View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:07 PM

How do you greet your dog when you get home?

Me: battle my way to the kitchen,dump my stuff on the nearest available worktop & make a big fuss, sloppy kisses included & whacked with a waggy tail. When hub comes home it's even worse, it's like he's been gone a year

We've now been advised to ignore her for 5 minutes until she calms down.
I know there are things we've done wrong & we are trying to correct but this one is soooooo hard
When I got home today I made a little tiny fuss then when daughter got home I reminded her she mustn't make a fuss (am I a hypercrite or what!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh I'm all for giving a big fuss when I get home, but the first thing I do when I open that door is shove a slipper in her gob which stops her from jumping up, so I get all the noise, the singing the bum wiggles and then she zoooooms off indoors to come back for a 2nd helping! Same as you, when Dave gets home, all hell breaks loose like he's been gone for 10 years too He arms himself with a slipper, she then exchanges that for a ball she runs to find, and she makes horrendous noises before racing into the bedroom where she knows he's going to dump his bag and stuff!

Why aren't you allowed to let Tilly greet you like this then? It's the highlight of my day and first thing in the mornning when I come downstairs!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh I'm all for giving a big fuss when I get home, but the first thing I do when I open that door is shove a slipper in her gob which stops her from jumping up, so I get all the noise, the singing the bum wiggles and then she zoooooms off indoors to come back for a 2nd helping! Same as you, when Dave gets home, all hell breaks loose like he's been gone for 10 years too He arms himself with a slipper, she then exchanges that for a ball she runs to find, and she makes horrendous noises before racing into the bedroom where she knows he's going to dump his bag and stuff!

Why aren't you allowed to let Tilly greet you like this then? It's the highlight of my day and first thing in the mornning when I come downstairs!
@ Zena!!
I dunno why we aren't allowed to do it anymore, I guess it's all part of what we are doing as we are seeing a behaviourist for some house guarding & aggression to strangers in the house issues & the long & short of it is that as a family we are not being consistent enough & giving her proper boundaries. She is responding really well to being us being firmer. She's not allowed on the furniture, on "her" windowsill up the stairs or to lay in the hall. That's all going well, It's just the greeting I'm struggling with!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't make a great fuss of mine as Meggie suffers from separation anxiety and apparently it is not a good idea when they suffer from this to make a big fuss on returning home. I just walk in, quick stroke and say "hello girls, everything ok?'" they say "yes fine, we're chilled" Same with when I leave, I just say "won't be long" and go. Mind you, they are seldom left for longer than an hour as if I am going out for any length of time just drop them off at my Mums. Lots and lots of cuddles later though
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
How do i greet them?

Zeb=He meets me at front door bouncing then i'll tell him to stay down,calm down,sit down,dont jump up,dont jump up,dont jump up,turn my back on him and get knocked over.

Vegas=He's always sprawled out on sofa when i get home so i make a fuss of him there at his level.Then Zeb leaps onto my head and the bit above is repeated.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh Steve, I can see it all with your zeb!!!!

Oh well, good luck then Suzie, you gotta stick with what you've been given if only to see it makes the difference you want. We don't have enough visitors for me to worry about Zena going mental when they first arrive coz they understand and who cares anyway in this house, coz we don't like visitors lol, it's only me and Dave and we're on top of it now with her slippers.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Afraid my neighbours calling the police and all the hassle of last year means I get no greetings now

I just ignore him

hate my neighbours

used to get happy whiny yips with a full body wiggle and them him zooming off to find toys
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh Steve, I can see it all with your zeb!!!!

Oh well, good luck then Suzie, you gotta stick with what you've been given if only to see it makes the difference you want. We don't have enough visitors for me to worry about Zena going mental when they first arrive coz they understand and who cares anyway in this house, coz we don't like visitors lol, it's only me and Dave and we're on top of it now with her slippers.
yeah I'd rather just ban visitors really
But it was my mum & although she was told not to stroke her on the head, she did & Tilly bit her hand
My mum (bless her) is now telling everyone I've got the Dog Whisperer in
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Hum, well it goes a bit like this...

car draws up, i exit car, i start telling the dogs to shut up before I've got the key in the front door (via vent in from kitchen to driveway).... battle with shopping bags/work files etc into the hall still telling dogs to shut up... greet cats on stairs... tell dogs to pack in leaping against the door...oh and to shut up...

Open kitchen door and fight way through baby gate whilst the 4 members of the mob twizzle around, generally bounce up and down and try to get my attention, oh no, wait, not quite, 1 will try to get straight into the shopping bags and at least 1 other will race through to see if there is any chance of getting a cat.

Herd dogs back into kitchen, shut baby gate, go back and fish the puppy back out the hall and move in a vauge shuffling way through the dogs now determined to trip me up towards back door, tell dogs to be quiet, unlock back door, remind dogs to be quiet, open door a crack, and shut straight away as dogs are not quiet.... eventually open back door... dogs rush out into garden.... I tell them that they have a different definition of the word quiet to the one i know.

When they've done what they need to in the garden and have come in again (after i've threatened Gretchen with all sorts of things unspeakable if she doesn't shut up) they get a fuss.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Afraid my neighbours calling the police and all the hassle of last year means I get no greetings now

I just ignore him

hate my neighbours

used to get happy whiny yips with a full body wiggle and them him zooming off to find toys
Humans can be a right pain sometimes.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »