Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
and you think thats ok?
Yes just because a dog is 6 months or 6 years doesn't change much. Though obviosuly you have to make allowances for attention span ect.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I agree totally.

the thought of using one on a 6mth old pup..

Adam, how would YOU teach a nice heel WITHOUT a pinch collar, and under what circumstances would YOU use one on YOUR own pet?
I would use the about turn technique (any collar) coupled with rewards for being on a loose lead.

Re own dogs, very rarely on lead so have never used one. Besides they walk to heel on or off fine anyway.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
My concern was the damage being done - if the dog is not responding to the prongs - you would want to release the pressure - how would you do this if the dog was pulling?
Not sure what you mean, if the dog is pulling on the prong I would either turn or pop the lead.

The turn makes the dog follow you which releases the pressure (neg reward) and the pop and release inhibits the dogs forward momentum and also releases the pressure (neg reward) I would then praise/feed/squeak toy ect.

Adam
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If the dog is pulling agaianst the prong the prong itself is not a strong enough correction, e;g the pressurte pulling on it creates. So you would apply a stronger correction.

Most people intro prongs by having the dog on a 6' lead and doing several sharp about turns (think Mic martin on dog borstal) This is a very effective way of teaching the dog to keep a loose lead and follow you.

You can also use prongs with the standard pop and release lead correction, this also works fine.

Adam

It amazes - and scares me - how you don't seem to be able to realise that this is downright cruelty!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ON7vqTMUw

Adam
Poor dog. My stomach churned when I saw him put the cruelty collar on. Even more so when he yanked it. Awful.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
I would very much like to see prong collars added to the partial ban They are sickening items of torture that can cause a lot of pain to dogs & have no place in modern training practices.

I am also extremely sad at the thought that someone puts them on a 6 month old puppy ~ absolutely hideous ~ but from someone who purports to be an "expert" in training by the use of harsh & painful punishment, I shouldn't really be suprised

And Adam ~ both the examples you gave could just as easily been taught using kind & positive methods rather than by torture. And what about looking at the underlying picture from the dog's point of view. You clearly only see "tip of the ice berg" behaviours that are inconvenient to the owners & obviously don't give a jot about the dog itself ~ and don't bother putting out that lame old excuse that the dog may have been pts if it hadn't had to learn to suppress itself because of being subjected to such cruelty ~ it doesn't wash & you have absolutely no facts or evidence to back it up.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
That's disgusting - and I would consider it dog abuse.

This single post has pretty much convinced me they should be added to the partial ban, btw.
Yep me too, Azz. Not that I wasn't convinced before, but once you find out just exactly what is recommended... isn't is just disgusting?

It is total abuse, but for some godforsaken reason, gets called "dog training"

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post

. The traditionally trained ones were offering a lot of calming signals, hesitant at trying new things, and just didn't seem anywhere near as happy while working. And this was far from a harsh class as classes go.
I see this too, it's very common, and a bit sad to see .

Wys
x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
WW

Both dogs I gave examples of had extensive reward based training, it hadn't worked, what then kill the dog?

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 22 of 71 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »