View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I also believe now in not castrating unless for medical reasons, i wont neuter TJ unless i have to, unfortunatly i neutered scrumps 6 years ago, wished i hadnt but i was young and persuaded by the vet!
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:30 PM
even more confussed!!!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Not that it'll be much help at all to you but personally I'm all in favour of castration. Unless you're going to breed or show, the benefits far out-weigh the negatives. Among other things, you remove the instinctual and desperate need they all have to indulge If you're ever unfortunate enough to witness your intact male pacing the fenceline, whining and being agitated, in psychological 'pain' due to a neighbourhood bitch in heat and him not being able to follow his instincts, you'll see one of the reasons why I support castration.

Hope this helps in some way

Becs
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Why you confused otis ?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
unfortunatly i neutered scrumps 6 years ago, wished i hadnt but i was young and persuaded by the vet!
Just curious as to why you regret it Gems?

Graeme
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Literally after he had it done he started having really bad skin problems and he general condition went downhill.
We had him done as he had aggression problems, castrating him made them alot worse, he is much better now, but was a nighmare until about a year ago.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Literally after he had it done he started having really bad skin problems and he general condition went downhill.
We had him done as he had aggression problems, castrating him made them alot worse, he is much better now, but was a nighmare until about a year ago.
How old was he when you had him done Gems? And what type of aggression was it?

Becs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I had Bandit done when he was 13 months old, and i wish sometime that i had`nt, only because he became the brunt of many a intact dogs machoness and got bullied all the time.

This is something you must take time to think and think again on, and do not let your vet persuade you into doing something you are not happy with, and believe me some vets can do a lot of persuading.

As regards castrating calming him down , it wont.... maturaty will do this all on its own, (also check his food that it isnt to high in protien) the only difference it will make is he will not be interested in bitches in session, or want to take on all the macho men he meets.

Also 6months is far to young to have him done you should wait till at least both of his testicles have fully dropped or he is about 12 months old. which ever comes first, ( that is on the advice of my vet)

Remember that you will be putting him through major surgery so make sure you are a 100% sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

A friend of mine has just had her 6month old St.Bernard done , on the advice of her vet, and the poor thing has been very ill since the op, had a very bad reaction to the after op drugs, needless to say she wishes she hadnt had him done.
I am not trying to frighten you , but these are the things you must concider before you make your mind up.

Good luck
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
How old was he when you had him done Gems? And what type of aggression was it?

Becs
He was just under a year, about 10 months i think, and he had lead aggression
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 04:31 PM
He was just under a year, about 10 months i think, and he had lead aggression
If he'd been older I'd've said it'd been left too late and the aggression was learned and not instinctive.

Lead aggression? You mean towards other dogs? Or people? Sounds like nervous aggression, and castration can often make that worse.

Becs
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >