Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Don't see where anyone said is simply about making the dog hungry enough to obey ..... So maybe u should read the thread

I think what the op is trying to figure out is what reward Dex would respond to best and what overides his longing to see otherdogs....doesn't matter how many times u repeat something if the dog thinks what u have/ are not interesting or valuble enough.
I read several pages and I read all of the other thread as well

yes the dog has to find the reward rewarding, but the op said in the other thread she has a good recall in the house and in the garden, and she talked about all the yummy treats she had tried

It dosent matter if you have the best most amazing thing in the world if the dog dosent come back they cannot be rewarded for comming back

It is about making sure that the distractions are build up slowly enough that the dog is set up to succeed - and making the reward good enough that they are likely to repeate the performance

as from what I had seen in this thread and the previous one there had been plenty talk about the reward - so I was simply saying I was not getting into talking about the reward bit of it but talking about the getting to come back in the first place - as from the first thread and bits on this thread THIS is actually what I think is the biggest bit of the problem that needs to be looked at and not the reward at all

Its not a case of getting such an amazing reward that he will suddenly have a 100% recall with all distractions - its building up the distractions step by step so that he learns to work with the distractions

Thats how I see it anyways- its simply far to big a step to go from the quiet garden to the great fun park with all the dogs to play with and other amazing new fun things, yes make the reward better in a more difficult place - but also take smaller steps
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I read several pages and I read all of the other thread as well

yes the dog has to find the reward rewarding, but the op said in the other thread she has a good recall in the house and in the garden, and she talked about all the yummy treats she had tried

It dosent matter if you have the best most amazing thing in the world if the dog dosent come back they cannot be rewarded for comming back

It is about making sure that the distractions are build up slowly enough that the dog is set up to succeed - and making the reward good enough that they are likely to repeate the performance

as from what I had seen in this thread and the previous one there had been plenty talk about the reward - so I was simply saying I was not getting into talking about the reward bit of it but talking about the getting to come back in the first place - as from the first thread and bits on this thread THIS is actually what I think is the biggest bit of the problem that needs to be looked at and not the reward at all
Its not a case of getting such an amazing reward that he will suddenly have a 100% recall with all distractions - its building up the distractions step by step so that he learns to work with the distractions

Thats how I see it anyways- its simply far to big a step to go from the quiet garden to the great fun park with all the dogs to play with and other amazing new fun things, yes make the reward better in a more difficult place - but also take smaller steps
Oh I agree ...but they all go hand in hand..
..exp at first, the reward is the most important thing imo..figure the best one out and your well on your way.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Ah - now I wonder if you've hit on where I'm going wrong???

I don't wait until he's tired before recalling, I've tried to recall either while he's set to approach the other dogs OR when he's still really caught up in play.....

Many thanks, I think from on I shall do as you suggest and ONLY recall when he's already getting a bit tired of the playing. Once we've got that down pat, then I can hopefully recall earlier.

Oh and yes, thanks, I am careful not to always put him back on lead - almost always I recall and then let him go again

Many thanks indeed, very helpful
Oh cheers, I hope so - it never hurts to go back to basics and just remind ourselves of "The Roolz"

Sometimes, you can sort of "pre empt" a dog who is just about to bog off, but often it's hard to do it in time, and so what happens is the dog learns that it's OK to bog off and learns that your calls mean nothing, but are just a noise to tell him your whereabouts for when he wants to find you later

And also with the playing thing, you can ask him to do something for you ( a simple sit to start with) and then "good!" and release at once to play (if the situation allows it). Then his fun is more dependent on him being obedient and eventually all this will become solid so that he offers obedience (but you may need to become an "excellent" dog trainer and learn all you need to, so that you can honour the new Dex )

Good luck and take it easy

Wys
x
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Wish I was closer...I'd have no hesitation in meeting up with this little lot.

I dont recall Khal when hes 'on a mission' I wait until hes reached his bogging off destination, start walking towards where he is, shout his name, wave his treat bag like mad "whatssssssssssssss thissssssssssssss" in a ridiculous voice...then Ruuuuuuuuun away like a mad woman. He comes back, but I look like a right loonytune hahaha
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am sorry but I am not going to read 10 pages of to starve/to not staeve/ it is starving /whatever

TO address the origonal post as I see it

imo it is not simply a case of making the dog hungry enough/making the food amazing enough for the dog to instantly obay

a recal, like any other dog trick takes time, you have to build up locations and distractions so the dong understands 100% what is expected and so much so that the recal cue can actually get into the little head of the dog when he is totaly focused on something else

Taking a dog who can recal nicely in the house then waiting till they are in full on stalking mode of a major distraction of other dogs is like teaching your puppy to sit in the house infront of you then yelling' sit' as they charge towards a road in hot pursuit of a rabbit

