Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 04:36 PM

? Stomach problems

I'm starting to really worry about Pepsi now and need some help please.

She eats grass, often, I know a lot of dogs do and it is supposed to be sign of indigestion or a bad tummy. This being the case what can be done to ease her tummy which makes continual loud gurgling noises?

She is often sick, never in the day, always in the night. It rarely has food in it but is frothy mucus, not even bile.

We have changed her food several times and think that all is well and then she either won't eat it or starts being sick again. She is on Trophy, for sensitive tums, gluten free.

She hasn't eaten for over 24 hours now.

She is fit, healthy and active in all other respects.

She has been to the vets 3 times, they can't find anything wrong with her. Twice she has had "anti inflamatory" injections which put her right for 2-3 days then we start all over again.

Do dogs get stomach ulcers?
Is there a canine equivilant to Lansoprazole or Omeprazole (stomach medication)?
What would you be doing next??

Thanks for any help you can give.
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 04:48 PM
dont know if probiotics would help. either natural yogurt or tablets
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I can understand n have been trying to solve similar(if not same)problem. Eating grass(and other stuff, but not in past week or so), grabbing at it even when on lead and have had the grass ball surrounded by froth always at night. Have been to the vet too before n is driving me nuts as to what is the cause n how to stop it. Have antepsin liquid here n zitac which helps if flare up(from vet).Hope someone can help, shed any light on this soon n Pepsi will be ok. If was presented as a gastronomic delight with some micro herbs would be most interesting
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 04:57 PM
My dogs eat grass a lot especially at this time of the year .
My lurcher used to be sick the same sort of frothy stuff during the night or early morning .
She stopped when I started giving her a few biscuits last thing at night . Must have been the empty stomach causing it .
Maybe you could try that ?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty1978 View Post
dont know if probiotics would help. either natural yogurt or tablets
Brilliant idea that I had never thought of. I will be giving it some serious thought.

Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
I can understand n have been trying to solve similar(if not same)problem. Eating grass(and other stuff, but not in past week or so), grabbing at it even when on lead and have had the grass ball surrounded by froth always at night. Have been to the vet too before n is driving me nuts as to what is the cause n how to stop it. Have antepsin liquid here n zitac which helps if flare up(from vet).Hope someone can help, shed any light on this soon n Pepsi will be ok. If was presented as a gastronomic delight with some micro herbs would be most interesting
Thanks K9P, what is antepsin and zitac, I will talk to the vet about it.

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
My dogs eat grass a lot especially at this time of the year .
My lurcher used to be sick the same sort of frothy stuff during the night or early morning .
She stopped when I started giving her a few biscuits last thing at night . Must have been the empty stomach causing it .
Maybe you could try that ?
I have tried the biscs at night and it didn't help .... she was even more sick
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:05 PM
How often is she fed Nippy?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes sometimes empty tummies will gather acid up overnight & something really plain like Rich tea or Marie biscuits given before bedtime will help alleviate the problem

Yes dogs can get ulceration throughout the gut/bowel

You could try the dog on a very bland diet for a week or so to see if it helped

You could ask your vet about giving an antacid product last thing at night & first thing in morning & see what he/she suggests - which product to use & doseage etc
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Have you tried Pepsi with charcoal boneos/biscuits. My friend has a JRT with similar problems which were solved with the charcoal. Just a thought. Hope her tummy problems get sorted soon. xx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Antepsin liquid suspension is for forming a protective layer and healing of stomach/intestine? and zitac to help stop sickness/spasms?, sorry if not very well explained, others will know how to more, along with your vet but hope helps a little for you to know are not alone with what's going on x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear about Pepsi I am having the same thing here with Zena atm, is it the heat Jen? She throws up breakfast within seconds, so I then try lunch, that usually gets thrown up too, even though I've waited an hour after a walk, but of course, we're not even walking in this heat at that time of day either The only meal she will hold down is an evening meal at 9pm! Very strange. Could it be the heat that is upsetting them like this?

The grass is an absolute nightmare too at the moment, coz it's spring grass, it's sweet, they love it, and I've now got myself a couple of ponies here who are manic to get at it on our morning walk, so I've had to change my walking area to avoid it!

That's all I can throw in I'm afraid Jen

There is a stomach settler you can give to dogs, I've Googled it in the past and most people give it, the human one, is it pepsid bismol or summat? Lots of people swear it sorts out dicky tums, but I wouldn't take that route, I stick with a live yoghurt, and if Zena doesn't fancy anything else, she'll usually eat a bit of yoghurt first thing if she's feeling a bit sick. I'm sure it's this heat Jenny. Don't forget too, if Pepsi's been in the sea, that can sometimes cause a lot of sickness can't it, not only the fact that it's the salt in the water, but maybe a few nasties in there too!

Good luck with her, I really haven't any advice to offer, only to tell you I've got the same here, and I've almost got a dog resembling a whippet coz she's only on one meal a day now, and of course, being a large breed I daren't give her a big meal!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >