Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I am fully in support of killing for food. That is absolutely fine. What I cannot understand is why people kill for so-called "fun". I cannot see the fun at all in blasting away on an organised shoot and killing a few pheasants.
That is not what they're about.Its the social aspect with an organised shoot and despite what many think-all of the birds will be eaten.Check out your nearest rural butcher when the game season is in full swing and see how they charge for pheasant and then think-would the organiser really throw good money away?

People shoot because they enjoy shooting.How do you expect them to look when they pull the trigger-with a sad look on their face?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
and still many arnt killed instantly! ive witnessed many shoots and many birds fluttering to the ground still alive...its stomach turning!

killing animals for entertainment is all wrong full stop.
Thats what you have picker upper's for who finish the bird off usually with a priest (not the religious sort i must add-its a small lead filled batton).
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Some of the stereotypes that keep cropping up would be amusing, if only they weren't so misleading. Of course there are those who would prefer that everyone refrained from eating meat, that's not an accusation at any one person, just a general observation about people overall, but the fact is many people eat meat because they enjoy it. In the same way that many people listen to different types of music, or enjoy different types of activities.

I will not be made to feel guilty by loving and being involved with true countryside sporting and conservation activities. I would far prefer to eat a bird that has lived a much wilder lifestyle, than a chicken cooped up for a few months and slaughtered in an extremely inhumane way, so someone can feel happy that a bird hasn't been shot. I do not agree with the constant reposting of singular instances where there are gamekeepers who are stuck in the past and have committed offences, there are no news articles of course to link to to the success of many gamekeepers who enjoy having wildlife present and in the right numbers on their shoot, who would report on such a thing! But the fact is that they exist, and are growing in number, thankfully, despite all the negativity towards the sport.

I do not agree with fluffy bunny hugging conservation that maintains the belief that all animals will balance out without intervention, and it's my right to believe that, given the evidence I've read. I am a cantankerous old baggage, and I make no apologies, but I do not believe in spending thousands of pounds saving urban foxes, going so far as to remove limbs and then chuck them out into the wild to cope for themselves. I think it's a shocking waste of money that could be spent doing something far more positive for our countryside.

This thread was about foxes, it's been derailed again to include a persecution of anything to do with hunting or shooting in any form. Raptors have nothing to do with foxes except that ground nesting raptors, such as hen harriers, are at risk of predation from them, unless they get eaten by an alien species such as an eagle owl that is of course, on a controlled RSPB reserve. Never mind eh?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't read the previous pages and I don't think I am going to because this is a thread which isn't going to change anyone's mind. It's just a fact of life really.

I shoot because I enjoy it. I am not afraid to say it at all. It is not about the actual killing of things, because when I am aiming at something, particularly with an air rifle, I feel a second of regret, which could also be respect. Once I have shot something, I feel pleased that I have made a clean kill. Of course that doesn't happen every single time, and when it doesn't, either someone, or a dog, is on hand to despatch as quickly as possible. I think it is incredibly difficult for people who don't shoot, who seem a whole world away from the "hunter", to understand why. I used to try and explain to people why I shoot but tbh, I don't anymore because if someone has made up their mind, so strongly, I'm not going to change it.

I love the atmosphere of driven shooting. You get people from ALL walks of life, young and old. Whether I am beating or shooting, I love it (haven't done so much since Sam was born but will be getting back into it soon).

During the pheasant season, we eat a lot of pheasants, but only the ones which are not good enough for the game dealers. Game seems to have increased in popularity over the last few years as people seem to want to get back to "nature", and think more about the welfare of what they are eating. I know I would rather be a pheasant, reared the way they do, than a chicken in a shed for it's short life before being killed and eaten.

Just like in ALL walks of life, you get idiots, who should not be involved in the sport whatsoever. You get those in ALL sports, professions etc etc. Do not tar everyone into shooting with the same brush as those idiots.

Having worked for the GWCT, and to a certain extent now, it is a fantastic charity, which yes, leans towards Game species, clue in their title really but the research they do is amazing. I have just read about woodcocks they have satellite tagged to trace where they go. How amazing is that, we now know what they get up to and where they go. How amazing to be involved with an organisation like that. I feel proud!

If anyone doesn't like what I have said, I don't care, I get on with my life, in a respectful, legal manner. I am far too busy to even try to defend what I do to people who just aren't interested in my point of view.

Very convoluted post but have got half an eye on tea!

Helen
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I completely fail to see the logic in how shooting game birds is sick but killing a bird in a factory by people who are merely doing a mindless job is ok?!

If my OH went out right now and killed one of our free range chickens for dinner, would that be ok? How is that better than raising pheasants and then spending a whole day trying to find them before you can eat it? If we kept some pheasants here and ate them but didn't actually get involved in the hunting aspect, is that acceptable?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Some of the stereotypes that keep cropping up would be amusing, if only they weren't so misleading. Of course there are those who would prefer that everyone refrained from eating meat, that's not an accusation at any one person, just a general observation about people overall, but the fact is many people eat meat because they enjoy it. In the same way that many people listen to different types of music, or enjoy different types of activities.

I will not be made to feel guilty by loving and being involved with true countryside sporting and conservation activities. I would far prefer to eat a bird that has lived a much wilder lifestyle, than a chicken cooped up for a few months and slaughtered in an extremely inhumane way, so someone can feel happy that a bird hasn't been shot. I do not agree with the constant reposting of singular instances where there are gamekeepers who are stuck in the past and have committed offences, there are no news articles of course to link to to the success of many gamekeepers who enjoy having wildlife present and in the right numbers on their shoot, who would report on such a thing! But the fact is that they exist, and are growing in number, thankfully, despite all the negativity towards the sport.

I do not agree with fluffy bunny hugging conservation that maintains the belief that all animals will balance out without intervention, and it's my right to believe that, given the evidence I've read. I am a cantankerous old baggage, and I make no apologies, but I do not believe in spending thousands of pounds saving urban foxes, going so far as to remove limbs and then chuck them out into the wild to cope for themselves. I think it's a shocking waste of money that could be spent doing something far more positive for our countryside.

This thread was about foxes, it's been derailed again to include a persecution of anything to do with hunting or shooting in any form. Raptors have nothing to do with foxes except that ground nesting raptors, such as hen harriers, are at risk of predation from them, unless they get eaten by an alien species such as an eagle owl that is of course, on a controlled RSPB reserve. Never mind eh?
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I haven't read the previous pages and I don't think I am going to because this is a thread which isn't going to change anyone's mind. It's just a fact of life really.

I shoot because I enjoy it. I am not afraid to say it at all. It is not about the actual killing of things, because when I am aiming at something, particularly with an air rifle, I feel a second of regret, which could also be respect. Once I have shot something, I feel pleased that I have made a clean kill. Of course that doesn't happen every single time, and when it doesn't, either someone, or a dog, is on hand to despatch as quickly as possible. I think it is incredibly difficult for people who don't shoot, who seem a whole world away from the "hunter", to understand why. I used to try and explain to people why I shoot but tbh, I don't anymore because if someone has made up their mind, so strongly, I'm not going to change it.

I love the atmosphere of driven shooting. You get people from ALL walks of life, young and old. Whether I am beating or shooting, I love it (haven't done so much since Sam was born but will be getting back into it soon).

During the pheasant season, we eat a lot of pheasants, but only the ones which are not good enough for the game dealers. Game seems to have increased in popularity over the last few years as people seem to want to get back to "nature", and think more about the welfare of what they are eating. I know I would rather be a pheasant, reared the way they do, than a chicken in a shed for it's short life before being killed and eaten.

Just like in ALL walks of life, you get idiots, who should not be involved in the sport whatsoever. You get those in ALL sports, professions etc etc. Do not tar everyone into shooting with the same brush as those idiots.

Having worked for the GWCT, and to a certain extent now, it is a fantastic charity, which yes, leans towards Game species, clue in their title really but the research they do is amazing. I have just read about woodcocks they have satellite tagged to trace where they go. How amazing is that, we now know what they get up to and where they go. How amazing to be involved with an organisation like that. I feel proud!

If anyone doesn't like what I have said, I don't care, I get on with my life, in a respectful, legal manner. I am far too busy to even try to defend what I do to people who just aren't interested in my point of view.

Very convoluted post but have got half an eye on tea!

Helen
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I completely fail to see the logic in how shooting game birds is sick but killing a bird in a factory by people who are merely doing a mindless job is ok?!

If my OH went out right now and killed one of our free range chickens for dinner, would that be ok? How is that better than raising pheasants and then spending a whole day trying to find them before you can eat it? If we kept some pheasants here and ate them but didn't actually get involved in the hunting aspect, is that acceptable?
Three excellent posts !!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 06:06 PM

This is very much how I view it tbh.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Gnasher yes, I think after almost 20 years our garden is fairly balanced too and yes we have had a hedgehog
in and mice and yes probably rats too ( eugh).

After not allowing my son toy
guns etc as a young child, I now have a pre teen who spent the day clay pigeon and rifle shooting in the summer.
He loves shooting. A lot. He seems to have a good eye as well. Thing is, I cannot see him ever wanting to kill a living thing. He has said he doesn't understand where the pleasure would be. Perhaps he will change his mind one day but I
Can't see it..
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Personally, I'd much rather my child grew up seeing where their meat comes from first hand. Learning to respect that you are taking an animals life and what the actual reality of that death entails, rather than just thinking meat comes sterile packaged from the supermarket, with no real connection between a real animal and whats on the table.

I would be happy to know they could take responsibility for an animals death, rather than claim they could never kill an animal, yet use animal products killed by others, as if that somehow because their hands are clean they aren't responsible for killing any animals.

JMO
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Personally, I'd much rather my child grew up seeing where their meat comes from first hand. Learning to respect that you are taking an animals life and what the actual reality of that death entails, rather than just thinking meat comes sterile packaged from the supermarket, with no real connection between a real animal and whats on the table.
Don't worry he is very clear about where
meat come from.
Page 26 of 31 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »