View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Its still quite early to start growing stuff even from seeds around April onwards is best given the climate.

Yes when seeds are growing they do need to be covered and kept at a higher temp.

It could be that they have been started to early, if you have any seeds left plant them around end of april and see if that is any better xxxxxxxxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Yea well that's me...over enthusiastic there ok, not wilting or anything just slowed down. I'll pop a plastic bag over each and warm them up.

According to another forum some people have started their toms as early as Jan and their doing well. BTW it's a great place for anyone who is new to all this and to the veterans too, if anyone wants the link let me know coz I don't know if I can post link on here. Mind you it has nothing to do with dogs so it should be ok.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Its still quite early to start growing stuff even from seeds around April onwards is best given the climate.

Yes when seeds are growing they do need to be covered and kept at a higher temp.

It could be that they have been started to early, if you have any seeds left plant them around end of april and see if that is any better xxxxxxxxx
Thanks sis xxx You can come and see what I have done and let me know where am going wrong

xxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Have joined sis under stevie xxxxxxxxx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Yea well that's me...over enthusiastic there ok, not wilting or anything just slowed down. I'll pop a plastic bag over each and warm them up.

According to another forum some people have started their toms as early as Jan and their doing well. BTW it's a great place for anyone who is new to all this and to the veterans too, if anyone wants the link let me know coz I don't know if I can post link on here. Mind you it has nothing to do with dogs so it should be ok.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/
I always find tumbling toms take ages & stick a polythene bag over them might help - I have given up on them in the past & waited a month & bought a few plants from the garden centre

I saved some seeds from a purple pepper I had last year (not from a pkt)& wondering if these will grow.
My rocket is coming & I planted my spinach on Sunday in trays - I keep looking at windowsill stuff waiting for a miracle oh & my huge poly tunnel arrived & hub insisted on building today while I was out (I did say I don't actually need it built until May!) but men just love building things, I just hope it doesn't take off
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I normally don't like eating anything leafy but i love spinach! I expect if I grow it then hardly any will make it as far as the kitchen - bit like my pea's last year!

The polytunnel on Ebay looks brilliant! Wish i had room for one!
I got one for £58 on ebay the same - it's huge looks like an anderson shelter!! (not that I'm old enough to remember them - but have seen them on tv )
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Have joined sis under stevie xxxxxxxxx
You'll like it it's a good forum
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Have to admit havnt even started my toms off yet,is there any draught around, or is there a chance that the window ledge gets very cold at night? if i were you I would start some more off , just in case

Jeanette
Was just about to say the same.

I'm planning and preparing my herb garden at the moment with mint (in a pot though as its a cheeky little thing), rosemary, thyme and am also planting a windowsill herb garden for the ones I use frequently in cooking such as basil, sage and oregano. I am yet to successfully grow coriander though which is a shame as its a herb I use all the time!

Veggie wise I will do the usual tomatoes and chillis. I might do apache chillies again this year as last years batch proved very hardy and lasted until December. The colours are beautiful. I am also going to try potatoes for the first time and peppers, romano if possible so any tips greatly appreciated.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:20 PM
There's a tip in gardeners world - if you grow hanging toms with basil they are tastier - I might try this. Basil is really easy to grow
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 06:26 PM
You should also grow them near mint to keep the nasties away ;o)
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >