Christine
Dogsey Veteran

18-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Sorry don`t know S/B but I won`t allow that r/up anywhere near our place
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2006, 01:23 PM
A plant thats invaded Canada is Loosestrife, it chokes out our wetlands, & south of us a ugly one called Kudzu, sounds a lot like that Japanese Knotweed.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Can anyone tell me how to kill Akebia quintata? It does not respond to Roundup
Hi SB

Roundup is the best weedkiller out there being non selective and systematic,but unfortunately some weeds/plants are covered in a waxy outer covering which stops the chemical getting inside.

The way round this is to stamp on the foliage to bruise the plant-then spray liberally.Some persistant weeds need continual applications (like Jap knotweed over 3 years) to kill it off entirely.The most important thing you must remember is only apply Roundup during the weeds growing season otherwise its a waste.

Another option if you can get it in Australia is Sodium chlorate weedkiller-this looks like sugar and you dilute it with water (hot is best) in an old watering can.This will kill anything and im talking bulbs,shrubs,trees if the dosage is high enough! The only downside is-it poisons the soil for atleast 12 months and nothing will grow.When i bought this house,there was loads of bramble at bottom of garden so i gave it about 3 double doses of sodium chlorate and it all died off within a month.Unfortunately,the grass in playing field on otherside of fence also died for 3 years... It is banned in some countries cause it used to be a key ingredient with bomb makers (with other chemicals obviously) so best check with your goverment.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Thank you Steve I wasn't aware that Roundup was effective only during the growing season, that is probably where I have been going wrong. I will see if Sodium chlorate is available as it sounds just the thing to kill off onion weed which infests an area in one of the paddocks. I will do without grass if I can get rid of the vile weed
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 10:20 PM
SB, I think I'm going to throw my seeds out, didn't realise how bad they were
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Thank you Steve I wasn't aware that Roundup was effective only during the growing season, that is probably where I have been going wrong. I will see if Sodium chlorate is available as it sounds just the thing to kill off onion weed which infests an area in one of the paddocks. I will do without grass if I can get rid of the vile weed
I dont know if you smoke SB,but dont let anyone go near the foliage smoking for a day or two after using sodium chlorate as it becomes very flamable.The tub will have a warning sticker saying 'oxidising' and despite adding fire suppresants-it still burns.Its very cheap though!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

19-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
I dont know if you smoke SB,but dont let anyone go near the foliage smoking for a day or two after using sodium chlorate as it becomes very flamable.The tub will have a warning sticker saying 'oxidising' and despite adding fire suppresants-it still burns.Its very cheap though!
Yiles Thank you for the warning. The onion weed is next to the site where we burn our garden rubbish!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

19-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
SB, I think I'm going to throw my seeds out, didn't realise how bad they were
It is dreadful stuff MC. Our neighbours planted it in their drive. It has smothered several of their trees, including a beautiful Blue Spruce, and is now trying to take over our drive. I shall first try Steve's suggestion of breaking/bruising the foliage and using Roundup. If that doesn't work I will see if I can obtain some Sodium C.

If your seeds germinate perhaps you could grow it in a pot and have some control over it? It grows happily everywhere else so I don't see why it would not thrive in a pot.
Jamie.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Can anyone tell me how to kill Akebia quintata? It does not respond to Roundup
plain old bleach for washing clothes
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >