register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Nooo everyone is learning and its by having these discussion that people learn more both about rescue and breeders and dogs in general.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
just because you've been working in a field for a while, does not mean you're right.

xx
I never said it did, I was asked repeatedly what my experience was and incorrect assumptions were being made about me so I felt compelled to answer
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 10:07 PM
and that's fair enough indeed

now ladies and gents - i really must go - thank you for the most entertaining discussion!

xx
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
I accept a small few feel this way, but in my experience sadly they don't
I can believe that this is the case in your experience Allbreeds, because dogs that are most likely to hit rescue are those bred by puppy farmers and irresponsible breeders.

You have, quite understandably, a jaundiced view on dog breeders in general. Responsible breeders really are very different from puppy farmers and shouldn't be treated with the same contemp.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2006, 10:09 PM
each person is different just like each dog isn't it all about matching the right dog to owner for rescues and breeders.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I think possibly in general you may be correct but I was speaking of my own experience with breed rescue where breakdown of marriage/relationship is overwhelmingly the most common reason reason for rehoming.
depends on the breed as well in my breed - well you can imagine but thats a whole different discussion!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Responsible breeders really are very different from puppy farmers and shouldn't be treated with the same contemp.
And neither should responsible rescues!

and now im off to hug a hound. goodnight all
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 10:12 PM
There are good and bad in both breeders and rescues.

I've been mainly involved with the rescue side of things, and Storm, my GSD bitch, was adopted by me from a 10 week old pup. I've never had any trouble with her, and she's the most sweetest natured dog I've ever known

Yes, there can be more health risks with pups from rescue's, but I think that the same thing applies with some breeders.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
And neither should responsible rescues!

and now im off to hug a hound. goodnight all
I absolutely agree with you spot.

Goodnight too
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 11:54 PM
One thing occurs to me.
Look at the kind of people who come here - people who want to learn and to share.
Its a very unique forum where people in rescue, and people who breed, co-exist.
Each understands the others point of view, I`m sure of that.

The type of breeders [ and rescues ] who are not responsible, they don`t tend to come here generally.

The more we work together, whichever side of the issue we are on, the more lurkers or new people coming across Dogsey will want to learn and to share.

I absolutely understand Allbreeds pov, and I used to come across very much the same.
Even now I consider the numbers of ethical breeders in the world to be far too low - but I have found through experience that there really are some out there, and their dogs rarely end up in rescue.
I do know breeders who have taken back dogs they have bred of 8 years plus - and who kept them, not being prepared to pass them on again to anyone but to live out the rest of their lives where they were born.

No, there are not enough like that, but those who don`t take dogs back and fight tooth and nail for them, well they would`nt come under the heading of `decent ethical breeder` anyway.

Lets talk about the problem as a whole - bybs, puppy farmers, and other irresponsible breeders - they are the problem, not the rescues, not the ethical breeders, and not any individuals here who feel passionate on either side of the fence - in fact, how about we take the fence down, shake hands, and unite to educate the masses so to speak, rather than arguing between ourselves ?
Page 35 of 39 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 > Last »