Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just a question, cant really gage from your posts if you agree with cropping or simply that you ended up with cropped dogs...

But do you buy the excuse that cropping the dogs benefits them in the work they do, OR do you think, said dogs could work equally as good with normal ears.

Maybe the sport they are doing plays more of a part in the injuries than the removal of the dew claws.

The average dog in its lifetime does not have to contend with the pounding/pressure on joints an agility dog does.......
they were compairing agility dogs with dew claws to agility dogs without dew claws
I don't know what you think happens in agility training but my two get far more crazy pounding, leaping and high speed turns in a walk in the woods than they do in a weeks worth of agility training
It was just the case the study was done by an agility vet, which is good imo because it rules out all the pedestrian dogs who never get off the lead to run about
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Would be interesting to find out if the dogs get pitying looks and if the owners are aware of people talking in low tones once they pass them.

I know that that would be my reaction. I wouldn't be able to keep the look of pity off my face (no matter how I tried) and would probably say something like, poor dog, once I'd gone past it
Yes it would, but then you could say that about many things, the pitying look at those who have bulldogs, pugs, dogs that wear coats , get carried round, and so on and so on.

Having anti feelings thrown your way is immaterial to those who own dogs that others feel pity for.

Why would it bother you if someone gave you a funny look after you had walked by
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Why would it bother you if someone gave you a funny look after you had walked by
It wouldn't unless it was for something that I knew myself was wrong, but, then again, I wouldn't need a funny look to make me feel terrible about something I had caused
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
they were compairing agility dogs with dew claws to agility dogs without dew claws
I don't know what you think happens in agility training but my two get far more crazy pounding, leaping and high speed turns in a walk in the woods than they do in a weeks worth of agility training
It was just the case the study was done by an agility vet, which is good imo because it rules out all the pedestrian dogs who never get off the lead to run about
Exactly, and until they do research on all dogs that have dew claws removed the study is a little skewered.

I don't know about you, but I cant see many dogs having to race against the clock, jumping over a course of jumps in and out of obstacles, over aparatas , up planks , through poles, all at speed, putting untold pressure on joints.

I don't know what goes on at training, your right, but I know what I see, and the pounding on joints in the ring is far more than any normal dog (even working gun dogs) would endure.

And, just maybe that's what affects these dogs in the study more so than the removal of dew claws.

Your argument was that removing dew claws is harmfull to a dog, now its changed to just those dogs who do agility? so it really does not stand up
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It wouldn't unless it was for something that I knew myself was wrong, but, then again, I wouldn't need a funny look to make me feel terrible about something I had caused
Exactly, so if I want to own a dog that you think is wrong, I would not give a flying fig to be honest (that's not personal) if you don't want to own A, B,C, then so be it, if you want to give Mr A a funny look, and mutter under your breath, so be it, but it wont register with him will it, so why would it influence his choice .
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know what goes on at training, your right, but I know what I see, and the pounding on joints in the ring is far more than any normal dog (even working gun dogs) would endure.
Hmmmm my working gundogs (who are too young to even do a full days work yet) definitely do a whole lot more exercise out on a shoot or training for shoots, than at agility training. It's a 30 second run
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Same here, I know lots of dogs with dew claws removed, and funny enough joint instability or arthritis of that area is not something I have never heard owners say that!

So do mine!

Ditto

Yes you can, you can import a cropped dog,

We have a few cropped Boxers (studs) here , that have been imported from abroad.

Do you? I know a few who own cropped dogs, and they never mention being the recipient of "anti feelings"
LOL---maybe--like the winner of Crufts , they don't go out too often. If they have been imported to use as studs they belong to committed breeders---not just pet owners.

The owner of the doberman gets stick---but she is deaf so it is irrelevant to her! She was a bit upset when she found she could do nothing at all with the first one. She thought it was just showing that would be a no no.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Exactly, and until they do research on all dogs that have dew claws removed the study is a little skewered.

I don't know about you, but I cant see many dogs having to race against the clock, jumping over a course of jumps in and out of obstacles, over aparatas , up planks , through poles, all at speed, putting untold pressure on joints.

And, just maybe that's what affects these dogs in the study more so than the removal of dew claws.

Your argument was that removing dew claws is harmfull to a dog, now its changed to just those dogs who do agility? so it really does not stand up
No I think you missunderstand
The point was agility dogs with dew claws and agility dogs without dew claws
The agility dogs without dew claws suffered arthritis far more than the agility dogs without
So two groups of dogs subjected to similar stresses

The dogs do not know they are against the clock and the super fast dogs you see running agility courses are ALSO the super fast in real life dogs
Doing zoomies in the woods with uneaven ground, random obsticals of all sorts of heights, making mad twists as they try and outrun each other is FAR more pounding and leaping and twisting than my dogs ever get on a course (and BTW they dont know they are against a clock)
I dont know what your dogs are like but I do agility with my pair because they are so fast and high energy and it is far safer for them running on a cleared flat ground with evenly spaced jumps and calm directionscompared to their normal play
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Hmmmm my working gundogs (who are too young to even do a full days work yet) definitely do a whole lot more exercise out on a shoot or training for shoots, than at agility training. It's a 30 second run
and Jet and Mia do more crazies at the side of the field than all the dogs in training put together
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yes--you can import from some countries where it is legal. You do get a lot of anti feelings from other dog owners and you can do nothing with them at any events.

rune
Weird. My friend found just the opposite. At game fairs, being out etc.. Everybody seemed to like the look.
Page 8 of 18 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »