Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Millie at the vets @10.30

well last nite - went bed at about half tenish - (obv let millie out first) went up - she went on her bed but she wouldnt settle - 10 mins later i brought her downstairs and let her out in the garden, when she came in i noticed her eyes had swelled up, (looked like she had been in a fight!)

so took her back upstairs to see if she would settle until this morning when i can take her the vets

anyhow - she wouldnt stop scratching, crying, pacing up and down - after a little while of this i put the light on again and checked her eyes - then noticed her nose had swelled up (spots on her nose) this was the point where i panicked

what can you do at after 11 atnight?? so i stayed up fr a while with her - thank god didnt get worse - she wouldnt settle all night - she didnt sit down for anylonger than 30 seconds - she was stillc rying etc - so i let her out my room and all she did was pace up and down the hallf - up and down the stairs

first thought was fleas - but the other two are not scratching at all. then i though reaction to something???

i dont know - we will find out though soon - the swelling from her eyes and nose has gone down luckily - but she still cant settle - im really tired and so is she - poor little girl.

anyone experienced this before with their dogs?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2007, 10:01 AM
It sounds like an allergic reaction to something

Good luck at the vet
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-11-2007, 10:01 AM
No ideas sorry but hope Millie gets on ok at the Vets.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Good luck today at the vets. let us know how she is?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
what can you do at after 11 atnight??
If you are extremely worried then most vets have a 24 hours service.

It does sound like an allergic reaction, I keep Piriton in our first aid kit (but I don't know what breed Millie is so would ask you to check with the vet first as to whether you could give her some for an allergic reaction).

Good luck at the vets.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Suze as Carol says it sounds like an allergic reaction to something..could be a plant or an insect bite .

I always have Atarax (from the vet) medication in the house because Amy used to have allergic reactions to things. It is an antihistamine suitable for dogs and it also has a sedative effect to calm them if they are scratching excessively.
In Amy's case her head swelled up and she had urticaria, small lumps under the skin (as apposed to a rash on the surface of the skin), she felt hot and was very restless.

One thing to be aware of at the start of a severe allergic react is the throat and tongue may swell very rapidly restricting the breathing, so if you think your dog is having a severe reaction check the mouth and if concerned get the dog to the vets for an injection ASAP.

In a less severe reaction the swelling should gradually subside but often needs an anthistamine to help it along.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Good luck! x
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Good luck, hope Millie gets on ok at the vets x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran