Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
This is my last post on this totally ridiculous and fatuous subject because I have better things to do ...

With any entire male worth his salt ... and my boys, past and present, are most definitely worth their salt ... if there is a bitch in season within a mile, will be constantly sniffing the air, territory marking probably accompanied by scrapes of the ground and growls. They will be unsettled and unusually unresponsive to commands. With a bitch in the immediate vicinity ... and in particular a bitch who has urinated for instance in the ring ... they will go frantic when smelling that spot. They will frequently yammer and salivate in excitement, and may even perform some pelvic thrusts. They don't refuse to do anything, but they are just not focused or interested in performing even the most basic good manners. This is my experience of my own and other dogs.

Obviously I don't know your dogs, I have never met them, so would not dream of suggesting that they may be like this, or indeed totally different, I would not be so arrogant as to suggest that I could possibly know the behaviour of every dog on the planet who I never met.

But that is exactly what you HAVE done! ROFLMAO
Goodnight.
Oh dear, I must tell my lad that he is "not worth his salt" and let all my other friends with entire males know that you have made this sweeping generalisation about all male dogs who, unlike yours, are "continent" and disciplined enough not to be unresponsive to commands.

Perhaps that is why OUR Dogs have mulitple titles!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I know - bloody obnoxious aren't they

No, absolutely hilarious!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 05:51 AM
One person uses a "collar" and still doesnt have control over their dog

One person "trains" their dog yet has absolute control over said dog.

1st person thinks 2nd persons dog is a robot! (would that be because 1st person is jealous!?)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:05 PM
just caught up on this and oh dear!!

i do not see myself as cruel if i wont let asbo pee up something when in the ring, hes not there to pee hes there to do a job. he goes the toilet before he goes in so i know he doesnt need it.

that is not cruel, but like you have said using an electric collar isnt cruel, so we shall agree to disagree on what is cruel to a dog.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Cripes, I only asked a general question, maybe I should have re-worded it on whether or not it is morally acceptable to show a bitch in season, I wont do it and yes I have seen males that act up when at a show if there is an in heat girl in the vicinity, obviously not everyone in the show ring has absolute control over their males. Im sorry this thread has degenerated, so maybe the answer is some do it and some dont
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
With any entire male worth his salt ... and my boys, past and present, are most definitely worth their salt ... if there is a bitch in season within a mile, will be constantly sniffing the air, territory marking probably accompanied by scrapes of the ground and growls. They will be unsettled and unusually unresponsive to commands. With a bitch in the immediate vicinity ... and in particular a bitch who has urinated for instance in the ring ... they will go frantic when smelling that spot. They will frequently yammer and salivate in excitement, and may even perform some pelvic thrusts. They don't refuse to do anything, but they are just not focused or interested in performing even the most basic good manners. This is my experience of my own and other dogs.
This is fascinating, in 40 years of having entire males actually used at stud they have never behaved in this manner but my current neutered rescue does. Perhaps its the way they are brought up as he was at least 10 when I had him.
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2011, 10:52 PM
IMO - it's not on to show bitches in season in mixed classes at Open shows - although I know some do my boy's heads being glued to the floor rather than fixed on me is testament to that but in season bitches in the ring do cause headaches for the boys - having said that - I've been on the receiving end of showing a not in season bitch who lives with in season bitches - and they have a very similar effect (often worse) on the boys.

I think CH shows are a slightly different kettle of fish as dogs and bitches are shown separately - I've done it once at a show where I was able to keep my girl out of the show buildings and take her straight in and back out of the ring - but it's not something I do on a regular basis.

The KC rules apply to the mating of bitches within the confines of the show - I am unaware of any rule governing withdrawing when they are in season.

It also depends where in her season the bitch is - the only time my boys are bothered (and then they are a pain) is when the bitch is ready for mating - outside that window, apart from a quick sniff which they do anyway - they don't want to know - these are not experienced studs - but you will probably find that experienced studs particularly would be the same.

My boys are also a good indicator of how 'nice' they smell - there's no way I would endure sometimes up to 10 hours of whinging there and back - so would be enough to stop me taking said bitch.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Personally i feel if a first season that couldnt be predicted ie: was 6-12Months old when it happened, show enteries should be cancelled whilst dogs in season but the organisation running the show should offer the dogs owners a free entry into junior the following year or another puppy class later that year in another open/champ show run by them that way owners wouldnt lose there entry fees.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:55 AM
You have never run a show have you...................
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
Personally i feel if a first season that couldnt be predicted ie: was 6-12Months old when it happened, show enteries should be cancelled whilst dogs in season but the organisation running the show should offer the dogs owners a free entry into junior the following year or another puppy class later that year in another open/champ show run by them that way owners wouldnt lose there entry fees.
I think you need to rethink that one.

lest take one show , and you have (lets be conservative) 1500 entries, two thirds of that will be bitches, there is always more bitches than dogs......

At any given time of lets say 8/900 of those bitches 1/2 , 1/4 or so will either be in, coming in, or coming out of a season..

And your really suggesting that the shows should be cancelled
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >