View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks all Everything is still absolutely fine here, so that's now 3 days since Zena has shown any signs of regurgitating any of the large meals I've been giving her, so that's gotta be a good thing.

I decided to discuss things with Dave last night, even though his usual reply would be "no good asking me" and then he said "look at her" as she was leaping about in the air with her squeaky ball, with her glossy shiny coat an absolute picture of health...... then he said "if it aint broke....." So now I feel, if anything untoward should go wrong, he's gonna blame me for having it done His opinion is, we should take it week by week. Afterall he says, it's not as if you've got to book these tests weeks in advance, they can always be done within one or two days, or immediately if an emergency, so I'm now going to ring the vet yet again (she'll get fed up with me won't she!), and see if we can maybe do what Dave suggests.

If she was the same as she was last week, then I'd be in there like a shot, but seeing how much she's changed since Sunday, I'm sure she even feels a lot better in herself, she's gone extra loopy this week, she is eating so much better too, not even wanting to gulp it down, she's eating nice and calmly and slowly just like Georgie does and she's keeping it all down. Yes I know it's the change to soft food, BUT, she can still hold down her crunchy fish stick treats or raw carrots, so even if there is/was a partial blockage in the esophagus then that would be causing this regurgitation that I had for 5 days last week wouldn't it?

Sorry, I'm boring you now, but it's such a dilema for me, coz I remember how she was when I took her in there for her spey, and the state she came out in, and then got a wound infection, so of course, I'm very reluctant to let them have her for a day with that memory going on in my mind.

Oh jeeeeze, why do I have these dogs!!! I know the answer to that one though
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Glad she is better this week H, I think I agree with Dave, and see how it goes, just keep an eye on her, and with a more careful feeding routine, you may have found the answer.

I `m with you on the "why do we do it"! but you know the answer to that one ...as we all do!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Glad she is better this week H, I think I agree with Dave, and see how it goes, just keep an eye on her, and with a more careful feeding routine, you may have found the answer.

I `m with you on the "why do we do it"! but you know the answer to that one ...as we all do!
Thanks Jackie, I think he is too. You never know, this soft food just might have pushed something through, or if her stomach was irritated, it might well have helped things out, just don't know do ya! Aneasthetic is ALWAYS a risk, don't care what they say!!!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I have to say I agree with the 'wait and see' approach. I would cancel the vet appointment and monitor her over the next weeks and see how she goes. Perhaps try introducing more chunky food in a couple of weeks.

After all you can always book her in again if the problem recurs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Well you and Dave know Zena best and, as you say, if she is bouncing around now, showing no signs of having anything at all wrong, then I would probably do the same as you. Cancel the appointment - or at least speak to your vet about cancelling and see what she thinks, and then just play it by ear.

With a bit of luck, it may all have resolved itself now. Fingers crossed.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks Kirsty. I've just rung them and explained all to the receptionist and she agreed that yes, a GA is always a risk with a larger dog, and if things are ok now, it would just be a matter of booking her in within a week it could be done. I said to her, if the vet IS right about this megaesophagus condition, then there's nothing we can do about it anyway even if they confirm it, but having Googled till I'm blue in the face, she doesn't actually have the whole bundle of symptoms that goes with this condition. Then I've got going round my head what Inkliveeva said about her own dog doing the same thing and how the Chappie sorted him out! Gotta give it a try haven't we, and if she has to live on tinned Chappie then so be it, some vets highly recommend it, plus she gets the salmon mousse mixed in with it and sometimes egg for pure protein, I'm sure I can work something out.

Anyway, I think I'll do an explanatory letter to the vets and explain my reasons for holding off the endescope. Thanks for the input, my mind is a whirl, but thankfully, Zena's breakfast is still down and everything else is totally normal about her including her poo's and that can't be bad lol!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Glad to hear Zena is still doing well with keeping the food down.

Such a worry aren't they ? We never really know what to do for the best. But I think you and Dave have to go on gut instinct with this one.

Like you say if it all turns about again you can book her in quickly.

Wouldn't want to be in your shoes at the moment. X
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I know, it's a real dilema isn't it Lynn, as Vicki says, damned if I do! I just did a very nice 2 page explanatory letter to the vet who passed me over before he went on holiday and thanked him profusely (better than my last letter to them then lol!!!).

Just rang Dave to tell him it's cancelled and he said "good"! Might be able to relax a bit now then, but that'll be when the boiler man's fixed the boiler in a mo I think!!! Thanks Lynn.xxx
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I know, it's a real dilema isn't it Lynn, as Vicki says, damned if I do! I just did a very nice 2 page explanatory letter to the vet who passed me over before he went on holiday and thanked him profusely (better than my last letter to them then lol!!!).

Just rang Dave to tell him it's cancelled and he said "good"! Might be able to relax a bit now then, but that'll be when the boiler man's fixed the boiler in a mo I think!!! Thanks Lynn.xxx
Wow Zena is really keeping you on your toes

I think you are right to hold off at this moment, it sounds like Zena is doing well and not suffering any realy effects of the vomiting, she sounds super healthy and happy!!!

It is sooooooooooooo hard to know the right thing to do, but going with instinct is usually a good indicator, after all we know when are dogs just aren't quite 'right' so we should also know when they are ok!!!

Keep us updated won't you?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Wow Zena is really keeping you on your toes

I think you are right to hold off at this moment, it sounds like Zena is doing well and not suffering any realy effects of the vomiting, she sounds super healthy and happy!!!

It is sooooooooooooo hard to know the right thing to do, but going with instinct is usually a good indicator, after all we know when are dogs just aren't quite 'right' so we should also know when they are ok!!!

Keep us updated won't you?
Thanks DD. Yes, she certainly keeps me on my toes, and just like your own little Daisy, she's been doing that since we first brought her home with these little mystery sickness bouts, but I honestly doubt this has anything to do with those days, because in those back she actually felt sick, refused food, whereas this one was actually brought on be starting each meal (any meal!). Hopefully we've cracked it with this soft, smooth food but who knows, I could be back here again before you know it! If ever this energy of hers does run out (perish that thought!), then as you say, I will definitely know there is something very wrong with her (hmmmm, yes, we've had that too, but of course, the vet never did know what it was, so decided to put it down to a recent vaccination jab!!!! ). Thanks for your concern DD, I know what you went through with Daisy and I do hope all is well with her now and you never, ever have anything like I've just experienced.
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >