View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 09:42 AM
There is a man on end of my estate that has a border terrier as its the only exit off the cul-de-sac I have to pass everyday twice a day when I take Inca out.

If the dog is in the garden it goes mental when we go past, all man does is shout at it from the house. If they are out and coming the other way.. if I can stop safely and let them pass I do, but remember I am already on the road on mobility scooter with my dog walking alongside me on the pavement. He usually ends up picking the dog up and crossing the road with him.

There are also a few shih tzus with elderly owners they yap alot the couple has 2 shih tzu's and a tiny jack russell, it does amuse me that it takes two of them to control such tiny dogs when my large collie is walking alongside my chair obediently off-lead without me saying a word.

It does seem to be an issue I see more in the smallest breeds than the medium & large breeds. I can only assume they don't expect as much from them or treat them more like children than dogs.

I think like someone said on here they get away with more you wouldn't allow a big dog to clamber all over the sofa and bark at everyone going past the window but in small dogs its apparently 'cute'! (at least to the owner)

In fact there is someone with a german shepherd puppy who lives opposite a local short cut and the puppy was barking at the fence at everyone. As he's bigger now he can jump right up and put his paws on the top of the fence (low fence) which of course some people find scary and think he's going to jump over and get out to them. The owners have been told there dog will be reported as a dangerous dog if they don't stop him doing it, as as they live in rented flat they have to make sure someone is in garden with him now to stop him doing it.

I'm sure if he was a tiny Yorkie or something passers-by wouldn't find him as a frightening, but I think it highlights the point that people with big dogs have to make an effort to have them under control in public and as tiny breeds don't seem as threatening their owners tend not to bother as much on the discipline front.... after all they're small and cute so whose gonna be scared of them?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
There is a man on end of my estate that has a border terrier as its the only exit off the cul-de-sac I have to pass everyday twice a day when I take Inca out.

If the dog is in the garden it goes mental when we go past, all man does is shout at it from the house. If they are out and coming the other way.. if I can stop safely and let them pass I do, but remember I am already on the road on mobility scooter with my dog walking alongside me on the pavement. He usually ends up picking the dog up and crossing the road with him.

There are also a few shih tzus with elderly owners they yap alot the couple has 2 shih tzu's and a tiny jack russell, it does amuse me that it takes two of them to control such tiny dogs when my large collie is walking alongside my chair obediently off-lead without me saying a word.

It does seem to be an issue I see more in the smallest breeds than the medium & large breeds. I can only assume they don't expect as much from them or treat them more like children than dogs.

I think like someone said on here they get away with more you wouldn't allow a big dog to clamber all over the sofa and bark at everyone going past the window but in small dogs its apparently 'cute'! (at least to the owner)

In fact there is someone with a german shepherd puppy who lives opposite a local short cut and the puppy was barking at the fence at everyone. As he's bigger now he can jump right up and put his paws on the top of the fence (low fence) which of course some people find scary and think he's going to jump over and get out to them. The owners have been told there dog will be reported as a dangerous dog if they don't stop him doing it, as as they live in rented flat they have to make sure someone is in garden with him now to stop him doing it.

I'm sure if he was a tiny Yorkie or something passers-by wouldn't find him as a frightening, but I think it highlights the point that people with big dogs have to make an effort to have them under control in public and as tiny breeds don't seem as threatening their owners tend not to bother as much on the discipline front.... after all they're small and cute so whose gonna be scared of them?
This is a massive generalization. This is true in some cases but not all. Many small dogs get on the offensive through fear and not because they are pampered.

For example I was walking my Yorkie in the park last week. She was off lead but right at my feet, anticipating her ball being thrown. A woman at the very top of the park just entered and her HUGE Labradoodle came bombing the length of the field to get to us. I just about managed to grab Tilly and get her behind me while this dog was frantically trying to sniff her. She is fine with dogs that act calmly around her but is terrified of rude dogs. If something that was a good 20 times my size was trying to leap on me I would be terrified too. Sadly this happens regularly by out of control LARGE dogs and consequently she displays fearful barking on the lead. Frankly I can't blame her.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

For example I was walking my Yorkie in the park last week. She was off lead but right at my feet, anticipating her ball being thrown. A woman at the very top of the park just entered and her HUGE Labradoodle came bombing the length of the field to get to us. I just about managed to grab Tilly and get her behind me while this dog was frantically trying to sniff her. She is fine with dogs that act calmly around her but is terrified of rude dogs. If something that was a good 20 times my size was trying to leap on me I would be terrified too. Sadly this happens regularly by out of control LARGE dogs and consequently she displays fearful barking on the lead. Frankly I can't blame her.
I agree in this case the large dog was at fault or rather the owner of the large dog, unless she genuinely didn't see you or your tiny dog until after her dog had charged off in your direction.

I think I'd worry with a dog as tiny and fragile as a Yorkie or Chihuahua. I'm in a country village so most small dogs around here are JRT and small spaniels or that kind of size so a little more robust.. a few with breeds such as, shih tzu, toy poodle etc. Mostly big dogs around here and working breeds collies, labs, spaniels, GSD etc.

I am looking for a small dog myself and it will probably be some type of JRT, spaniel or small collie cross.

All the tiny breeds I've personally know or seen (on TV) have been spoilt, have owners who dress them up in daft dresses or just don't train them or expect much from them. It is a real shame I do remember seeing a program on a chihuahua that was nearly three and didn't know how to walk properly as it had always been put in a handbag!..I found that shocking!

Whilst I can understand an owner been protective about such a tiny dog, I think they still need opportunity to just be dogs sometimes.
Luvmy6furkids
New Member!
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't find it acceptable for any dog to behave that way or for any dog owner to allow it. I know there are many toy dog owners who do find it funny or even cute when their small dog is challenging a big dog and it's not right and they really ruin it for other owners of small breeds. I have 3 small dogs the smallest only weighs 3lbs but they are always on a short leash and when my one pup barks she is always corrected. I know dogs of all sizes can be out of control but you are right in that many toy breed owners are the ones to find it funny and it is just wrong.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Maybe if we removed the 'Toy' from the title , people wouldn't think of them as babies, or cute accessories and treat them more like dogs?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
Maybe if we removed the 'Toy' from the title , people wouldn't think of them as babies, or cute accessories and treat them more like dogs?
To be fair - I think people are using the word 'toy' to describe any small breed. Most of these posts have been about terriers!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
To be fair - I think people are using the word 'toy' to describe any small breed. Most of these posts have been about terriers!
The thread title makes me smile every time I see it, for me it conjures up visions of being snogged to death by my pugs
LauraJane9
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
This may of already been said but I think people baby small dogs which in turn makes them spoilt and aggressive.

It is sad that just because a dog is cute and small that it doesn't get treated like a dog.

It is not ok for toy breeds to do this, just because they are small doesn't mean they can't cause harm, I came across a woman who's large dog is now terrified of small dogs after being attacked and was still limping from it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by LauraJane9 View Post
This may of already been said but I think people baby small dogs which in turn makes them spoilt and aggressive.

It is sad that just because a dog is cute and small that it doesn't get treated like a dog.

It is not ok for toy breeds to do this, just because they are small doesn't mean they can't cause harm, I came across a woman who's large dog is now terrified of small dogs after being attacked and was still limping from it.

Maybe that should read SOME people baby small dogs just as some people fail to train dogs of any size.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Had a very good instance of this on Friday whilst walking my very pregnant girl. I saw the couple before they saw me, little dog with a little coat on, on the end of the longest flexi lead I have ever seen. Going where it wanted and doing what it wanted. Immediately changed direction and walked the other way. To my absolute horror whilst on my way home, Cariad walking quietly by my side, they appeared on the other side of the road, little dog still on the long lead to its full extent, the absolute minute it saw us it was off, halfway across the road, barking and carrying on, Cariad immediately went on the defensive, I was fuming, and shouted to them to please keep their b......y dog under proper control, they looked really shocked as though it was my fault, yet we were walking along nice and quietly, just passed the house with the mad lab trying to get through the window and she hadn't batted an eyelid, but I don't see why I should have to put up with all this stuff, I can have all 3 of them out and not cause the hassle that one of these type of dogs can cause, and I do appreciate it is the owners because if you correct it as a puppy then it won't think it is OK to behave like that
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >