Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
What's the saying, bum, belly beak, for shot guns, ie you shoot forward of the target?
Havent heard that for a number of years!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Yes but the original post was about a cat that was killed - an elderly cat at that. It was assumed that a fox killed the cat because one had been seen in the area some days/nights previous. How can anyone guarantee the fox kiled the cat - it could have been a dog. They didnt capture and kill just one fox, they caught and killed 2. Supposing the predator was not a fox - its still out there waiting for its next victim
Because foxes had been spotted in the vicinity, the remains of the cat had been found strewn across the front lawn, after an altercation had been heard, two foxes that were bold enough to be caught in humane traps were destroyed? I'm not sure why anyone questions that it was surely a fox, and most likely one of the foxes killed, that was the predator??

Honestly, it really brings it back to the couple whose twins were attacked by foxes, and they were subject to a torrent of abusive correspondence.

Foxes are beautiful creatures, in the right place, but out of context, they can be a nuisance, and they can also become destructive. I know a game keeper who has a pet fox, he has no qualms about keeping numbers on the shoot under control, doesn't want to exterminate them, and his pet fox is a lovely animal.

Another example of people who truly care about the enironment, just last week it was reported a Scottish deer stalker had resigned following a decision to shoot all year round, to preserve the Scots pine in certain areas.

All these blood thirsty people, obviously only in it for the kill
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Who said its a moving target? The idea is a still target, thats why you "squeak" Foxes, they stand still, then come closer, then stand still, thats how you get the clean kill. It would be similar for Cats. A distress call of a Rabbit will bring them in I would imagine.

Not being funny, (not directed at anyone specific) but this is the type of thing people" imagine" and its all wrong, yet they critisise like they have done it for years themselves, when in actual fact they have little clue.
Thats okay I have "seen" rabbit shoots and the targets were rarely still. Im talking of good markspeople and I still feel sick when I think of the rabbits that were not killed outright, so I didnt "imagine" anything, thank you.....
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Hmm if you say so. I knew a gamekeeper who used a rifle for rabbits and I would have thought he knew what he was doing as it was his livelihood
Just because a hairdresser owns scissors it dont mean they're any good.

Some people are better and worse than others in all things.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Thats okay I have "seen" rabbit shoots and the targets were rarely still. Im talking of good markspeople and I still feel sick when I think of the rabbits that were not killed outright, so I didnt "imagine" anything, thank you.....
Are you talking about rabbiting, no such thing as a rabbit shoot that I know of?

If you're seen a poor example of rabbiting, then I'm sorry, I've been on many good rabbiting exercises, where they are shot as moving targets, retreived and (if necessary) killed, if not already dead.

In fact many of the rabbits I have in the freezer are from rabbiting expeditions. Rabitting grounds are not easy to come by, so I'd say your experience is a poor representation overall.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Are you talking about rabbiting, no such thing as a rabbit shoot that I know of?

If you're seen a poor example of rabbiting, then I'm sorry, I've been on many good rabbiting exercises, where they are shot as moving targets, retreived and (if necessary) killed, if not already dead.

In fact many of the rabbits I have in the freezer are from rabbiting expeditions. Rabitting grounds are not easy to come by, so I'd say your experience is a poor representation overall.
During harvest time,a group of us will walk behind the combines with shotguns waiting for the rabbits to bolt so perhaps this is what Velvet is refering to???
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
During harvest time,a group of us will walk behind the combines with shotguns waiting for the rabbits to bolt so perhaps this is what Velvet is refering to???
This is what I can't get about the hunting/shooting criticism, for the most part. It is requested by the land owner, it isn't as if people just turn up and take pot shots!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Because foxes had been spotted in the vicinity, the remains of the cat had been found strewn across the front lawn, after an altercation had been heard, two foxes that were bold enough to be caught in humane traps were destroyed? I'm not sure why anyone questions that it was surely a fox, and most likely one of the foxes killed, that was the predator??

Honestly, it really brings it back to the couple whose twins were attacked by foxes, and they were subject to a torrent of abusive correspondence.

Foxes are beautiful creatures, in the right place, but out of context, they can be a nuisance, and they can also become destructive. I know a game keeper who has a pet fox, he has no qualms about keeping numbers on the shoot under control, doesn't want to exterminate them, and his pet fox is a lovely animal.

Another example of people who truly care about the enironment, just last week it was reported a Scottish deer stalker had resigned following a decision to shoot all year round, to preserve the Scots pine in certain areas.

All these blood thirsty people, obviously only in it for the kill
Sigh - you are going out of context when you bring up the baby twins that were attacked . Please keep to the original topic. Anyone that wrote hatemail to the parents is sick....

There is no proof it was either of the foxes trapped that killed the cat. It was just assumed that it was

Changing the subject slightly away from foxes as others appear to be doing. What about pheasants - birds specifically reared to be shot and killed when adults. They are so "scared" [not] that it takes "beaters" treading through the undergrowth before the shoot flushing the birds out towards the markspeople. Yup they stand a real sporting chance of survival
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nope..............
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Sigh - you are going out of context when you bring up the baby twins that were attacked . Please keep to the original topic. Anyone that wrote hatemail to the parents is sick....

There is no proof it was either of the foxes trapped that killed the cat. It was just assumed that it was

Changing the subject slightly away from foxes as others appear to be doing. What about pheasants - birds specifically reared to be shot and killed when adults. They are so "scared" [not] that it takes "beaters" treading through the undergrowth before the shoot flushing the birds out towards the markspeople. Yup they stand a real sporting chance of survival
Honestly hun, that shows how very little you understand shooting, pheasants shot at point blank are of no use to anyone, it's the high fliers that are shot

My OH went on a couple of shoots last year, roving syndicate days, where he won't be going again, for the very same reason.
Page 31 of 37 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »