Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Okay, here we go. "Debunked" is a relative word. It does not mean every single aspect of something isn't true.................

You probably attribute dogs not getting along to the owners and their failures etc. but it isn't so cut and dry. Violence is part of the dog world and we as owners simply endeavour to train (domesticate) our pets so this side never shows it's face. Doesn't always work as even a well trained dog sometimes can act out of character. It's you know... part of being an animal............................................ . And Alan Titchmarsh certainly seemed arrogant, as well.

.................................. And sorry I do not agree that a pack is a bitch, the male and the puppies they gave birth to. Do not agree with that at all. If that was the case, very little aggression of course would be seen as rarely is there severe aggression among litter mates etc.

.................................................. ..........

He's a failure because he cannot properly imitate what dogs do and it was absurd to even try, but he is not a failure because he is arrogant or wrong about everything. Some of the stuff he says isn't just total crap, but then that is my belief. You are allowed to have yours.
A pack animal when describing a wolves(which is what CM & his acolytes base their beliefs on)is to quote the OED(Oxford English Dictionary)"An animal that lives and hunts in a pack"

The pack does not consist of unrelated wolves(except the breeding pair), it is the breeding pair + their offspring from various annual litters, so when comparing dogs to wolves there are few true "packs" merely groups of dogs that may or may not be related. Even hunting "packs" consist of parents & offspring of more than one breeding pair & TBH they do not act as a hunting pack the same way wolves do, they are preselected by man.

I have 8 dogs, 2 pairs of closely related dog &bitch(full brother + sister & half brother & sister)the others are not related at all(one is a totally different breed)are they a pack-nope, they do not act as a cohesive group as a true pack does.

As for Alan Titchmarsh being arrogant-lolol-nothing could be further from the truth, however he was well armed with facts & questions for CM, who being the arrogant misanthrope he is & who like the typical "Alpha" he believes himself to be, thought his "status" from the USA would give him an easy ride. He has never been so wrong. Alan Titchmarsh is a typical straight talking Yorkshireman, to calls a spade a bl**ding shovel.

Actually CM is the typical stereotype "American" man(as in the Americas North & South)he is the leader & he is right. He knows more than anyone else(especially non Americans), does things better than non Americans etc etc

Dr. Dave Mech of the University of Minnesota, who has studied wolves in their natural habitat, claims that much of what is widely believed about wolf packs is mistaken. From observations of wolf packs on Ellesmere Island over more than a decade, he claims that natural wolf packs are not at all similar to those formed in captivity by unrelated wolves. He attributes many of the misconceptions about wolf packs to generalizations from these unnatural packs in captivity, and equates this to erroneous inferences we might draw from generalizing human behaviour from studying refugee camps.

Dr. Mech argues that the natural wolf pack is typically a family, with a breeding pair of adult wolves and their offspring, along with a few other relatives such as uncles and aunts. In such cases, the terms "alpha" and "dominant" are less appropriate than "parent." Of course, the parent wolves are both "alpha" and "dominant" (by definition), but he argues that these terms are misleading because they imply that a pack of wolves typically include multiple families and that the members assume a place in a linear hierarchy. A wolf pack should not be seen as a tribe of individuals who have an established place in a hierarchy until a younger dog usurps the role. Rather, a wolf pack should be seen as a family unit, with young wolves of age dispersing into new territories of their own, to find other wolves and begin their own family units.

Mech also states that dominance is rare in wild wolves, and does not arise from sexual competition. Because young wolves usually disperse before age two, and almost always before age three, there is little sexual tension within a pack. Instead of "dominance" and "submission," he uses the terms "assertiveness" and "passiveness" to reflect the role of the wolf in the pack. Dominant breeding pairs led the pack most of the time (71%), and initiated most new behaviours (70%). Leadership behaviour in subordinate pack members tended to be followed by dispersion
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Hmph. I don't like the tone of your post so I'm going to dip out of this thread. Seems as if you have a prejudice against him more than anything else at this point with all your unnecessary mentioning of nationalities and whatnot. I'm gone. You have a nice day.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Your dog threatens you ? wouldn't put up with that from mine, and we only show them love and gentleness in turn we are creating gentle dogs it seems. Wish we had realised that with earlier dogs who sadly we followed what people did at the time (Barbara woodhouse etc).
I beg to differ on the total gentleness concept. My dogs are on the large side with very big sharp teeth. You can teach respect by respecting your dog certainly. But it's also important that they learn early on not to challenge you. Callie has never tried to get the upper hand and whoever had him before us taught him well. Sophie tried to nip me...once. And yes reflex, I clocked her on the nose. And she has never tried anything of the sort again and that was eight years ago...nipping needs to be nipped in the bud, ditto growling or showing teeth, the food giver person rules...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 06:07 AM
I stop nipping by squealing they soon get the idea it hurts and I have never had a dog that wanted to hurt me, mainly because I try my best not to hurt them. I don't think I have ever had one since I started the gentle approach challenge me either, they respond to gentleness with gentleness. Doesn't mean they don't understand and follow my commands but we achieve that by rewards of food and toys. They know who is in charge and follow us because they know we are the source of all things good.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Genuinely curious by what you mean when you say he "threatens" you?
He did this literally just now ... I am in bed drinking my coffee and playing on oh's I pad! Ben jumped on the bed and lay down, he ignored our 'get down!' So I jumped out of bed and gently took him by the collar. I could tell by his eyes he was going to turn his head and threaten to bite me ... I just take no notice when he does this but merely keep my hand on his collar with no pulling pressure but order him again to get down, which he did. He's a git, it's just an attempt to intimidate us and get what he wants - he would never actually bite unless we tried to force him roughly ... With a damaged dog like Ben you need to be firm but gentle at the same time and you need to be able to read him well and understand correctly what his mood is - we have had him 3 years now and he trusts us not to hurt him whatever he does, but I think he likes to push us just to make sure that we would never hit him. Shortly after we took him on he bit oh badly but of course we did not physically chastise him - clearly in the past he would have been beaten
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I beg to differ on the total gentleness concept. My dogs are on the large side with very big sharp teeth. You can teach respect by respecting your dog certainly. But it's also important that they learn early on not to challenge you. Callie has never tried to get the upper hand and whoever had him before us taught him well. Sophie tried to nip me...once. And yes reflex, I clocked her on the nose. And she has never tried anything of the sort again and that was eight years ago...nipping needs to be nipped in the bud, ditto growling or showing teeth, the food giver person rules...
I agree - some dogs can be very assertive and challenging . Bens father, Hal, was a f4wolf cross and had we not been assertive with him he would have been dominant over us and a worse git than his son is! All dogs are different, but when you have a natural git you need to sort it. We had Hal as an 8 week pup so it was easy but we didn't have Ben until he was 5 and damaged goods.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I stop nipping by squealing they soon get the idea it hurts and I have never had a dog that wanted to hurt me, mainly because I try my best not to hurt them. I don't think I have ever had one since I started the gentle approach challenge me either, they respond to gentleness with gentleness. Doesn't mean they don't understand and follow my commands but we achieve that by rewards of food and toys. They know who is in charge and follow us because they know we are the source of all things good.
I disagree - they follow you mainly because you are a good pack leader - and that means not just supplying the food and shelter, but by setting your rules as to how you want them to behave with their own 'pack' as well as others that they meet during their daily lives. Presumably you have trained your dogs in the basic commands - sit, come etc. it doesn't matter how you achieve this whether it be by food reward or praising, both or neither, you are achieving the same thing. You are telling your dogs what to do and that you expect them to do it - in other words you are head honcho! And being head honcho is far more complicated than mere food shelter and security. You are leading by example - your dogs respect you, trust you and are faithful and loyal to you BECAUSE you demonstrate to them that they are safe in your care.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I disagree - they follow you mainly because you are a good pack leader - and that means not just supplying the food and shelter, but by setting your rules as to how you want them to behave with their own 'pack' as well as others that they meet during their daily lives. Presumably you have trained your dogs in the basic commands - sit, come etc. it doesn't matter how you achieve this whether it be by food reward or praising, both or neither, you are achieving the same thing. You are telling your dogs what to do and that you expect them to do it - in other words you are head honcho! And being head honcho is far more complicated than mere food shelter and security. You are leading by example - your dogs respect you, trust you and are faithful and loyal to you BECAUSE you demonstrate to them that they are safe in your care.
Well that it I guess but if I hit them or was less gentle with them that would show them I was a bully. Probably get the same result but by bullying them.

I see CM as a terrible bully small man who gets what he wants with force and pushing the dogs around.
His technique of flooding is just awful.

My first encounter with the man was watching a show where he forced a huge great dane to walk on a slippery floor I got the measure of the man that day, my way would be to lay carpet or rugs down so the dog was safe his way was insist the dog risk a broken hip just so he could impose his will on it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Well that it I guess but if I hit them or was less gentle with them that would show them I was a bully. Probably get the same result but by bullying them.

I see CM as a terrible bully small man who gets what he wants with force and pushing the dogs around.
His technique of flooding is just awful.

My first encounter with the man was watching a show where he forced a huge great dane to walk on a slippery floor I got the measure of the man that day, my way would be to lay carpet or rugs down so the dog was safe his way was insist the dog risk a broken hip just so he could impose his will on it.
Not really ... Some dogs would not tolerate physical abuse and will sooner or later react. My experience is that the closer the dog is to his wild ancestor the less tolerant he is of abuse. My boy Hal was a perfect example of that and his son Ben is exactly the same but much worse because he was beaten
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Not really ... Some dogs would not tolerate physical abuse and will sooner or later react. My experience is that the closer the dog is to his wild ancestor the less tolerant he is of abuse. My boy Hal was a perfect example of that and his son Ben is exactly the same but much worse because he was beaten
Unless you have genuine wolves I can't see any dog being close to their wild ancestry than any other. People like to think they have some wild animal but I do not believe that at all. We are as far from wild dogs now as we could be IMO.
Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 >