Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by spaniel04 View Post
What do you do when she ignores your recall?
Usually I hold the longline at the length it's at so she can't go any further, walk towards her while collecting the line in & then take her in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You may not wish to reel her in, but on the other hand every time you allow her to practice inappropriate behaviour that behaviour will get stronger, so whilst reeling her in does not TEACH your dog to RECALL, it DOES teach her that failure is not an option.
I was just always told that tugging her towards me when she was ignoring me didn't teach her anything but to ignore the original command. I feel so confused, like I've been doing the wrong thing the whole time & maybe that's why I've been struggling so much

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
For a start - you seem to be making the mistake of correcting a behaviour. Ideally you should learn your dog's signals that precede the behaviour and prevent the behaviour from happening.
The problem is that there isn't a signal when it comes to birds because the signal comes secondary to seeing the bird. For example, I can tell when she's getting bored of training by her behaviour so I stop because I don't want her to learn to ignore me but with birds I can't anticipate & prevent the behaviour because there is no behaviour until she sees the bird - and she always sees the bird before I do, so I can't stop her until it's too late.

I just don't understand what I can do to prevent the behaviour when I can't anticipate it. Am I better off just trying to do damage control once she does see a bird and then trying to slowly train her from there?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:12 PM
It is difficult over the internet, would you not consider investing in the recall class near you in October>
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2012, 09:16 PM
1 tip iv got, is to get down on one knee.and its more about how you click with your dog,for me.the dogs who have been the closest, tend to do better with recall,and lots to do with personality..imo,and respectfully
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
1 tip iv got, is to get down on one knee.and its more about how you click with your dog,for me.the dogs who have been the closest, tend to do better with recall,and lots to do with personality..imo,and respectfully
I have noticed that she responds better when I'm at her level as opposed to just standing up actually, so i'll definitely try kneeling when I call her

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is difficult over the internet, would you not consider investing in the recall class near you in October>
I do desperately want to go & have no doubt that it would help but I'm not sure whether I'll have the money for it as things will be quite tight financially for the next year and Molly is having an operation next week which isn't going to be covered by my insurance. I just don't want to spend £145 + train fare and then find out I need it a week later for an emergency vets trip

I do really appreciate the help I'm getting, despite how difficult it is to give help over the internet
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Here's a thought: how about training a rock solid 'stop' or 'stay' instead of a recall...?

I know it's not a total replacement, but perhaps for some dogs it's a better option? I have used a 'stay' sometimes with Dex when the temptation of a nearby dog looks like it will prove too much for him - when recalling him was not realistic because I knew he would not obey, I got him to 'stay' instead. So he was not 'rehearsing' chasing another dog, which was a good thing.

Just a thought

Also, have you tried using a whistle instead of a verbal recall...? Again, just a thought

I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is! Dex is off lead at our local park but when we go anywhere else, he's on the Flexi while we practise recall at the new locations.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Time to relax and dream perfect recall. Good night and don't despair. Just because things haven't worked out so far, doesn't mean they can't change.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 10:23 PM
SMOKEYBEAR - I've asked my mother and my boyfriend if they could contribute towards the cost of the training seminar for my birthday and they have agreed which means I should be able to afford to go

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Here's a thought: how about training a rock solid 'stop' or 'stay' instead of a recall...?

I know it's not a total replacement, but perhaps for some dogs it's a better option? I have used a 'stay' sometimes with Dex when the temptation of a nearby dog looks like it will prove too much for him - when recalling him was not realistic because I knew he would not obey, I got him to 'stay' instead. So he was not 'rehearsing' chasing another dog, which was a good thing.

Just a thought

Also, have you tried using a whistle instead of a verbal recall...? Again, just a thought

I really feel for you, I know how frustrating it is! Dex is off lead at our local park but when we go anywhere else, he's on the Flexi while we practise recall at the new locations.
Actually, that sounds like it could be a fantastic idea as those are the commands she responds to most strongly when we're at home! I definitely want to try and work on her recall but I think an emergency stop would be a great alternative in the mean time

I've tried a whistle a few times but she responded to it even less than the verbal commands!

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Time to relax and dream perfect recall. Good night and don't despair. Just because things haven't worked out so far, doesn't mean they can't change.
Thanks for all your advice
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey that sounds great, remember it is cheaper to go as a spectator than a handler.

I think being able to see a wide variety of dogs, techniques and problems can be very useful.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 07:08 AM
I used stay rather than a recall with Shadow because I simply could not get a reliable recall but easily got a reliable stay. Rupert also found it easier to stay than recall when he'd spotted prey. If I got it in there the instant he spotted it anyway, once he was chasing there wasn't a hope in hell of a recall, a stay or anything else. I could have done a freaking rain dance and played the drums while draped in garlic chicken and he wouldn't even have noticed me once the chase began.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
SMOKEYBEAR - I've asked my mother and my boyfriend if they could contribute towards the cost of the training seminar for my birthday and they have agreed which means I should be able to afford to go

That's great news - perhaps you can give us an update after you've been?

Good luck!

Wys
x
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >