View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:02 PM
There are good and bad with all breeds and Labs are certainly no different. Given the sheer number of them registered each year (which doesn't account for the many thousands that are NOT registered), it isn't surprising we have dogs with less than desirable temperaments cropping up. But again, that is the same with all popular breeds.

Another point I should make is, are you actually sure that the dog is a purebred Lab? your average generic black crossbreed can look like your average pet bred Lab. I know, for example, a Cocker Spaniel crossed with a Rottweiler who in fact looks like a quite nicely bred purebred black Labrador. I would have had NO idea if the lady owner had not said, and I was quite floored actually. Then you have all the dogs that ARE Labrador crosses, but because the Lab 'look' tends to dominate (black being the dominant colour gene in most cases), they look purebred. This goes to show that looks can be very deceiving and what you are seeing isn't necessarily a true Labrador.

As for Marley from Marley and Me, Marley was NOT from a good breeder, but a backyard breeder. It has been a long time since I read the book, but from what I can remember, Marley had various phobias (noise related ones I think) and a couple of temperament issues that are NOT typical of a Lab temperament. This was due to both his poor breeding and the fact that his owners were total dog novices who didn't really know what they were doing. John Grogan, the owner of Marley, admitted this himself...they were inexperienced, didn't know what to expect, shouldn't have purchased the puppy from were they did, were flawed by normal puppy behaviour, etc.

So to cut the long story short, Marley is not an example of a typical Labrador but is an example of a non-typical Labrador with an inexperienced handler. You could put any breed of dog from a less than reputable breeder in the place of Marley, with an inexperienced and perhaps naive handler and have exactly the same story.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I do love Labs, and they are my uncles breed of choice. My whole life he has always owned at least one (along with other breeds) and they have all been fantastic dogs. However, the most aggressive dog i have every met (both dog and human aggressive) was a black Lab. I think every dog should be taken as indviduals and not just assume the dog will be great coz of the breed.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
There are good and bad with all breeds and Labs are certainly no different. Given the sheer number of them registered each year (which doesn't account for the many thousands that are NOT registered), it isn't surprising we have dogs with less than desirable temperaments cropping up. But again, that is the same with all popular breeds.

Another point I should make is, are you actually sure that the dog is a purebred Lab? your average generic black crossbreed can look like your average pet bred Lab. I know, for example, a Cocker Spaniel crossed with a Rottweiler who in fact looks like a quite nicely bred purebred black Labrador. I would have had NO idea if the lady owner had not said, and I was quite floored actually. Then you have all the dogs that ARE Labrador crosses, but because the Lab 'look' tends to dominate (black being the dominant colour gene in most cases), they look purebred. This goes to show that looks can be very deceiving and what you are seeing isn't necessarily a true Labrador.

As for Marley from Marley and Me, Marley was NOT from a good breeder, but a backyard breeder. It has been a long time since I read the book, but from what I can remember, Marley had various phobias (noise related ones I think) and a couple of temperament issues that are NOT typical of a Lab temperament. This was due to both his poor breeding and the fact that his owners were total dog novices who didn't really know what they were doing. John Grogan, the owner of Marley, admitted this himself...they were inexperienced, didn't know what to expect, shouldn't have purchased the puppy from were they did, were flawed by normal puppy behaviour, etc.

So to cut the long story short, Marley is not an example of a typical Labrador but is an example of a non-typical Labrador with an inexperienced handler. You could put any breed of dog from a less than reputable breeder in the place of Marley, with an inexperienced and perhaps naive handler and have exactly the same story.

You are totally right - Marley was from a backyard breeder and in fact the Grogans suspected the sire was slightly mad when they finally saw him

That said, my friend's father is a veteran Lab owner; all of his dogs have come from a 'top' breeder but at least one of them has been a 'Marley'
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have a friend who used to have a black lab cross - he looked exactly like a pure bred black lab (apart from a few white hairs on his chest) but his mum was a collie! He certainly didn't have the typical 'lab' temperament either!

A black lab bit my old girlie on the head and left such a deep tooth indentation that she had to be anaesthetised so the vet could dig the hair and skin out of the wound - it was unprovoked too.

On the other hand I had a yellow lab years ago who was the softest dog out!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I have had problems with black labs (and incredibly stupid owner), I always thought labs were a steady breed.

Luckily Jess has some beautiful black labs who played with Pip and showed him not all black labs are bad.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I have had problems with black labs (and incredibly stupid owner), I always thought labs were a steady breed.

Luckily Jess has some beautiful black labs who played with Pip and showed him not all black labs are bad.
They should be.

As I said in my post above, there are bad eggs in every batch (or breed ) and Labs are included in that.
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2011, 05:57 PM
A good pup costs less in the end, it’s advisable to buy the best possible breeding –health checks and all. They all cost the same to feed and keep at the end of the day.

A well bread lab will have been bread to please for generations, and will more or less train its self. It will have no fear of cover or new situations.
leapinglouie
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I agree with TabithaJ....young Labs are hard work...I bought my dog Louie....aka STILLASTAR HOTDOG from a breeder. Mom was onsite with her babies and sweet as can be....I picked Louie and he would have fit into a coffee mug....ohh, I forgot to mention, my son was three months old at the time....I was not thinking at the time, I thought, "they can grow up together".....HA!! about 2 months into the growing up process I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE? A baby and a Lab puppy!!! In the end it worked out very well...Louie was the best dog...it took about 4 years or so for him to grow up, but wow he was amazing. Louie got sick this past year, and he got sick quick and let me know it was time...it was one of the hardest things that I had to do. He lived until he was almost 11....and the picture below is Louie and that "baby".......

rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Anybody who thinks all Labs are fully trained assistance dogs are delusional! Our Jake is, generally, a good lad but every now and then he can be challenging...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by leapinglouie View Post
I agree with TabithaJ....young Labs are hard work...I bought my dog Louie....aka STILLASTAR HOTDOG from a breeder. Mom was onsite with her babies and sweet as can be....I picked Louie and he would have fit into a coffee mug....ohh, I forgot to mention, my son was three months old at the time....I was not thinking at the time, I thought, "they can grow up together".....HA!! about 2 months into the growing up process I thought WHAT HAVE I DONE? A baby and a Lab puppy!!! In the end it worked out very well...Louie was the best dog...it took about 4 years or so for him to grow up, but wow he was amazing. Louie got sick this past year, and he got sick quick and let me know it was time...it was one of the hardest things that I had to do. He lived until he was almost 11....and the picture below is Louie and that "baby".......

Oh, that is a lovely pic He sounds like he was a great dog.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »