View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
have to say completely agree with Nicci - I would never give Bruno up without a massive fight - I havent had family pressure as they know what a fantastic dog bruno is - however whilst out walking with my pram and bruno I have certainly had some funny looks - which to be honest I ignore and just happily say good morning to these people - even if one stops and starts a conversation its one more person who can meet a " bull breed" and see how wonderful they are.

People who do give their dogs up for fear just simply shouldnt own them in the first place if they doubt them. IMO

As for the DDA etc - its worrying as pit bull type can be deemed any number of dogs and all this case has proven is that this person was wholly irresponsible with his dog. Its tragic that its ended in a childs life.

The fact that he has previous drug charges implies that he was "known" and I think the police would have been delighted to get in that house ( albiet not under those circumstances)

The illegal dog fighting rings that have been discoevered and the seizure of pitbulls etc just go to prove that its happening like many of us have been saying for years and its only now that they are actually really doing anything about it - which is sad - why does it take something like this to happen to get them to act for animals welfare ?

All I can say is that at least with dogsey power if anything did happen with regard to bull breeds I would hope that there is many friends on here that woudl stand up and be counted with us bull breed owners to action that nothing would be done to our dogs. If the coverage continues I for one will be writiong to the papers and news channels to put my case forward of how a bull breed is in the correct hands and pointing out blame the owner not the breed should always be applied.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
They are not responsible owners of Pit Bulls anyway, they shouldnt have the dogs in the first place, they are banned. How could they possibly feel anything for those dogs or the law, knowingly owning a banned breed is illegal and irresponsible.
Dawn.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
What annoys me is the police KNOW who these people are and are now only acting becuase of these tragic events. If they had been doing their job and smashingthese illegal dog fighting rings earlier then this could have been provented. Now there are many decent loving affable pets being destroyed.
Becky
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Why should we all have to suffer because of a handful of nasty,immature,irresponsible people have totally ruined the image of the fantastic bull breeds we own and love.

I hope if it goes as far as some of you are implying, that a full investigation of the individual dog is made before any action is taken.
They take my dog they take me with him.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
My tuppenceworth.....

They can ban whatever breeds they want, it'll make no difference.The mindless idiots would just go and find another breed to use as their ego...

They can make any laws they want, again no difference. There are already enough laws in place but nobody to police them.

People drive cars without liscences, people drive cars when they are banned from driving. Teenages are given ASBOs and totally flaunt them. There have been people released from prison with tags on and still comitted more crimes. These same people who create this problem would not give a flying **** about the laws. What we need is a government that will stop spending our money on crap.. and start spending it on things that are needed. Police and dog wardens on our streets, and with proper powers to act.

My humble opinion only
Never a truer word spoken, I totally agree with everything you have said Ian.

This echos my opinioon exactly - take away Rotties, Pitt-Bulls, Dobies, GSDs and their crosses and all that will happen is they will go onto the next large powerful looking breed and ruin that one too It is the minority spoiling it for the majority here - these people currently having dogs seized and are using for dog-fighting etc, they are scum - all that will happen once they are freed is to go out and buy a different dog and do it all over again.

It seems to me that whenever the media delves deeper into dog attacks it always seems some idiot who owns them! Rarely do you hear that they were well trained, well socialized pets and the attack throughly shocked the owner to the core it was so unexpected! This latest one is a classic example drug-dealer owner, supposedly bought the dog from someone who breeds them to fight Then there were the two Rotties who attacked the little girl on the pub roof-top were rescue dogs who goodness knows what happened to them in past history and clearly didn't have quality of life stuck on a pub roof to guard all day, bored brainless - the list goes on.

What frightens me the most is another knee-jerk reaction from the Government and they do indeed ban more breeds, it simply is not the answer. I think there should be greater restrictions on WHO is allowed to breed dogs and that there should be some sort of guidelines as to criteria prospective owners must live up to before allowing to purchase. At the moment any old Joe Bloggs can breed a dog and this lunacy.

It is simply not good enough for anyone to breed dogs and any person to be able to buy them if they have enough money to do so. Just like you have to have a licence to drive a car or own a gun, you should pass certain criteria to own a dog also.

Prospective owners should have to pass some kind of test ie: prove they are responsible prospective owners, show knowledge of chosen breed, pass dog-training tests - whatever it takes so to make it harder to just go out and buy a dog and the ones who do ARE responsible and will have a well trained and socialized animal who would be an ambassador for the breed and absolutely no threat to the public
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Ozzymum,
Yes you are absolutely right. It seems everyone on this forum is worried and with good reason.

A need to pass a test and get a licence is surely the way to go.

Some members with more than one dog have said that they couldn't afford it, but surely the cost wouldn't be 'per dog' - It would be a one off cost per owner, it might cost 100 pounds, but we all spend lots more on our dogs (food and toys etc.)

Once the test had been passed there needn't be anymore cost, or maybe only a nominal ten pound a year renewal charge.

OK so the scumbags who we are talking about wouldn't comply, but it's one more thing the police could use to arrest them, it's one more thing that could differentiate the civilised law abiding society from the criminal types.

I keep saying I'll give this thread a break until we see what develops but I'm so upset by some of the things I'm reading I just can't. This is not a 'My dog farts' type of thread, this is really about serious matters which, as the owner of two large breed dogs, will effect me about a year from now.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 11:27 AM
The issue I have with 'taking a test' is that they test will either be so easy that it's worthless or so difficult that very few people will pass. After all who will come up with the questions? You only have to look at the questions in the 'citizenship' test to realise those that set the questions actually know very little about what they are setting questions for!
I think, as a start, all dogs should be permenantly identified. This will be minimal cost to all but relatively easy to enforce.
How many people on here have their dogs chipped/tattooed and have the correct tag details?
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Tests IMO are pointless, look how many pass driving tests and drive like idiots! Most people will be able to get through a test.
Dawn.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
As for a test - what about people with lower IQ's than others?
Doesn't mean they are any less capable of caring/owning a dog.

And as for licences - police can't even make sure everyone has a driving licence, so there is no hope for dogs!
Some people don't take their dogs out, so wouldn't have the chance to be punished for not having a licence.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Tests IMO are pointless, look how many pass driving tests and drive like idiots! Most people will be able to get through a test.
Dawn.
Totally agree. Thats what I was trying to say earlier. Been many threads on here about licensing and tests and all sorts of criteria being met... but the only people who will abide by it are those who are already responsible dog owners.

Police/dog warden presence on our streets with the balls (excuse my French) to use what powers they already have.... thats the only way I can see any difference being made.
Page 31 of 32 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 >