Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:56 PM

We Found a Gyr Falcon In Oldham!

I couldnt believe it last night, my partner went Rock Climbing at Running Hill Pitts in Uppermill, Oldham and a Gyr Falcon came up to them and sat on his climbing Partners arm!

A Gyr Falcon is the biggest of the Falcon Family, this one was about 3 ft and was just over its baby stage, and they are rare, to buy this bird costs over £5000!

The falcon was very tame, it was obviously a pet as it had 'Jesses' on (bells) and a identity number, which sadly he didnt get chance to note down.

My partner tried to phone RSPCA whilst it was sat on his friends arm but couldnt get through, he was on there for 20 minutes to no avail, then is credit ran out.

Unfortunetly it then went dark and the Falcon flew off...

We called the RSPCA again when he got home, it said they will look for it i the morning and then they give me a number for a Preditory bird charity in Yorkshire.
We called them too and the man said he would send out a team to try and collect the bird.
He thinks it may be one that had been missing from London!

My partner went up there trying to find it at first light this morning, he couldnt.

I hope the falcon gets home safely, someone out there will be missing it alot and very worried.

I will post a pic that was taken of the Gyr Falcon as soon as I convert a file to photobucket.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-09-2006, 02:39 PM
That must of been exciting,looking forward to pics if you can get them loaded.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Cool!!! Can't wait to see the pic.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Oh I was in Uppermill yesterday at the doctors - I will look out for low flying falcons next time Is Running Hill Pitts round the back of Uppermill where all the twisty roads are Kye? I know where Running Hill Farm is so I presume its somewhere near there.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 10:09 PM

Here is a pic of the Gyr Falcon, sorry iot took all day for me to put on on here, my puppy Jess, demands ALOT of attention!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Yep Foxy, Running Hill Pits is just above Uppermill, it is up the road from the Church Inn and Cross Keys Inn.

Ps, I meant to put up the Gyr Falcon is 2 feet, not three :-S
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Great pic . What a beautiful bird. Hope your puppy is doing fine .
They are a lot of work but well worth it. You get back a thousandfold what you put in, at least I think so.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
Yep Foxy, Running Hill Pits is just above Uppermill, it is up the road from the Church Inn and Cross Keys Inn.

Ps, I meant to put up the Gyr Falcon is 2 feet, not three :-S
Oh I see - I have never heard of Running Hill Pits and my o/h hasn't either and he has lived in Uppermill for 40 years Is it that road near Pots and Pans The Falcon is beautiful although I don't think I would like to be in close proximity with that beak or those claws
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Wow what an amazing bird, great picture, you wouldn't think they would be that friendly or brave enough to come that close, wonderful!!!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2006, 09:27 AM
wow that is a great photo i found a buzzard once(that was huge)and had the rspca out to collect it and the guy came in with a tiny box to collect it and said"you have a pigeon for me to collect?" i was like er no a bird of prey i hope the bird gets back to his owners o.k
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >