View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry66
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I have used Salmon oil for a number of months now and I have noticed they have much better coats than they ever used to. I use a salmon oil spray and I usually spray 4 times in each bowl when I feed them
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Why do you want to feed your dog oil supplements?

Raw eggs are not good for dogs.
Raw eggs contain an enzyme (avidin)which interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin (biotin). This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dog's coat if raw eggs are fed for a long time.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by brittany View Post
I give my dog oil [and other] supplements because both I and my Vet consider that they help keep her healthy. At the very least we know that they cannot do her any harm.

Raw eggs contain an enzyme (avidin)which interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin (biotin). This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dog's coat if raw eggs are fed for a long time.
I do not think that anyone has suggested feeding their dogs an excess of raw eggs. A raw egg a couple of times a week cannot cause problems, unless, of course, the dog is allergic to eggs.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 06:11 AM
I feed Salmon oil and Primrose oil, as well as a joint supplement. Mouse's coat isn't any better though, but Oliver and Boo are looking fantastic
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 06:14 AM

The trouble with data mining and not having a full understanding of either the chemistry of foods or the mechanism of their interactions is that you are led to false conclusions.

Biotin is one of the B vitamins which plays an important role in cell metabolism and the utilisation of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. It is present in many foods including egg yolk and is synthesised by the body.

Avidin, one of the egg proteins, can combine with biotin and make it unavailable to the body. However, a human would have to eat 24 raw egg whites a day for biotin to be inhibited by avidin. So for the average dog this would mean betwwn 6 -12 eggs per day. One raw egg a day is therefore perfectly safe to feed dogs and contain valuable Omega 3s etc.

HTH

ps I thought you no longer wanted to waste your time "educating" us and had gone away?

Some of us feed supplements because we want to and like to. Nobody is forcing YOU to go down the same route.

I am sure there are other forums which are populated with individuals who would benefit far more from your superior intellect than this one, why not share your skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience with them.

It will make you feel so much better, I think we are beyond "improvement"
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I do not know what "data mining" is. I actually do understand the chemisty and biology of nutrition and I have not been led to "false conclusions".

What I don't understand is the current fad for feeding supplements/vitamins and all manner of trace elements to what is basically a species evolved to eat human scraps and waste. Dogs, by and large, don't need these. However, if it were just a case of people throwing their money away on products which are often just excreted in their urine, I would have no concerns. What does concern me, is the half baked pseudo science which can lead to hypervitaminosis (which has very serious consequences, sometimes fatal).

Some vets are extremely concerned about this, stating that they see far more dogs with hypervitaminosis than they ever see with vitamin deficiency.

I can provide references for all of this, but as this appears to elicit snide comments, I shall refrain from doing so.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-05-2012, 05:48 PM
brittany - thank you for your "expert" opinions about giving dogs vitamin/mineral/trace elements supplement.

But you give [or not] your dog what you want, and I will give my dog what I want.

As agreed with by her Vet. Right?

Oh, and you are not the only one who understands the chemistry and biology of nutrition, but thank you anyhow for trying to educate us. I am sure we are all grateful.
brittany
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh, and you are not the only one who understands the chemistry and biology of nutrition, but thank you anyhow for trying to educate us. I am sure we are all grateful.
I would not, ordinarily, have dreamed of mentioning it, but my understanding was called into question by Smokeybear and I wanted to set the record straight.

Normally, I am an incredibly modest person and would not advertise my intellect in such a way.

Such is life!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Supplementing with oils? which to use?

cant decide which oil supplement to use on the dogs food..

they are currently on salmon oil.. and its near the end of the bottle, ive seen other oils but i dont really know the difference between them and dont know which one i should feed.

so if any one could help (maybe by saying what they use?)

i have been thinking:

salmon oil
cod liver oil
evening primose oil
yumega oil

which do you use and why? any differences you have noticed?
I use yumega oil for my Lancashire heeler - she has a beautiful coat; people always comment on how shiny and healthy she looks. I also bake all my own doggie treats - I buy nothing so I know what goes into everything; I do include flax seed oil in her treats too and she loves them all. It takes a lot of time and effort but it's very rewarding when she comes to stand by me just waiting to test them all. We have lots of variety too and different shapes and sizes. Her friends love me! They know exactly where I carry them whilst out walking....
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I would not, ordinarily, have dreamed of mentioning it, but my understanding was called into question by Smokeybear and I wanted to set the record straight.

Normally, I am an incredibly modest person and would not advertise my intellect in such a way.

Such is life!
Yes dear, I am sure you are a most incredibly modest person.

Remind me again of your qualifications in canine nutrition?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >