Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
I feed my dog whole eggs - both yolk and white. If you go to the BritBarf site and search it's archives you can find many discussions about feeding whole eggs.

It is fine to feed whole raw eggs IMHO>
Yup mine too... I think there are as many fors as there are againsts.. all about opinions and I chose to follow the ones that feed whole... I think if the dog was fetching his own eggs he'd have difficulty separating yolk,shell and white
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I think it is really important to do your research before you embark on raw feeding. If you feed raw you become responsible for ensuring that your dog has a balanced diet and a lot of research is needed to ensure that the emphasis is on balanced.

I had a quick look at the links that were given a couple of posts ago and noticed that liver was one of the foods mentioned as being dangerous for your dog if fed too much of it. As with any element of a raw diet balance is the key word .This information about liver is probably extremely relevant for kibble fed dogs because the kibble is a complete and whole food in itself so does not need anything else added to it because then you would be upsetting the balance of the diet.

The sites give information about certain foods that can cause problems for some dogs - which is a good thing - but one should research and research and research before embarking on raw feeding so that your decisions on your dog's diet is an informed decision. It is not the same as switching from one brand of complete to another brand of complete.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Yup mine too... I think there are as many fors as there are againsts.. all about opinions and I chose to follow the ones that feed whole... I think if the dog was fetching his own eggs he'd have difficulty separating yolk,shell and white
I would be interested to know if you think that there are any other items listed on the web sites that I posted, what list things that are bad for dogs were not really bad, or have they just got it wrong about egg white.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Hope not to start a huge debate about raw feeding......:smt002

Plan to keep giving her complete food but just wanted to know if an odd bit of raw liver/kidney maybe once or twice a week would do her any harm. I always thought you had to give pups cooked food to kill any germs etc but i know alot of people do raw feeding and it seems good for them and dog.

don't want to change her whole diet, just want to add something instead of tripe and didn't know if it would be ok raw or better cooked.

Thanks for reply's but i am still muddled. Just to add my friend who breed's newfoundlands always gives her pups eggs whole with shell and they seem well on it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Ollie gets the whole egg,minus the shell as I tried it once he dropped it on the floor then laid in it ,not easy getting egg out of a berners coat. Our breeder recommends the whole egg and her dogs are fine on it.
Suppose it is what you are happiest with doing.
Sorry shiba no advice re: raw and kibble as Ollie is fed a complete raw diet,I would say be careful though because of the vitamins etc in kibble that you don't overload.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I would be interested to know if you think that there are any other items listed on the web sites that I posted, what list things that are bad for dogs were not really bad, or have they just got it wrong about egg white.
Hi SBT - firstly I am no expert but have looked at a lot of articles about things to give/avoid with dogs. I noticed that one of the other things mentioned was apples as the pips have cyanide in them. My dog has always eaten apples and had no adverse reaction from them so - for him - they are not a problem but I don't feed anything in huge quantities so he is not getting loads of apples and often it is just a small piece of an apple rather than a whole one.

I know other dogs who eat avocado without any problem but have also heard of dogs who have had bad reactions to them. I think it may be that some dogs will react badly to some things and others may not - chocolate is one thing I would never give my dog in any circumstance - and if you are not sure then do some more research so you can make an informed choice.

I know humans who are allergic to nuts, strawberries and seafood all of which I can eat myself but in some people they can have a lethal reaction to them.

If you are in any doubt about feeding something to your dog then my advice would be don't do it as it is always better to be safe than sorry. Again research various foods and get information from many different sources so you can then decide for yourself.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Not suggesting anything is right or wrong... not my place to say... but what I said was that if you look around you'll find different websites giving often conflicting advice. I chose to follow the advice I was given from a diff source from you... it made more sense to me. As I pointed out, I fail to see how a dog would be able to separate the white, yolk and shell.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Not suggesting anything is right or wrong... not my place to say... but what I said was that if you look around you'll find different websites giving often conflicting advice. I chose to follow the advice I was given from a diff source from you... it made more sense to me. As I pointed out, I fail to see how a dog would be able to separate the white, yolk and shell.
A dog would not be able to separate the white, yolk and shell, and would not know what berry's are good for it and what are bad but it could eat the bad ones
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2006, 06:42 PM
It is very easy to get muddled re. feeding and I think as has been said each has to do her own research and then decide what is best for you and your dog.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by maebme View Post
It is very easy to get muddled re. feeding and I think as has been said each has to do her own research and then decide what is best for you and your dog.
I agree, and it has also been said better safe than sorry.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >