Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But how often is a pts that clear cut?

I have not had any 'calculated' decisions with a pts.
i have...dog cant walk

dog dying(in-operable liver tumour).....

cat with terminal cancer.

thats personal exp not from clients....lists are endless from them,thing is even if its hopeless a vet cant make the decision for you,that has to be you.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i have...dog cant walk

dog dying(in-operable liver tumour).....

cat with terminal cancer.

thats personal exp not from clients....lists are endless from them,thing is even if its hopeless a vet cant make the decision for you,that has to be you.
I know there are cases like that - I was wondering (out loud) if it was the more common.
Maybe I have been....for want of a better word.....lucky.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I have read this thread with a strange interest, being a committed vegetarian... I do find some meat eaters hypocritical in their views about the slaughter of animals, but that is because I have always had the view that if you are prepared to eat meat, you should be prepared to kill it in the first place, the reason I justify buying meat for the dogs, they would kill to eat if they had to... anyhoo thats my opinion...
The normal slaughterhouses are far from kind and merciful to the animals there, they know they are going to their deaths and some are horrific I also don't feel easy with the slit throat method either, that initial cut must really hurt and the animal does experience pain, though I realise as blood loss goes on the animal loses consciousness.
Would I end my own animals suffering if a vet couldn't come to me or I couldn't get to them, i.e snowbound/storm etc... If I had to, not sure how, don't want to think of it tbh, but know I couldn't slit their throat...
As for going to the vet to pts, most of ours have gone to be pts, I don't see how I am a bad owner for making this choice really...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Petticoat View Post
I have read this thread with a strange interest, being a committed vegetarian... I do find some meat eaters hypocritical in their views about the slaughter of animals, but that is because I have always had the view that if you are prepared to eat meat, you should be prepared to kill it in the first place, the reason I justify buying meat for the dogs, they would kill to eat if they had to... anyhoo thats my opinion...
The normal slaughterhouses are far from kind and merciful to the animals there, they know they are going to their deaths and some are horrific I also don't feel easy with the slit throat method either, that initial cut must really hurt and the animal does experience pain, though I realise as blood loss goes on the animal loses consciousness.
Would I end my own animals suffering if a vet couldn't come to me or I couldn't get to them, i.e snowbound/storm etc... If I had to, not sure how, don't want to think of it tbh, but know I couldn't slit their throat...
As for going to the vet to pts, most of ours have gone to be pts, I don't see how I am a bad owner for making this choice really...
If you are suggesting that I wrote that anyone is a bad owner for chosing to take their dog to the vet can I suggest you read what I wrote.

I said that there was no need to do it to point out that there was another option. It was in answer to one post.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats a completey different subject, the suggestion was made its more humane to slit a throat, over taking a dog to the vet.

Would you agree with that, over taking your dog to a vet to be PTS!
I don't know enough about throat slitting----some people obviously do.

I have had animals shot and I have had chickens necks wrung.

rune
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Azz, what has been or may still be done for all I know in Uruguay or any other Country, is not something that either I or anyone anywhere else should be held responsible for, and instances such as those are not what Shechita [or Halal] is supposed to be.

But there are rogues in every situation, in every Country, and the blame is on the rogues, not on all others who happen to be of the same nationality, race or religion.

Please believe me in what I say. I am not saying that EVERYthing regarding shechita is or was or will ever be 100% as it should be, because nobody can guarantee that. Neither is everything regarding Halal or non-Kasher/non Halal slaughtering, because there are and always will be rogues. In every walk of life there are rogues, because if not why are prisons necessary?

I have seen shechita for myself and was satisfied with what I saw.

I have also seen at first hand man's inhumanity to other men, only in that case it was inhumanity to other men, women, and children, when a bus was blown up outside my office window.

You see bad things happen. To innocent animals and to innocent people, and yes I do know that my Country, as with so many others, has blood on her hands.

I am not a vegetarian and I do not intend giving up eating meat. But that does not mean that I condone cruelty in any shape or form.

Life - all life - should be valued and treated with respect.

Malka
Great post, my thoughts exactly.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:06 PM
For the last time---I DIDN'T MAKE ANY JUDGEMENT ON ANYONE WHO CHOSE TO TAKE THEIR DOG TO THE VET TO BE PTS.

I don't normally get this annoyed by the fact that people are unable to follow a thread and read posts properly in relation to each other but this is REALLY getting up my nose!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But how often is a pts that clear cut?

I have not had any 'calculated' decisions with a pts.
The you have been lucky, for many people a calculated decision is the only option they have.

But I think you know thats not what I meant,

The calculated decision being discussed was not "having to have your pet PTS" , but the "method used!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have never taken a dog to the vet to be pts except one who was in the back of a car---since he lived in a car for many years he loved to be there. Also Rusty because he needed to see his owner in the home and he wasn't taken into the vets but was outside in the garden there.

My dogs are pts eating a pepperami stick or pate off a pepperami stick and are as relaxed as I can make them at home.

No reason to take a dog in to be pts.

rune
I have to ask, more because I'm curious really as I know I've always done the best by my dogs, but can you tell me how you would've handled the following situation.....

I was on nightshifts and when I arrived home one morning I walked in to find Pickles on his last legs, gasping for breath. It turned out that he had collapsed after his last walk and stopped breathing. My Mam revived him and he'd then struggled for breath all night. It was Sunday morning when I came home, my vets was shut and my elderly 15 year old dog was clearly suffering. I rang the emergency vets, took him down for them to have a look at knowing full well that I'd have to leave him behind. It broke my heart as I've always preferred to have my dogs PTS at home.

You say there is no need to take a dog to the vets to be PTS - so how would you've ended Pickles' suffering that day given that it was Sunday and the emergency vets didn't do call outs?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't know enough about throat slitting----some people obviously do.

I have had animals shot and I have had chickens necks wrung.

rune
OK, so for augments sake, you got a crash course on the benifits of euthanizing by slitting a dogs throat.

You have two options, 1) take the dog to the vet to be euthanized, 2) have a slaughter man come and slit your dog's throat!

Its a simple enough question, but one some are avoiding like the plaque , before the will answer.
Page 30 of 41 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 > Last »