Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Don't worry he is very clear about where
meat come from.
and still happily eats it as long as someone else shoulders the "guilt" of killing it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
and still happily eats it as long as someone else shoulders the "guilt" of killing it?
Yep. Him and 99.9% of the population. We
only eat organic, ethically sourced meat.

As I say he LOVES shooting; but does not want to kill something when he does it.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Don't worry he is very clear about where
meat come from.
Tescos perhaps.

People nowadays distance themselves from where meat comes from.Does it really make any difference whether its from an abbatoir or an organised game shoot or simply someone bringing home one for the pot?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Personally, I'd much rather my child grew up seeing where their meat comes from first hand. Learning to respect that you are taking an animals life and what the actual reality of that death entails, rather than just thinking meat comes sterile packaged from the supermarket, with no real connection between a real animal and whats on the table.

I would be happy to know they could take responsibility for an animals death, rather than claim they could never kill an animal, yet use animal products killed by others, as if that somehow because their hands are clean they aren't responsible for killing any animals.

JMO
My 4 old has been out shooting with us and he understands what is happening. He has been surrounded by it since he was born. He obviously hasn't shot anything as he is too young but when he is ready, he will.

My 7 year old nephew has just started shooting an air rifle and has shot his first rabbit. They took it home and ate it.

I can say hand on heart that the majority of children I have seen on shoots have been well behaved and respectful, to people and animals. You can't say the same in your average park.

Helen
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is not what they're about.Its the social aspect with an organised shoot and despite what many think-all of the birds will be eaten.Check out your nearest rural butcher when the game season is in full swing and see how they charge for pheasant and then think-would the organiser really throw good money away?
game birds arnt a very popular meat over here, i dont know if you realise but 80% of shot game birds are exported to the continent...or so BASC claim!

[
QUOTE=Tarimoor;2594503]Some of the stereotypes that keep cropping up would be amusing, if only they weren't so misleading. Of course there are those who would prefer that everyone refrained from eating meat, that's not an accusation at any one person, just a general observation about people overall, but the fact is many people eat meat because they enjoy it. In the same way that many people listen to different types of music, or enjoy different types of activities

but i thought you were against keeping animals in inhumane battery conditions?? why dont you speak out against the majority of gamebirds kept in appaling conditions that are used for breeding?

I will not be made to feel guilty by loving and being involved with true countryside sporting and conservation activities. I would far prefer to eat a bird that has lived a much wilder lifestyle, than a chicken cooped up for a few months and slaughtered in an extremely inhumane way, so someone can feel happy that a bird hasn't been shot. I do not agree with the constant reposting of singular instances where there are gamekeepers who are stuck in the past and have committed offences, there are no news articles of course to link to to the success of many gamekeepers who enjoy having wildlife present and in the right numbers on their shoot, who would report on such a thing! But the fact is that they exist, and are growing in number, thankfully, despite all the negativity towards the sport.
lmao, so long as its 'conserving' species that dont come into conflict with the shoot though hey

you yourself just dismissed perhaps the most indepth study done on predators/songbirds...and that even with GWCT involvement...im sure if the results had shown different results you & the GWCT would have been over the moon! bet you wouldnt have been so quick to dismiss it then

stoats and weasels are in decline are gamekeepers going to do anything to conserve them ?

and why dont the GWCT team up with the highly respected BTO again to see what impact releasing those 40 million game birds is having on some of our wildlife??, its already known that phesants are one of the main causes for the decline in our native reptiles!

This thread was about foxes, it's been derailed again to include a persecution of anything to do with hunting or shooting in any form. Raptors have nothing to do with foxes except that ground nesting raptors, such as hen harriers, are at risk of predation from them, unless they get eaten by an alien species such as an eagle owl that is of course, on a controlled RSPB reserve. Never mind eh?
[/QUOTE]

i wasnt the one who originally derailed it

and funny but on the grouse moors where predator control is ruthless, devoid of foxes...you'd think hen harriers would thrive wouldnt you?? well NO theyve all gone!!
yet only next door on the Bowland estate, owned by a water company, where foxes are left to their own devices can be found the hen harriers only breeding success! how very odd!!

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/upl...tion/12570.pdf
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My 4 old has been out shooting with us and he understands what is happening. He has been surrounded by it since he was born. He obviously hasn't shot anything as he is too young but when he is ready, he will.

My 7 year old nephew has just started shooting an air rifle and has shot his first rabbit. They took it home and ate it.

I can say hand on heart that the majority of children I have seen on shoots have been well behaved and respectful, to people and animals. You can't say the same in your average park.

Helen
Yep. Considering mine's father is like a harder, Scottish version of Bear Grylls I doubt it'll be long before he takes it off into the wilderness with nothing but a knife
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
i think on the whole driven grouse moor management is particulary ruthless Gnasher...some of our rarest birds of prey are disappearing in what should be prime habitat for them
I know ... and you can see why. The price of a day's grouse moor shoot is horrendous.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is not what they're about.Its the social aspect with an organised shoot and despite what many think-all of the birds will be eaten.Check out your nearest rural butcher when the game season is in full swing and see how they charge for pheasant and then think-would the organiser really throw good money away?

People shoot because they enjoy shooting.How do you expect them to look when they pull the trigger-with a sad look on their face?
I don't need any lectures about the joys of the shoot Steve - I come from a long history of hunting, fishing, shooting on both parental and maternal sides. I just happen to be totally unable to understand how killing an animal - any animal - just for "fun", for "sport", can be described as such. I have more sympathy and understanding of fox hunting - at least the fox has a sporting chance (providing no earth stopping has taken place), and the thrill of galloping across open country with hounds streaming away in full cry after Charlie is I will freely admit totally exhilarating, particularly when as used to usually happen, Charlie escaped to live another day, older, fitter and wiser. But to stand in a line, have beaters flush pheasants over the guns in order for most of them to be blasted out of the sky is to me obscene. I won't deny the social aspect of these shoots, or the fact that no bird is wasted ... my own dogs have benefited many times from surpluses!

Now, what I can understand to be thrilling and put a smile on your face is to rough shoot ... one man, his gun and his dog ... potting a couple of rabbits and a few pigeons for the pot. Great, not got a problem with that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Yep. Considering mine's father is like a harder, Scottish version of Bear Grylls I doubt it'll be long before he takes it off into the wilderness with nothing but a knife
Oooo!! He sounds GREAT!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Helen
Very good post Helen. The fact when your nephew shot his first rabbit, and it was then eaten by the family, I heartedly approve of.
Page 27 of 31 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »