Arh now I understand you think I have no experience regarding the ‘sport’ and am just out of school fair or incapable of learning as you have done, so you do know all about me then?

Have I said that you have no experience? Or that I know all about you, everyone can learn about things very easily, and develop their own opionions on these things too.

However, it is possible that may just maybe I and others do have a little experience in rescue and the industry and still shock horror I am anti an industry that breeds far too many dogs, thinks its fine to pts or put in rescue. Do you honestly believe that you are the only one who can learn things, the only one to look at things with an open mind yet still come to different conclusions to others? Are you the only person who has volunteered in rescue, or have any experience at all? You assume that anybody who is anti has not listened, done their research, gone to tracks and trainers, never volunteered in rescue – a bit presumptuous given you do not know what people on here have done and still do? It seems only pro people have had any involvement at all – the rest of us poor misguided smucks are just stupid.

Lol, you talk about me assuming , I don't care what people's opinions are, they are theres, but I will still state what I think, kind of like you do.

I do know what you have done for Diesel and as you say have reppied you (how nice of you to throw them back in my face so publicly) – you’ve done wonders and I agree you should do all you can to make him happy and find him something to do. But as you say you would not think of giving him up if he doesn’t like racing or cannot do it – why is it ok for others to do it then?

Because he is a pet, yes its sad that so many dogs go through rescue homes, and that does include Greyhounds, it would be lovely if people could keep their dogs for the full life, but not everyone does, and yes there are many horror stories about what has happened to Greyhounds once they have finished their carrier, and some of them make me sick to my stomach, but tbh I think that instead of keep using this as the main argument, well you should look more at people who don't rehome their dogs, and look at why some of them are being pts, as the ones who don't see a rescue, live out there time with the trainer, etc are the really unlucky ones (and that is if they don't get dumped first) but I believe that rescues and Greyhound trainers should work more in parternership with each other, so that the trainers give more in for rehoming the dog, and the rescue matches each dog to a home asap (which I know rescues do, before anything is said), but something like this could benefit the Greyhounds. Which from what I believe is happening already, but I would still rather judge people who don't do things like that, then people who don't

Your right I should bow to your obviously superior experience and stop wasting my time trying to stop the cruelty and just accept it.

I take it the sticker is gone then? A dog (or is it just greyhounds) is not for life?

The car was sold, and I don't live with them anymore, like I said a lot has happened it doesn't change that dogs (all breeds and crosses are for life btw, unless rehoming them benefits the dogs in question.)

Yes some people hold it in high regard – and support it unstintingly, however there are just as many or more who do not hold it in such high esteem as you do. Again I suppose you think these are the people who have never had any involvement or experience of it. The vast majority of people I know abhor it, what goes on behind the closed doors and what happens to these dogs after racing and strange as it may seem to you and you probably will not believe me anyway – they are heavily involved in the rescue of these beautiful dogs, have done and still have dialogue with trainers etc begging to take the dogs instead of a one way visit to the vets or Seaham.

Yes and you point is? This is about commercial greyhound racing! I don’t condone any form of cruelty whether its under the banner of greyhound racing, fur trade whatever, just because it goes on does not mean I have ‘understand and accept it’.

This prolly won't be worded right but here goes nobody likes cruelty, but it does happen everywhere, even where its least expected, its not a case of understanding and accepting it, if you do something about it then good for you, thats up to you, but don't judge the whole thing based on some, which tbh is what I feel has happened with Greyhound racing, people hear about the cruelty more then they hear about the nice stories, and I'm not aiming this at you, but everyone really

Can I ask what you mean by saying ‘if I really wanted to stop cruelty’ are you actually saying that I don’t! Just because you accept that there is cruelty in the industry does not mean I have to however it does not mean I wish to see people stop having pets – why on earth do I have 5 dogs then or unlike Tazer you do think I just do it to look good? Do you think people are incapable of owning animals without cruelty? Again you come up with the wild animal thing – two wrongs do not make a right! You say you understand and accept that there is cruelty in this world and then go on to condemn those who try to do something to stop it? Is it really all a waste of my time and effort into getting dog to safety and homes to you, should those involved in getting any dog out of a cruel situation just sit there and say ‘oh well you have to understand it happens you know’”.
I'm not saying that you don't but, what I am saying is to stop cruelty then people would have to be banned from having contact with any animal at any time, and from each other too, and I'm not condeming people who work hard to stop it either otherwise I would be condeming people I would call my friends wouldn't I? Also maybe a bit myself too
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Nearly every greyhound trainer, breeder, owner e.t.c that I spoke to on the subject.

What action could they take?.
Trainers on Greyhound Scene have defended this pathetic excuse of a man - with the same blinkered vision when supporting abusive owners and trainers such as Andrew Peacock and Eve Blanchard.....swept under the carpet!

Already stated I am in no way a fan of the fella BUT where is your hard evidence that he is selling to Universities? The Uni in questions denied the allegations. Even if he had/has, as we definitely do not know either way, the dogs don't suffer and are pts by a fully qualified vet.
The evidence was in the Sunday Times. The university did not deny the allegations - they simply refused to divulge the names of those who 'donated' dogs for research and dissection.

Oh well that makes it perfectly ethical in your book does it - the fact healthy greyhounds were destroyed by a vet?

Its no wonder your conscience allows you to be actively supportive of the exploitative racing/gambling industry, with those ethics.

Disgusting, disgraceful and diabolical IMO
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Trainers on Greyhound Scene have defended this pathetic excuse of a man - with the same blinkered vision when supporting abusive owners and trainers such as Andrew Peacock and Eve Blanchard.....swept under the carpet!

The evidence was in the Sunday Times. The university did not deny the allegations - they simply refused to divulge the names of those who 'donated' dogs for research and dissection.

Oh well that makes it perfectly ethical in your book does it - the fact healthy greyhounds were destroyed by a vet?

Its no wonder your conscience allows you to be actively supportive of the exploitative racing/gambling industry, with those ethics.

Disgusting, disgraceful and diabolical IMO
I'm not on Greyhound scene so can't comment. The man isn't popular within the sport, but, he has bred some successful dogs so it's obvious certain people will still buy from him.

The article in The Times was written by an anti, I'm sorry but if the journalist was unbiased then the article may hold some weight. The uni DENIED that they have ever had dealings with C! It was a cheap shot by an underhand, snake of a journalist.

I knew full well you'd pick up on that comment...bait my dear. Can you tell me what is the difference with a vet putting a greyhound to sleep for research than PETA killing thousands and thousands of dogs the same way each year? Not sure if it has passed you by but thousands of heinz 57's, staffy's, pedigrees and greys are pts in this very same way every week. Shoot me down in flames but I'd rather see a dog pts humanely by a vet than abused, starved or dumped!

Jon wants to talk about overproduction, perhaps he should start with the serious overproduction of pets.

My ethics and morals are realistic Jodie. I don't live in cloud cuckoo land like you. Stay off the dodgy tea's

*The above is merely a joke, hope you have a sense of humour*
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2010, 10:28 PM

:
How many dogs suffer this fate every day Jodie... can I have a figure please?

And where is the link for GH having been done?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2010, 09:30 AM

You bring up the 75 year old Eve Blanchard again.

As stated before by me and what I gleaned off GS these are the facts about her situation.

She employed a Kennel girl called Hanna who was paid to look after her dogs, this women then videoed the condition these dogs that she looked after.

She gets sacked after taking a video in the middle of the night which is put up on You tube and your site.

Along come Sue Haigh on GS and derides her and gives Hanna telephone number(MOD should delete it but did not) Hanna takes off the video YT because of so called threats but left on your site as you stated she had threats against her thanks to the wife of Neil Haigh the head Kennel Hand at Blanchard kennels giving this Hanna telephone number.

We are told by this Sue that thanks to her husband and help of others at Poole that things where a lot better.

Six months later after her Husband gets sacked by Blanchard this Sue does the same thing as Hanna did and we get a new Video of the Blanchard Kennels on your site.

Think Jodie you are an "Agent Provocateur"

Any way the Industry where the only ones in the end to help sort out the problems of a 75 year caused in some ways by those muppets of yours who did FA to help her.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2010, 09:46 AM

And you have a problem with that???

Oh well that makes it perfectly ethical in your book does it - the fact healthy greyhounds were destroyed by a [U]vet[/U]?

As are hundreds of other healthy dogs , PTS every day by a vet... ??
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
I'm not on Greyhound scene so can't comment. The man isn't popular within the sport, but, he has bred some successful dogs so it's obvious certain people will still buy from him.
Charles Pickering bred 198 pups between June 2005 and May 2006 – only 90 of those pups were named and a mere 46 went on to race on licensed tracks – just 23%!!!!!
Where did the other 152 pups go????

The article in The Times was written by an anti, I'm sorry but if the journalist was unbiased then the article may hold some weight. The uni DENIED that they have ever had dealings with C! It was a cheap shot by an underhand, snake of a journalist.
I’ve never seen any good factual evidence of the University denying they had dealings with Pickering – where is the article?

I knew full well you'd pick up on that comment...bait my dear. Can you tell me what is the difference with a vet putting a greyhound to sleep for research than PETA killing thousands and thousands of dogs the same way each year? Not sure if it has passed you by but thousands of heinz 57's, staffy's, pedigrees and greys are pts in this very same way every week. Shoot me down in flames but I'd rather see a dog pts humanely by a vet than abused, starved or dumped!
Please supply good factual evidence to substantiate your claim regarding PETA. Whatever – PETA do not irresponsibly breed 1000’s of dogs every year. The 1000’s of greyhounds discarded by this exploitative gambling industry only exasperates the numbers of shelter dogs who cannot be re-homed. Shoot me down in flames but I would rather see no healthy animal being destroyed, least of all to provide a gambling medium and huge profits for the bookmakers.

Jon wants to talk about overproduction, perhaps he should start with the serious overproduction of pets.
You just want to deflect away from the over breeding of greyhounds – stick to the topic please.

My ethics and morals are realistic Jodie. I don't live in cloud cuckoo land like you. Stay off the dodgy tea's
Your ethics and morals are questionable - particularly as they protect your own self serving interests in seeing the continuation of greyhound racing. My ethics and morals serve to protect innocent creatures from abuse, neglect and destruction.

*The above is merely a joke, hope you have a sense of humour*
I like to think I have a great sense of humour – I just find nothing within greyhound racing laughable but this brings more than a smile to my face
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCITD_Hi3tU
Page 100 of 157 « First < 50 90 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 110 150 > Last »