Its not going to happen - even if you have smoked salmon in your pocket - because they dog is not well enough trained to understand what you are asking of them

I have totaly nothing against feeding a dog his meals out on a walk

- but any left over at the end of the walk I feed my dogs

Its great, you can train loads and not worry about overfeeding
But its just training - its not a magic tool

Dont call your dog when he is focused on something else and not likely to come back - he is not ready for this step yet

do 100 recals when he is already running back to you and reward him like crazy and have a fun game

then do 100 recals when he is looking at you

then 100 when he is not looking but not focused on anything else

Then when he is walking the other way

Then when he is casually sniffing

Then when there are dogs a long way away but he is not totaly focused just aware

100 isnt that many if you are taking all his food out to a park - 10/20 times a day - thats about a week or less

Dont move onto the next step until he is 100% on the last step

Play as many recal games as you can, run away from him make him find being with you the most fun amazing thing in the whole wide world

There is no magic training thing that gives you 100% recal 100% of the time - except for time
the more sucessful recals you have with realy fun rewards then the better chance of even more good uns

The more times you call and fail the more likely failures are

I didn't achieve recall at home and then take my dog to the park and wait until he was in stalking mode...

We have practised recall at home, at other people's homes and gardens, in the tennis court at the park, in the park when it's empty, in the park when there are children and people around.

In other words, we have been practising recall for MONTHS.

The issue is that EVEN though Dexter has a great recall in these situations, IF there are other dogs anywhere in sight, that recall falls apart.

And just to note:

Nobody is suggesting that I 'starve' my dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are simply discussing how I can best use his food as an incentive and motivator to aid in recall.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Wish I was closer...I'd have no hesitation in meeting up with this little lot.

I dont recall Khal when hes 'on a mission' I wait until hes reached his bogging off destination, start walking towards where he is, shout his name, wave his treat bag like mad "whatssssssssssssss thissssssssssssss" in a ridiculous voice...then Ruuuuuuuuun away like a mad woman. He comes back, but I look like a right loonytune hahaha

Thanks

I've tried that also, walking towards Dex and shrieking/calling his name/dancing around waving treats/etc.

Alas, it makes no difference. He is so fixated on the other dogs, that I could (and have!) be brandishing slivers of raw meat and he just does not care!

Thanks for the advice though
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:50 AM
This has probably been said - apologies - but, to me, dog training is about changing responses. So the automatic response to a whistle is to trot towards the reward, not to head for the hills.
So repetition is all for me. And not asking for recall when it ain`t gonna happen.
With Toffee, my elderly mini-mutt who has never been trained and appears to have always hauled round on a flexi, I am simply saying come / rewarding every time he will respond. It is working and we will get there, but I`m expecting it to take many months. After all, I have years of ingrained habit to overcome.
I think retraining a dog with established behaviours is different to training a `blank sheet` puppy because it takes longer, so you need more patience. The dog doesn`t need to understand what you ask, as with human teaching - he needs to respond on a visceral level. So establishing those patterns takes time.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Tabitha, dont take this the wrong way. Just been reading between the lines abit,

It sounds as if you "could" have been rewarding him for looking at the other dogs, by mistake in a attempt to get his attention.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Tabitha, dont take this the wrong way. Just been reading between the lines abit,

It sounds as if you "could" have been rewarding him for looking at the other dogs, by mistake in a attempt to get his attention.

How so?

Please clarify, thanks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
This has probably been said - apologies - but, to me, dog training is about changing responses. So the automatic response to a whistle is to trot towards the reward, not to head for the hills.
So repetition is all for me. And not asking for recall when it ain`t gonna happen.
With Toffee, my elderly mini-mutt who has never been trained and appears to have always hauled round on a flexi, I am simply saying come / rewarding every time he will respond. It is working and we will get there, but I`m expecting it to take many months. After all, I have years of ingrained habit to overcome.
I think retraining a dog with established behaviours is different to training a `blank sheet` puppy because it takes longer, so you need more patience. The dog doesn`t need to understand what you ask, as with human teaching - he needs to respond on a visceral level. So establishing those patterns takes time.

Thanks

I possibly am expecting too much too soon. To be fair, Dexter has improved massively. He's gone from having literally no recall at all, to now coming to me about 80% of the time IF there are no other dogs around.

I have been able to call him in mid run over to other people also, which is something I could not do until recently.

And yes - I totally appreciate your point about the repetition. I've now stepped up the sheer number of recalls we do at home and while out walking. I've also started doing more recalls when he's distracted by squirrels and birds in the garden. He comes instantly every single time. So I guess we're on the right track hopefully, it will just take longer than I thought
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >