View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-02-2007, 05:27 AM
In my experience, they really do bounce rather than break most of the time!

Jake's often hit the ground with an almighty thud trying to catch a ball on slippery ground. (Once flipped right over in the air on a pile of wet leaves! ) He pretty much always jumps straight back up for more. Just a few times, he seems to get a stiff muscle or something for a day or two but that's usually for no apparent reason...

I suppose it might be the shock of hitting the ground hard that might sometimes make 'em yelp etc. I'm guessing my mad lad has done it so often now he's used to getting his breath back quick.

Like lovezois mentioned, sometimes it's best to play down the incident rather than drawing attention to any slight ache or bruise that might have resulted. (applies to pups and chilblains!)
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Glad Ivan is ok after your scare.
Have you got the ring on the back of the harness aswell as the front one,I use a double ended training lead and clip the small clip to his ring on the front and the large clip on the ring at the back of harness it gives you a bit more control.
Am trying the harness as Ollie really hates the head collars and refuses to go out for walks.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 12:58 PM
it's not funny when they lunge.

Hector was the worlds best at this.Now he's begining to mature he's calming down and becoming the gentle docile dog they are described to be, but under 4 years old they're thugs if they have a mind to be, dont be fooled!!

the best way to prevent this is to give a treat when another dog comes into view and continue doing this, gettting ivans attention, until the dog has walked passed. it takes a long time but i found it to work.

good luck with ringcraft, it might help him by seeing other dogs on a regular basis and by learning he cant say 'hello' all the time.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
( I imagine he is if he isn't showing any signs of pain).
Problem is that they don't always show their in pain, this has been mentioned in few other threads.

What signs do you look for if there's no blood, no obvious joints out, etc.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Problem is that they don't always show their in pain, this has been mentioned in few other threads.

What signs do you look for if there's no blood, no obvious joints out, etc.
reluctance to get up, limping, not eating and yelping.

a good massage of the limb when it happens usually helps and it also give you an indication if there is any pain.

Hector used to hold his leg up for a rub when he pulled up, big softy, just like kissing it better for a child
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2007, 08:31 PM
julie your lucky with h toby just ignored the treat when others were around, he would look take it then drop it........grrrrrr
he started getting better when he hit 2 ish but your right if they wanna go they will and its hard to stop em.
if a leo lunged i dare say they can take most ppl off their feet.
just 1 of the many training issues that has to be over come with a leo i don't think ppl really know what your dealing with and the sheer problem it can be to over come, its takes months.
thank god toby is 4 next month............lol roll on hol cause she still trys it on the moo.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Nic so pleased to hear Ivan was fine the next day. Sorry you missed ringcraft perhaps next week. Take care and give him a big cuddle from me and licks from my Gang.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys. He's absolutely fine today and was a total angel out on his walk today even when we did pass a few dogs. He pulled a little and was staring at them very interested but I just kept on walking and praised him when he lost interest. We'll get there xx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
sorry missed the thread yesterday so pleased he is doing well today and making friends thats great.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2