Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-08-2013, 01:28 AM

Breeding standards

Me and my buddy was talking and was wondering if we ever wanted to become dog breeders or wanted to breed ower own dogs what whould be the best way to do it ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Firstly decide why you want to breed dogs.

IMHO it should always be to improve the breed that you choose & no other reason.

Secondly choose the breed you want to breed & research it, research it some more & then do even more research. Not just health, character, temeprament etc, but how many of the breed are being bred & the state of rescue in the breed.

Third select the very best bitch you can that is from a fully health tested pedigree(over & above the basics), then when old enough have ever health test available done on your bitch & only then start to consider breeding from her

Fourth take part in some activity suited to the breed(this can come before the third)successfully

Fifth then start looking for a compatible dog with a fully health tested pedigree & who has had all health tests available done or be normal by parentage, who is also typical of the breed & successful is the activity appropriate for the breed.

Sixth before actually doing the mating, consider have you got a waiting list or solid interest in your proposed litter or the facilities to run on all the puppies sucessfully if the homes are not immediately available.

At this point you decide whether or not you should breed from your bitch
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2013, 11:25 PM
You need an absolute passion for your breed, a bottomless purse and a committed direction which means that whatever the cost you believe in progressing your breed and are prepared to lose everything, including the bitch, to acheive your aims.

How terrrible.

Is it worth it ?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2013, 06:23 AM
When breed welfare come before dog welfare... Then no!

With so many dogs in welfare and in need I find it hard to see how anyone can justify it really. Five years ago I bought the only dog I've not rescued, for various reasons, it didnt sit we'll with me and I can't see myself ever a having another non rescue.