Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
There is quite a lot of conflicting stuff about this put out. Seems it is one of the issues that was hoped would be addressed with some amendments to the Dog Laws.

Some info here too:

http://www.asdonline.co.uk/news/dog-bite-claims
Thanks Hun, I will ask my son (who is a police officer) to check as I have a collar number.....maybe he can find out the coppers name, just to check he's ok even tough he wasn't bitten he did sort of half fall and jump off the shed roof. I might see to putting a notice on the shed at the back, then if anyone jumps up they can clearly see .....BC's and JRT live here.....its upto them then
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Idiots.......

....in uniform too....

There's NO way they can possibly blame you/your dogs for this.
I know I feel like that too, but if you could of seen Tess Cuz....she really meant business in her determinated she jumped back off the shed roof and thats 7ft high to get to the back fence. And Tess is a big girl you'd of never thought she could take a shed of that height
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't think it's your, the police or the dogs' fault. You didn't know they were there, the police had a job to do that wasn't feasible under the circumstances to knock on your door first and the dogs were defending you and your property.
As someone said before, the policeman had a right to be scared at the time, but I would have thought he would have been a bit better about it after. After all, are we now supposed to keep our dogs inside or search the garden first in case a criminal is being chased by police?!
The only one to blame here is the little scrote who committed a crime!
I think this was one thing that could not have been predicted and a total accident.
I agree with Gnasher.....give them a big bone....they furries did well!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I don't think it's your, the police or the dogs' fault. You didn't know they were there, the police had a job to do that wasn't feasible under the circumstances to knock on your door first and the dogs were defending you and your property.
As someone said before, the policeman had a right to be scared at the time, but I would have thought he would have been a bit better about it after. After all, are we now supposed to keep our dogs inside or search the garden first in case a criminal is being chased by police?!
The only one to blame here is the little scrote who committed a crime!
I think this was one thing that could not have been predicted and a total accident.
I agree with Gnasher.....give them a big bone....they furries did well!!
Thanks....Tess (and the others) is chewing on a chew as we spk.....at least it has taken her mind off earlier and settled her down
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I can't see how they can blame you. Are we supposed to check everytime now we want to allow our dogs into the back garden or let them innocently follow us while doing our chores in case a criminal is trying to scale our fence and a police officer is in hot pursuit behind them.

Yes they have a job to do but they must know the risks they are taking on entering a persons property in such a manner and that there may well be dogs there and most not friendly to that sort of interruption on the territory they clearly see as theirs and feel it is their job to protect it. Hopefully he was a bit off due to having a bit of a shock.

I really do not see they can blame you or the dogs. They were trespassing after all.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 12:59 PM
how dare the police act/have that attitude towards you, it is only the criminal at fault here! typical!!!!!

I'm so sorry you got hurt in the mayhem, what an unfortunate incident, your poor dogs too xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I can't see how they can blame you. Are we supposed to check everytime now we want to allow our dogs into the back garden or let them innocently follow us while doing our chores in case a criminal is trying to scale our fence and a police officer is in hot pursuit behind them.

Yes they have a job to do but they must know the risks they are taking on entering a persons property in such a manner and that there may well be dogs there and most not friendly to that sort of interruption on the territory they clearly see as theirs and feel it is their job to protect it. Hopefully he was a bit off due to having a bit of a shock.

I really do not see they can blame you or the dogs. They were trespassing after all.
Pat said the same Lynn......I'll give Gary a call later when he is off duty as well, but like I said to one of the other Police Officers......they don't see Police Uniform and think Oh! thats ok....do they, so its not their fault if anyone gets chased by the dogs, thankfully I know they would ''leave'' when told, but it was a real shock to me too let alone them
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
how dare the police act/have that attitude towards you, it is only the criminal at fault here! typical!!!!!

I'm so sorry you got hurt in the mayhem, what an unfortunate incident, your poor dogs too xxx
They must of been P''''d off I suppose as they almost had him
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
They must of been P''''d off I suppose as they almost had him
Too bad they didn't get the criminal - you'd have been in the papers for helping out
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 01:50 PM
This is what worries me about those looking to change the DDA to cover private land where the dog is allowed to be.

Yes it has been a loophole e.g when an invited guest is bitten by the householder's dog, but in this case the Police would presumably, were the law changed to include private land, be considered to be people who were entitled to be there, despite being there without your knowledge or consent.

Territorial dogs are following their instinctive behaviour, and being allowed to express natural behaviour is a requirement of the Animal Welfare Act, but I fear the DDA would trump that, were it to be changed in this way.

Similarly if someone comes into your garden, without your knowledge or consent to e.g retrieve a ball, how would one know before the dog's territorial instinct kicked in?

Very worrying IMO, and I am surprised the point hasn't been raised in discussions about the proposed changes.

In your case Youngstevie, I think it was just one of those unfortunate events, but I don't think they had any business being annoyed with you.

Thank goodness your dogs are trained and listened to you but how upsetting for you and them.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 02:20 PM
If it makes any difference, back in the early 90's a similar thing happened to us. Although we didn't live near a station, there was an area of scrub land, which lend to a small row of shops and a row of houses where we lived.

My mum had just got back from food shopping and went to get the washing off the line in the garden, when she heard screaming, she looks up there were 2 youths on the sheds (one on ours, one of our neighbours as they were next to each other), our GSD at the time shot straight through the kitchen door barking/growling and jumping up, moments later police jump over our garden fence. Thankfully my mum managed to grab the dog before any damage was done. Apparently the teenagers had stolen drinks from the shop and tried to leg it via the gardens.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >