Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Thanks DD, interesting reading.

Sounds to me like she didn't bother to do her homework because she thought the people she was targetting with the misinformation wouldn't know any better and that no-one who might query it would see it.

I also see that even when she knew that it was incorrect, she hadn't removed it from her website until the owners demanded this.

And finally she seems to be contradicting herself. When questioned about whether her attack on pedigree dogs and breeders would not encourage people to go to bybs, she replied that people were sensible and knew how to buy a dog. But now she appears to be saying that people don't know how to buy a dog or from where.

Maybe her heart's in the right place, but talk about a loose canon
Exactly. She herself has posted on CD, trying to defend herself
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:53 AM
JH made a mistake and has admitted the mistake. Don't we all?
I find it really interesting that many people who accuse her of not being balanced in her arguments are doing just the same.

She isn't liked in my chosen breed I don't think...but I can't really comment I haven't discussed it with people.

She has and does do good for dogs. I do believe her main interest is the dogs. Her motivation is good. I do believe that. Things have changed as a direct result of pDE and for the better. The show did not say ALL PD are ill, just highlighted some and emphasised the importance of health tests etc.

As I said in a previous post, I have not seen an increase in cross breeds, designer or otherwise...what I have seen is an increase in people sourcing pups in the net...on a certain well known site..she can't be blamed for that.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
:

Yup thats one reason why I get so mad when I see Americans breeding collies to jrt to make the 'border jack' - a small flyball dogs

Much as I love Mia to death
Mixing a headstrong collie with a headstrong terrier gives the chance for a v difficult dog!
But isn't this another example of dogs evolving to fit modern needs, there isn't as much call for collies to be herding sheep and jack russels to be ratting as we have other ways of doing it in modern times, so isn't flyball or agility just another job?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes of course we do. I guess it depends what you already think of her. You think she's a good person so are naturally going to accept it was a one off mistake.

I think she's probably a good person, but that she's so obsessed with her 'fight' and putting herself forward that it is completely clouding her judgement.

This isn't a naive lady who can be forgiven for relying on information provided by others. She's a reporter and she knows very well that she has a responsibility to get her facts straight.

To me, its another case of her thinking the end justifies the means.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Yes of course we do. I guess it depends what you already think of her. You think she's a good person so are naturally going to accept it was a one off mistake.

I think she's probably a good person, but that she's so obsessed with her 'fight' and putting herself forward that it is completely clouding her judgement.

This isn't a naive lady who can be forgiven for relying on information provided by others. She's a reporter and she knows very well that she has a responsibility to get her facts straight.

To me, its another case of her thinking the end justifies the means.
In all honesty? I think she does rely too heavily on info given by other people but I am not about to elaborate on why, suffice to say I think she does. I think she has people she trusts to get it right and sometimes they don't. Yes, ultimately it's her responsibility I agree with you there, but how often do we all take someones word for it that we trust...
I don't think she knowingly did it.
She is dog focused, I admire that. I don't agree with everything she says or does and I will say when I don't, but at her heart? I think she is a good person who is in it for the dogs. She loves dogs and goes the extra mile and beyond for them. Yes, I totally support and admire that .

I also think some dog people aren't necessarily people people...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I find it really interesting that many people who accuse her of not being balanced in her arguments are doing just the same.

She isn't liked in my chosen breed I don't think...but I can't really comment I haven't discussed it with people.

She has and does do good for dogs. I do believe her main interest is the dogs. Her motivation is good. I do believe that. Things have changed as a direct result of pDE and for the better. The show did not say ALL PD are ill, just highlighted some and emphasised the importance of health tests etc.

As I said in a previous post, I have not seen an increase in cross breeds, designer or otherwise...what I have seen is an increase in people sourcing pups in the net...on a certain well known site..she can't be blamed for that.
I answered your post before the edit so I'll reply to the rest.

I have seen a direct result as I have met many people now (with and without dogs) who have said that the programme showed that ALL pedigrees were unhealthy and ALL show breeders were cruel/corrupt. All of them said that if they were looking for a dog now they would not go to a pedigree breeder but would find a crossbreed through the local ads.

I've also seen a change in the way the 'designer' crossbreeds have been advertised...since the programme they've been making a real play on the 'healthier than pedigrees', which people are believing because they've seen the programme too.

Have you seriously not met anyone you've had to explain the 'missing' bits of the programme to?

(and as for being unbiased.... I'm sharing my personal views on a dog forum, not producing programmes and dispersing misinformation to potentially influential people in the dog world. Although I do always try to see both sides, I'm not a reporter and I don't have a duty to be unbiaised and get my facts straight in the same way that she does).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I answered your post before the edit so I'll reply to the rest.

I have seen a direct result as I have met many people now (with and without dogs) who have said that the programme showed that ALL pedigrees were unhealthy and ALL show breeders were cruel/corrupt. All of them said that if they were looking for a dog now they would not go to a pedigree breeder but would find a crossbreed through the local ads.

I've also seen a change in the way the 'designer' crossbreeds have been advertised...since the programme they've been making a real play on the 'healthier than pedigrees', which people are believing because they've seen the programme too.

Have you seriously not met anyone you've had to explain the 'missing' bits of the programme to?

(and as for being unbiased.... I'm sharing my personal views on a dog forum, not producing programmes and dispersing misinformation to potentially influential people in the dog world. Although I do always try to see both sides, I'm not a reporter and I don't have a duty to be unbiaised and get my facts straight in the same way that she does).
I haven't met anyone when out and about who thought the programme was anti all pedigree dogs, other than people who were already heavily involved in pedigree dogs
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The construction of a dog is of vital importance to it Pidge. I board a good few working springers and cockers. The ones with the bowed fronts invariably get arthritis early on, its horrible to see. The ones withs straight legs dont! they have better skeletal construction. It also amazes me how many "working" dogs that are bred have bad mouthes.
Bad mouthes?

Also, why would they breed workers to have bowed legs?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:37 AM
In all honesty? I think she does rely too heavily on info given by other people but I am not about to elaborate on why, suffice to say I think she does. I think she has people she trusts to get it right and sometimes they don't. Yes, ultimately it's her responsibility I agree with you there, but how often do we all take someones word for it that we trust...
I don't think she knowingly did it.
She is dog focused, I admire that. I don't agree with everything she says or does and I will say when I don't, but at her heart? I think she is a good person who is in it for the dogs. She loves dogs and goes the extra mile and beyond for them. Yes, I totally support and admire that .

I also think some dog people aren't necessarily people people...
Animal hoarders love animals and have good intentions....doesn't mean that what they end up doing is good.

Sometimes someone can be so focused on one goal that they can't see the side effects their efforts are having or what shortcuts etc. they are starting to take to get there.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Animal hoarders love animals and have good intentions....doesn't mean that what they end up doing is good.

Sometimes someone can be so focused on one goal that they can't see the side effects their efforts are having or what shortcuts etc. they are starting to take to get there.
She certainly doesn't hoard animals. I wonder what you think her goal is? To improve the health of pedigree dogs??? Well good...lots of them need it.
Page 95 of 103 « First < 45 85 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 > Last »