View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
At the moment Rupert's being left for 5 hours in the morning and about 4 hours in the afternoon with my hubby home at lunch to give him a walk. He's normally only left for an hour or two every few days but a family emergency meant I'm back in the UK while Calvin and Rupert are in Germany so he's having to fit in with Calvins working hours.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Like the title says, what do you consider to be the maximum time a dog should be left alone? What about if someone other than the owner takes the dog out for a walk, during the hours being left?

I think different dogs can cope with different times being left, but I still think there is a maximum for any dog to be left... whether they cope or not.

This is just something I have been thinking about, and was wondering what other peoples opinions are.

the maximum time that the dog is able to cope!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
On the rare occasion I went out I could leave Little One for four or five hours with no problem. She just slept and according to my neighbour never made a sound.

Pereg is different and the longest I have ever left her for has been just under an hour. If I needed to be out for any longer she went to daycare, but I am not sure whether I dare chance that at the moment.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
The most Dex usually gets left alone is about three hours, and that is unusual.

Once a month he is left alone for somewhat longer, as I have to accompany a close relative somewhere. But I make sure he gets extra exercise the day before and the day after to make up for it.

I would not leave any dog alone for longer than six hours without a break and even that is too long to happen on a regular basis.
MrsSB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
The longest Ben is left is usually around 3-3.5 hours. On the odd occasion we've had to leave him longer, eg a recent family wedding, we get the boarders/walkers to come and take him out for an hour. If we have to be away all day and can't take him (eg our son in law doesn't like dogs so we can't take him there) we day board him so he gets picked up in the morning and brought back when we get home.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Depends on whether the dog has access to the outside to go to the toilet or not?

I wouldn't generally leave a dog indoors for more than 3-4 hours, but outdoors I'd leave them longer. How long, again depends on the dog and how well it has been mentally and physically stimulated outside of the "alone time."

I know of a good few people who have a dog and work full time, meaning the dog is in itself from about 8am until 6pm - depending on the owner I would say this is either fine as the dog is "working" the rest of the time, or very cruel as the dog is never walked or given any kind of stimulation anyway.....
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Mine are left daily, for time varying between 20mins to around 6 hours. Sadly childrens centres, and my work place do not allow dogs!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Continuously, preferably no more than 4-5 hours.

On the odd working day when no one is in apart from me (rare in this house!), I'd have to leave them for about 3 1/2 hours in the morning, then I come back for an hour lunch, and leave them for another 4 hours or so. I don't like doing this, but when I have in the past they have been fine.
Exacly the same here, bar 1 sunday a month i leave them for 7 hours but have a mate popping in to let thdm out for a pee x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Louie has been left 8 hours before - but that was due to buses and crappy time tables.

Sadie has been left 12 hours before (over night - hospital emergency) but not by myself.

I would say the min is 4, the max is 6, but it does depend on the dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Depends on whether the dog has access to the outside to go to the toilet or not?

I wouldn't generally leave a dog indoors for more than 3-4 hours, but outdoors I'd leave them longer. How long, again depends on the dog and how well it has been mentally and physically stimulated outside of the "alone time."

I know of a good few people who have a dog and work full time, meaning the dog is in itself from about 8am until 6pm - depending on the owner I would say this is either fine as the dog is "working" the rest of the time, or very cruel as the dog is never walked or given any kind of stimulation anyway.....
We find homemade puppy pads a boon, Molls can't last 5 hours these days so she has a discreet wee at some point we are out. Not practical to give them access to the outdoors as we are in a flat.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »