Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i must admit, round here we have no BYB we dont even have random litters popping up. think this area is lucky.
I know of 100 quid unhealthtested bc's down your way...I bet there are plenty of others too
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I know of 100 quid unhealthtested bc's down your way...I bet there are plenty of others too
depends what you mean by my way though? in the small area that i live? the only people i know of that breed collies, health test.
ReaperMan
New Member!
Male 

03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
I can only speak from experience and I have found that generally most reputable breeders ask questions about your lifestyle and everything else to do with a dogs home and the life it will have beyond that.

I have also found that they will advise you and help you make an informed decision and allow you the chance to see the digs in action and get a taste of what is involved. That is how I chose my breeder, by talking to them and getting to know their dogs.

I could of took on a husky but knew they were far too much work for me so opted not to. I took a dog on that at the time I had plenty of time for as I was self employed, but very quickly circumstances changes and that meant a change to my life. I am lucky that I have support to help me out otherwise I dare say that Salem would be yet another victim of an owner taking on more than they could chew (pardon the pun).

I think at some point we are all guilty of looking at money and thinking I could be quids in, where most of us stop thinking like that is when we realise that our dogs have personalities and they are not our latest cashcow
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by ReaperMan View Post
unless you can commit to at least three lots of two mile walks every day, can handle the destruction and general delinquency than no, they are not the breed for you.

When I got mine my life was very different to what it is now and that is no fault of the dogs it is my own. He is a royal pain in the bottom who is stubborn and unresponsive, yet he had so much promise and is still very much part of the family.

Fortunately "stubborn and unresponsive" is not typical of the Weimaraner character.

I am responsible though and still take care of him and give him what he needs to some degree, but I do not have the time to be exactly what he needs if you can understand that. He is part of the family so we take good with bad, and things are slowly getting back on track with him, but it is hard work.

He is very affectionate and needs someone with him all the time, Weim's are not well known for being dogs you can leave on their own.

It is a shame that your dog needs someone with him all the time as of course all dogs should be reared so that they are competent and confident to be left alone.

They, like any other breed, CAN be left on their own. To be held hostage by a dog so that you cannot lead a normal life is not what most pet owners want or need.

With that having been said he is from excellent lines, so I suppose I could of just bred from him for money, but I know his ground rules are not what they should be and he is nowhere near as well trained as I had hoped, but like I say, that is my fault not his.

Weim's are lovely dogs, but also completely nuts, so only think about getting one if you can give 150% to them because that is what they need, when I got him I could, life took a turn in a direction I didn't think it would which means he has not got what I had hoped or intended out of me.

Again I am afraid I would disagree with this description, I do not consider them "completely nuts" as of course if they were they would be unable to be trained to the highest level and compete successfully in many different sports.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Not being one to comment, but I too have been called for asking questions after I have chosen my breed (not on here btw) and sometimes there is really conflicting information.

My weim is supposedly from health tested lines, and I have seen the tests, but they no longer are shown on the KC. I made my own mind up as I decided my dog was not suitable to be bred from or even worked, and as I love his little pain in the **** self and he really is part of the family (kind of like the embarrassing uncle you never invite parties) it is no skin off my teeth, but then I didn't get him for financial reasons, so the things I have found out since really do not bother me.

Just saying that is all, by the way I have gin and cupcakes if anyone is interested

Any dog that has been the subject of breed relevant KC/BVA tests will appear on the KC Health tester. So for example the only relevant KC/BVA test for Weimaraners is Hip scoring.

Many have their breeding stock eye tested too, however as the breed appears on neither Schedule A nor B they will not be listed.

The health tester will show:

Any relevant health tests of your dog
Any relevant health tests of the sire and dam
Any relevant health tests of siblings
Any relevant health tests of progeny

It is a shame that your dog is not suitable to be worked, as of course that is one thing Weimis love best, a job!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Must admit SmokeyBear I and I know of at least one other person, more then likely two have been put of wiemies as after working in kennels and never meeting a calm, easy one, I know it was kennel enviroment but the were all crazy and then some, and theres one in rescue whose the same apparently. I must of been unlucky to meet them, the enviroment wrong, and maybe them not being trained properly, or them just taking the mick out of us, but they just seemed like they were all energy and brains, and probally not suited to some homes because of this, and probally hard to train for some people if the dogs cleverer then them lol, its like my Diesel, I say he's stubborn but in reality its more likely that he's too clever and knows only to do something if theres something in it for him. Must admit though, they were all superfriendly dogs, but after sharing my home with calm hounds for years I can't imagine such a change.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
we have the odd litter of farm BCs cropping up, that i doubt would be health tested, but even then the litters of those arent often and are just when the farmer wants something else to work. i wouldnt call that a BYB, the arent churning them out, and they certainly care about their dogs. they are just old fashioned.

the only other regular breeder (and i mean in my village) breed sharpeis, and they health test too.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:34 AM
I can only speak from experience and I have found that generally most reputable breeders ask questions about your lifestyle and everything else to do with a dogs home and the life it will have beyond that.

I have also found that they will advise you and help you make an informed decision and allow you the chance to see the digs in action and get a taste of what is involved. That is how I chose my breeder, by talking to them and getting to know their dogs.

I could of took on a husky but knew they were far too much work for me so opted not to. I took a dog on that at the time I had plenty of time for as I was self employed, but very quickly circumstances changes and that meant a change to my life. I am lucky that I have support to help me out otherwise I dare say that Salem would be yet another victim of an owner taking on more than they could chew (pardon the pun).

I think at some point we are all guilty of looking at money and thinking I could be quids in, where most of us stop thinking like that is when we realise that our dogs have personalities and they are not our latest cashcow
im well aware of how to look for a good breeder. i had to do it for my first to dogs. the wiem breeder in question, i have emailed a few times, regularly go on her website, and im planning a visit to see them soon. im not thinking about having one until next year,so i have plenty of time to make the right choice. any breed of dog can become destructive if they are bored, and any breed of dog can get separation anxiety, but many do it, its all a case of bringing the dog up properly.

the bit in bold, i do not understand what you are trying to say? is it aimed at me?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Must admit SmokeyBear I and I know of at least one other person, more then likely two have been put of wiemies as after working in kennels and never meeting a calm, easy one, I know it was kennel enviroment but the were all crazy and then some, and theres one in rescue whose the same apparently. I must of been unlucky to meet them, the enviroment wrong, and maybe them not being trained properly, or them just taking the mick out of us, but they just seemed like they were all energy and brains, and probally not suited to some homes because of this, and probally hard to train for some people if the dogs cleverer then them lol, its like my Diesel, I say he's stubborn but in reality its more likely that he's too clever and knows only to do something if theres something in it for him. Must admit though, they were all superfriendly dogs, but after sharing my home with calm hounds for years I can't imagine such a change.
we have never had any in at the kennels that havent settled down, its just a case of giving the dog something to do so they arent bored. they are clever dogs and were most probably laughing at you they certainly know who their owners are and who they have to listen to. we have had plenty in work, and yes they are high energy, but i dont think they are different to looking after any other dogs that come through the doors.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Sorry Clo I missed the bit about you going to look at a breeder, good luck, your CC's probally wont know whats hit them at first wiems at the kennels I was at were always the worst, they were the bosses passion, he had always had one (I felt so sorry when he had to rehome his because the JRT kept starting fights and coming off worse, to keep both dogs safe, and his kids, as one of them liked to try and show off with dogs, and would be the one to jump in to stop it, and that wouldn't of gone well, and he couldn't find a suitable home for such a problem terrier, so had to rehome the apple of his eye who was planned to be bred) she was the best one I've seen, but she had a farm to run around in, and played with the kids, and was with the man a lot), but I do think that they are a breed that some owners (and kennel assistants) can find fun I would take on any mad EBT, or the wire haired fox terrier who attacked wellies and find them easier, them and springer spaniels (particulary one) were always the dogs that people knew would need more time and energy whenever they come in, Im sure the owners had a laugh at what we would have to deal with too, as most of them, although they loved their dogs did find them a bit difficult, but then what worth having is not worth a bit of extra time and energy?
Page 47 of 54 « First < 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »