Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I did flyball for a few years---I think you are right about the pressure on the front legs, they hit the box at a funny angle at great speed.

Having said that it didn't appear that any dogs I did flyball with were damaged in any way except for my collie x retriever and it would have been a toss up as to what caused any joint damage for him I am sure flyball made its contribution.

As a vet said, anything you do with dogs has a pay back for them. I also think that had he been asked he'd have chosen to do the flyball---he loved it. I wouldn't do it now though.

rune
I am sure he did , the dogs I see doing it, always seem to love what they are doing, BUT, just because they love it, does not mean we should allow them to do it
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I hate to see that also, dont know where the show ring comes into the point here at all

It also makes me wince to see really fast dogs do a 2o2o contact at agility because the pressure I see on their shoulders
and it makes me sad as well to see really fast dogs given commands so late that they are tying to turn in mid air - so they land with so much pressure on their joints and sometimes skid

As I have said plenty times I do not agree with everything that goes on in my hobby or any other hobby, Im not going to say everything is hunky dory
all I can do is try and do the best i can for my dogs and try and explain the risks of other things to other people
I don't think they should have agility at Crufts until they have a decent non slip flooring. Nor do I think that there should be so much hind leg work in HTM----none of this has anything to do with showing. It just means that some of us don't try and defend the indefensible.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I am sure he did , the dogs I see doing it, always seem to love what they are doing, BUT, just because they love it, does not mean we should allow them to do it
Thats why my choice is not to do it now----which is why I wrote that I wouldn't do it now---did you miss that bit?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I hate to see that also, dont know where the show ring comes into the point here at all

It also makes me wince to see really fast dogs do a 2o2o contact at agility because the pressure I see on their shoulders
and it makes me sad as well to see really fast dogs given commands so late that they are tying to turn in mid air - so they land with so much pressure on their joints and sometimes skid

As I have said plenty times I do not agree with everything that goes on in my hobby or any other hobby, Im not going to say everything is hunky dory
all I can do is try and do the best i can for my dogs and try and explain the risks of other things to other people
Because the show ring is the one always at the end of the flack, yet on watching some of the other activities that dogs are made to do, they never seem to get the same condemnation.

Seeing some of those dogs in both fly ball and agility horrified me, and all for the gratification of an owner.

Is it any wonder some dogs suffer with joint problems, with the excessive amount of strain put on them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Thats why my choice is not to do it now----which is why I wrote that I wouldn't do it now---did you miss that bit?

rune

No, I was not having a go at you, just responding in general to your post...

That`s why I added the "wink"!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Because the show ring is the one always at the end of the flack, yet on watching some of the other activities that dogs are made to do, they never seem to get the same condemnation.

Seeing some of those dogs in both fly ball and agility horrified me, and all for the gratification of an owner.

Is it any wonder some dogs suffer with joint problems, with the excessive amount of strain put on them.
Interestingly we have had dogs with and without joint problems and done the same activities with them. Several dogs I know are crippled with arthritis and have done nothing except been walked (Billie is one of them). others have done loads and been fine. Like humans it is a lottery.

They did some research on agility dogs but I don't know the results ---I was told they found very few problems but personally I would doubt that. I think---like the Crufts judge that missed the BC being lame---a lot of people can't see a dogs lameness or just going a bit short.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 05:08 PM
There are so many things that can affect a dog, 'tis true.

I see nothing wrong with showing, but do see something wrong with manipulating a dog's looks to the detriment of it's health to win rosettes.

I see nothing wrong with agility as it's something that dogs seem to enjoy immensely, but feel it should be run on softer surfaces than that at Crufts

I agree that flyball seems to give dogs front legs one hell of a battering. I know the 'boxes' have been improved to lessen some of the dangers, but I feel there's still a way to go

I do feel that the deliberate mutilation of dogs in respect of ear cropping, tail docking, dew claw removal is totally unnecessary no matter what the sport and is deliberate cruelty when it's done purely for aesthetics

Must my opinion
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
It made sense the first time to me!

rune
It made complete sense to me as well.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Interestingly we have had dogs with and without joint problems and done the same activities with them. Several dogs I know are crippled with arthritis and have done nothing except been walked (Billie is one of them). others have done loads and been fine. Like humans it is a lottery.

They did some research on agility dogs but I don't know the results ---I was told they found very few problems but personally I would doubt that. I think---like the Crufts judge that missed the BC being lame---a lot of people can't see a dogs lameness or just going a bit short.

rune
There can be an underlying genetic predisposition to joint issues, as there is with the vast majority of problems (as I'm sure you already know)
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
There are so many things that can affect a dog, 'tis true.

I see nothing wrong with showing, but do see something wrong with manipulating a dog's looks to the detriment of it's health to win rosettes.

I see nothing wrong with agility as it's something that dogs seem to enjoy immensely, but feel it should be run on softer surfaces than that at Crufts

I agree that flyball seems to give dogs front legs one hell of a battering. I know the 'boxes' have been improved to lessen some of the dangers, but I feel there's still a way to go

I do feel that the deliberate mutilation of dogs in respect of ear cropping, tail docking, dew claw removal is totally unnecessary no matter what the sport and is deliberate cruelty when it's done purely for aesthetics

Must my opinion
OMG a well balanced post??!?! Hehe excellent post!
Page 12 of 18 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »