View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:12 PM
If they advise she ties him to a radiator she needs to get a new trainer or listen to real people who have experienced these things. I have picked uploads of good tips of little old ladies who had dogs all there life.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble
With young, bouncy attention seeking dogs who need to learn to calm down and stay still.

Sorry, but any trainer who told me or tried to do this to a young pup of mine, would get short shift from me.

I once wnet to a training class with one of my Boxers, and the trainer tried somthing similar...needless to say, we never wnet back.

There pups for god sake, not machines..

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but would you not just get a puppy flinging its self around on the end of a rope tied to a radiator?

I had the bad luck once of seeing a young horse force tied, I felt sick.

Witnessed this too Shona, not a good sight , and a dog along with a horse can break a neck in an instant, with enough pressure..

Even with supervision
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:13 PM
but would you not just get a puppy flinging its self around on the end of a rope tied to a radiator?

If you do it badly yes...
If you pop it on the lead and bench it to something, with you close by and it with something tasty to chew on...no.
If you bench it and leave the room and don't leave it with anything to do...it's just downright cruel. That isn't the sort of thing I've seen or am talking about.
I am talking about benching the dog near you, with a chew, so it can be praised whe it lies down and chews and ignored if it starts to protest.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:14 PM
No i'm not adverse to helping Pidge, but she doesn't seem to want our help from her last posts because miraculously in 6 days he is the perfect pup again, she implied at the beginning of this thread that she wanted help and advice on woody, but today has come back on and in my eyes has said. well actually no i didn't need your advice because the thread was all about me having a bad day.

and FWIW i'd rehome him, because at this moment in time i can't see anything that unsusual in his behaviour, certainly nothing that would say to me unrehonable.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, but any trainer who told me or tried to do this to a young pup of mine, would get short shift from me.

I once wnet to a training class with one of my Boxers, and the trainer tried somthing similar...needless to say, we never wnet back.

There pups for god sake, not machines..

Witnessed this too Shona, not a good sight , and a dog along with a horse can break a neck in an instant, with enough pressure..

Even with supervision
With a young pup it's a definite no from me too. Woody is nearly 9 months old though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Yes you would, most definitely, not that I've ever done it myself, or felt the need! I too have witnessed the same in a horse..... but the horse died!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:20 PM
omg pidge, you must be totally bamboozeled by all this information at your hands lol. my eyes have gone funny from catching up on the thread. i nearly died when i seen 35 pages, as my last post was on 17 or something lol

I agree with some people on here, you may be going a little bit too fast with him and it may be worth just going back to basics, and when you bring new commands in just bring one in at a time and wait until he has learnt that one fully before moving over to another.

when training pepsi i always bring one / two commands in and then when she has learnt it i incorperate the others that she already knows. just to make sure that she is not getting confused by them all.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
If you do it badly yes...
If you pop it on the lead and bench it to something, with you close by and it with something tasty to chew on...no.
If you bench it and leave the room and don't leave it with anything to do...it's just downright cruel. That isn't the sort of thing I've seen or am talking about.
I am talking about benching the dog near you, with a chew, so it can be praised whe it lies down and chews and ignored if it starts to protest.
Im not into this idea at all, Never have I heard any trainer I know recomending it, Im quite shocked that its happening to be honest, why not just crate the dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Im not into this idea at all, Never have I heard any trainer I know recomending it, Im quite shocked that its happening to be honest, why not just crate the dog.
You don't always have a crate with you and not all dogs settle in a crate...they can injure themselves in there too.
I've PM'd you
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
This is a strange thread. It went from everyone giving Pidge advice and support, to Pidge saying she was feeling much better (all great so far), then a few members decide to have a go?

What's that all about? TBH it looks like sour grapes on the part of some people who have given advice (and it was all good advice IMO) but then found out that Pidge was listening to her behaviourist/trainer only.

If there's one thing I learned in the past two years it is:

You can't FORCE someone to take your advice. You can give it. Then what the other party does with it is up to them. There is no point slating the OP for posting when she was in a highly emotional state. We've all done that at some point (I know I have).

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone
I for one haven't posted alot in the past in Pidge's posts, and the reason being for that was purely because alot of them have all been negative attitudes about Woody.

We all get negative days....but I am sure if you spin it round you will find positives.
As far as I can remember, Pidge started a post about Woody biting Hubby's ankle...now I maybe wrong because again I didn't really read through everything, but alot of people offered advice, as i saw it Pidge said she was seeing a behaviourist where she worked PDSA....then almost within days was posting again with ''serious bevaiour issues..good vibes please'' and opened with talking about possible PTS etc.,

Now i maybe wrong but I think if we ALL cast our minds back we ALL have had bad, stinking, days with our dogs....and we ALL have days where we could tear our hair out.

I think Pidge has had these day, and maybe lots of good days....but she does post alot of negativity and my concern, when I replied to this post was simply because it frustrated me....nothing more nothing less....but if your so negative, that will transmit to the dog, and for me poor Woody must be getting mixed messages.

As regards benching, I have already said to Ramble, yes I have seen it work....but not in the hands of novices...sorry Pidge is a novice when it comes to it. Plus that came across (maybe she worded it wrong) as a way of showing Woody his bedtime/chill out time...whatever you wish to call it....whilst Hubby and Pidge had some quality time.
Now to me (and I have three dogs) if you want quality time, snuggles time, time to have romantic dinners etc., unfortunately you have to be prepared to jump up and down to let the dog out or stop it from doing something,.....or as in this house...just put up with Zoomies.
Closed Thread
Page 36 of 44 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 > Last »