View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Poor Georgie - and poor you, what a shock! I do hope it isn't anything to worry about. I don't need to tell you, but obviously keep an eye on him and any recurrences off to the vet with you. Fingers crossed he will be fine x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 03:38 PM
So glad Georgie has recovered as the day has gone on - I am sure dogs know when it is a holiday weekend Hopefully you will not need to see a vet and maybe just a one off - really hope so. Lots of hugs to Georgie.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh no! Poor Georgie! Thinking if you and hoping that it doesn't happen again x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:23 PM
O gosh Helena I've only just noticed this thread! Phew - sounds like the old boy is OK now, but what a scare!

I used to know a horse that did this, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the cause was. He was an old horse and I could no longer ride him and he was deemed to be dangerous. it didn't seem to bother him at all, he got up of his own accord eventually, and got on with life. I wish I could remember what it was.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Poor Georgie - and poor you, what a shock! I do hope it isn't anything to worry about. I don't need to tell you, but obviously keep an eye on him and any recurrences off to the vet with you. Fingers crossed he will be fine x
Thanks Kirsty. The worst bit was when he collapsed again trying to get up the steps, he looked quite scared actually, but we helped him and shut Zena away.

Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
So glad Georgie has recovered as the day has gone on - I am sure dogs know when it is a holiday weekend Hopefully you will not need to see a vet and maybe just a one off - really hope so. Lots of hugs to Georgie.
Oh yes Sue, it's always a Friday or a holiday week-end isn't it! He's been fine all day, so I'm not rushing off to the vet yet, just waiting to hear back from the one I need to speak to.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Oh no! Poor Georgie! Thinking if you and hoping that it doesn't happen again x
Thanks Amanda, just gotta keep a good eye on him now.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O gosh Helena I've only just noticed this thread! Phew - sounds like the old boy is OK now, but what a scare!

I used to know a horse that did this, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the cause was. He was an old horse and I could no longer ride him and he was deemed to be dangerous. it didn't seem to bother him at all, he got up of his own accord eventually, and got on with life. I wish I could remember what it was.
I'm actually wondering whether it's some kind of mini strokes, coz I remember my old mum saying her legs would just "give way" underneath her and she had lots of those? He had no problem trotting down the garden carrying that hefty old bone though did he!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Oh no! I have only just noticed this

Poor Georgie, I have no advice to offer but wanted to send big healing (((hugs)))
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks Pilgrim, I think I've been overdoing it with him lately, just because he wanted to, but I'm going to cut his walks back a bit and see how he goes from now on. I'm really hoping this isn't the start of something ongoing I really am, but I don't think so from the way he's been today.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Could it be the heat taking it out of him? He`s got a very heavy coat.
Maybe a good rake through the coat and (forgive me) a bit less food would help? Old dogs do better if they`re on the lean side.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Could it be the heat taking it out of him? He`s got a very heavy coat.
Maybe a good rake through the coat and (forgive me) a bit less food would help? Old dogs do better if they`re on the lean side.
I can't reduce the food anymore sadly Claire, the vet told me it's his cushings that makes him this way now (along with the steroids). He only gets ONE cup of blooming kibble a day split between two meals, 4 raw carrots, 2 fish sticks and a bit of chicken thrown in with the kibble (all 2" of it each time!), how can you possibly reduce that??? You can't can you The vet explained to me about this weight problem, he said I will never change it now, and I've been seeing the vet every fortnight for the past 3 months with him

He has his weekly bath, then he gets a good raking when it's dry, so apart from shaving it all off I honestly don't know what to do. I have shaved his belly off for the summer, but I'm not going to do that ever again, because of the wet and moist and the heat right up against that skin, I swear that's what caused all this mange business (along with the cushings of course which the vet keeps telling me has caused it). Devil and deep blue here Claire.

Maybe I should book him in for some hand stripping just to let the air get into his coat. He isn't hot though, he isn't panting not even overnight, he always finds the coolest spot, he's in and out of the pool when he feels like it too.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 04:51 PM
What a fright he gave you,sending gentle hugs for Georgie and you too xx
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >