Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Feeling very upset

Hi all,
I'm feeling really angry and upset.
I had a dental appointment at 12.45pm today and i'm dental phobic,i rang the surgery on monday to make them aware of this and they said thats ok we will make a note of it.
So after a terrible night and morning feeling very anxious,i went.
I filled in the forms and was called through to see the dentist,i felt they didn't take my phobia very seriously at all He never explained what he was going to do etc,i know i have infection in my gums,no antibiotics were prescribed,no xrays were taken,nothing,he just said we will see you in a couple of weeks,never explained about the treatment i would recieve
While i was sitting very uncomfortably in the chair,i heard somebody screaming...it filled me with the fear of god,i thought it was a patient having treatment.I mentioned it to hubby and he said it was one of the nurses messing around Now i'm sorry you just don't behave like that infront of patients,let alone one who is phobic,and is shut in a room with a dentist they don't know.
I feel very let down and upset.....back to square one searching for another dentist
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I totally understand, they should have ensured you had the best treatment and care possible.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
It's not something I can understand but I do feel for you. Definately find another dentist but I;d put a complaint in writing to them as well.
Becky
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
oh no thats awful. I had to look for a long time to find a good caring dentist you should definately make a complaint
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience

It is well known that a lot of people are very anxious about the dentist and dentists should be doing their best to make visits as stress free as possible.

Hopefully your next dentist will be one who is more sympathetic to you. My own dentist is lovely, anytime I need things doing he explains what it will involve and asks if I am ok with that etc.

You have made them aware that you are anxious and they should have been more sensetive. Just the other day I had to tell our dental practice that Dave no longer wanted to see the hygenist he saw last time because she was so rough. The practice thanked me for letting them know there was a problem and put a note on the computer for him to see a 'less thorough' hygenist as they called it!

As for the nurse screaming - totally unprofessional
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks all,
I had really built my hopes up that i would get my teeth sorted...
My mom was a dental nurse,and if she had behaved in that manner,she would have had a very serious warning.
I just feel really let down,i know with the amount of work i need i can't afford to go private,so now i'm stuck...
No other NHS dentists in my area...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 04:08 PM
i would give them a ring and ask why you have to go back ?? ask is it an infection ? and ask what the next step is ?
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
poor u, i used to be a dental phobic, but after having all the treatment over the past few months im getting alot better, at least ill go in there n sit in the chair. but i was lucky i had a great dentist.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2007, 05:14 PM
make a complaint to the practice manager, they should be told that having a phobia is no laughing matter.
its bad client practice to say the least if nurses do this kind of thing esp when they are aware of the fact they have a phobic patient.
put it in writing they have offically 10 days to look into it and respond or you can take it further. there is a offical policy where you can make complaints about treatment etc on the nhs.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
i would give them a ring and ask why you have to go back ?? ask is it an infection ? and ask what the next step is ?
Inca,i really can't go back just the overall manner,non exsistant,it was like nobody likes the dentist attitude,i really tried to explain but he wasn't interested
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >