Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
If I thought that going on a few years of training would benefit my client base beyond a few more years of experience, then believe me, Id do it!!!!! Sitting in a study or educational environment, writing case studies, or reading material, or thinking through and writing dissertations, is in my view, a heck of a lot easier to write dissertations and case studies than it is to deal with dogs that have mutilated people and other dogs within the last few hours, in the freezing cold of winter, the torment of summer heat, or against the very real threat that this dog might mutilate me soon too! Or worse still, someone else.

If I could train dogs better by "studying" than by actually training dogs, then I would. But I dont believe I can.
Of course, a lot do both at the same time - take the degree and continue working with dogs, both for training and behavioural rehab. One doesn't necessarily eliminate the other - as your colleague proves
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Of course, a lot do both at the same time - take the degree and continue working with dogs, both for training and behavioural rehab. One doesn't necessarily eliminate the other - as your colleague proves
Indeed!
But my colleague works full time in a job she wishes to leave...... and part time in dog training.

I, luckily, work In a job I love and adore and have not the time to leave. What will happen to the aggression cases, the "deaths door" cases, the " I need HELP NOW ON A SATURDAY NIGHT AT 11PM" cases, because my dog bit my grand daughter cases, that I do not feel I can leave for the sake of a dissertation.

I left the career that gave me a securoity, big house and car, to follow my heart into helping dogs and dog owners. I'm not going to step back in time for the "reassurance" of qualifications.
I respect those that do. Totally. Bit I'm not going to. Maybe if someone comes along and fills my role and looks after my dogs and supports me so that I can, but for now, my commitment, right now, is to dogs and their owners who I can help. Right now.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
What do you mean by recognised?

I take 'recognised' as a qualification that is easily recognisable by the general public and you can't really get much more recognised than a BSc

As I said somewhere else before.

Of the 12,000 or so enquiries that we have received about dog training, I can recall 3 who asked about qualifications
. Is that what you call recognised?

I train people who want to become or who already are, dog trainers. I have to my name, several dozen dog training clubs that have been set up by people I trained. Some are very successfull. None are qualified. As far as I know.

Does that help in clearing up the qualifications mystery? Hope so. With the greatest respect, I really want to help people understand how it is...... And the ultimate aim, always for me. is to keep dogs in life long homes - whatever that takes. If Qualifications where the way forward then I would be shouting loudly to all who enquired "GO GET QUALIFIED" for the sake of dogs. But I don't believe it is. it isn't that simple. Else everyone who could pass an exam and could read, would be doing it.

But that isnt how it is. .
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Recognised by whom?

I find it odd that people on forums are so "caught up" with paper qualifications. Of the 12,000 or so people who have made enquiries about my training in the time I have been teaching, I can only recall three asking about qualifications. I don't recall whether or not they subsequently attended training. ie. Whether it actually made any difference. And yet forum users are commonly so hung up about it. Odd.

Customers should ask about qualifications. And I think they are starting too and are being encouraged to ask. Two companies, similar websites, same length of experience, one is run by a qualified trainer and one isn't. I would goto the person who has taken time out and applied themselves.
Qualifications are coming in for the most mundane jobs nowadays. They are becoming a part of everyday life.

I have spoken to a few people who shy away from qualifications simply because they admit they can't do them. They are not easy and a world away from standing in a hall training dogs. Those trainers are not academic and fear exams. It doesn't make them a bad trainer but in life it is important to test yourself and get a measure.

Anyone can work in a kennels for experience or even teach at a club but do they understand the science of behaviour? It will help them to study it and if they study it, why shouldn't they get a qualification.

Trouble is there are some trainers out there but they don't update their professional development. They have been doing it for 20, 30, 40 years and have never read a current book on dog training. Great experience, but as you know, things move on.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Indeed!
But my colleague works full time in a job she wishes to leave...... and part time in dog training.
That's a shame. There's nothing worse than working in a job you don't like.

I, luckily, work In a job I love and adore and have not the time to leave. What will happen to the aggression cases, the "deaths door" cases, the " I need HELP NOW ON A SATURDAY NIGHT AT 11PM" cases, because my dog bit my grand daughter cases, that I do not feel I can leave for the sake of a dissertation.
Every behaviourist gets those cases and those calls, even the ones who study to get their degrees and they manage to pull out all the stops to ensure that their customers do not suffer. By implication, you are indeed decrying studying in this field by implying that anyone taking a degree (or other study) somehow lets people down who need their services. This doesn't have to be so and for many it isn't.

I left the career that gave me a securoity, big house and car, to follow my heart into helping dogs and dog owners. I'm not going to step back in time for the "reassurance" of qualifications.
As did and do many others . Again, you decry education - 'reassurance of qualifications'. The implication being, of course, that the only advantage of working towards that qualification is personal gratification - it isn't. Furthering understanding and knowledge benefits both the dogs and the owners that the 'student' helps

I respect those that do. Totally.
Sorry, but your posts seem to indicate otherwise

Bit I'm not going to. Maybe if someone comes along and fills my role and looks after my dogs and supports me so that I can, but for now, my commitment, right now, is to dogs and their owners who I can help. Right now.
Love it - so many assumptions. I don't know what degree your colleague is doing, but the one I am thinking of is distance learning. Attendance at college is two weekends and one week per year (that week being 4 days). Dogs go with you as you need your dog for the practical aspects of the course. Yes, of course, there are sacrifices when taking qualifications - usually social life, or watching TV etc goes on hold and that time is utilised for study - in other words free-time and we all (no matter how busy we like to think we are) have some of that.

Those who do undertake education also have a commitment to dogs and their owners - let's face it, they wouldn't be wasting their time learning more about them if they didn't
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:47 AM
As I said somewhere else before.

Of the 12,000 or so enquiries that we have received about dog training, I can recall 3 who asked about qualifications
. Is that what you call recognised?
I'm retired now, but when I was working in the industry (not too long ago), I had three vets ask for qualifications before they would trust me to work with their clients. I also had far more than 3 calls asking not only what qualifications I held, but also any organisations I belonged to - not so much in the early years, but most certainly in the last two years I worked.

I train people who want to become or who already are, dog trainers. I have to my name, several dozen dog training clubs that have been set up by people I trained. Some are very successfull. None are qualified. As far as I know.
Well done! It's always gratifying to pass on knowledge isn't it?

Does that help in clearing up the qualifications mystery? Hope so. With the greatest respect, I really want to help people understand how it is...... And the ultimate aim, always for me. is to keep dogs in life long homes - whatever that takes. If Qualifications where the way forward then I would be shouting loudly to all who enquired "GO GET QUALIFIED" for the sake of dogs. But I don't believe it is. it isn't that simple. Else everyone who could pass an exam and could read, would be doing it.
The experience vs learning debate will always rage. However, both are beneficial IMHO. I'm not suggesting for one minute that there aren't some very good trainers out their who don't have qualifications (let's face it, universally recognised qualifications in this area haven't been available for too long). However, I would also respectfully advise that there are many good trainers out their who don't neglect their clients by going that extra mile and furthering their knowledge and understanding of dogs and what makes them tick. The science in this field is still evolving and gaining momentum. It will only continue to do that while ever those damned qualifications are there to be earned.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree here because from personal experience I know that the public do tap into it and that it is most definitely a valid qualification. I'm surprised that you've met so many BSc qualified trainers to be honest because the dedicated degree course hasn't been in operation very long. In fact, unless there are more courses that I'm unaware of, the first graduates were given their degree this year
southampton has had BSC animal behaviour for years, as far as im aware.

as have other unis?

never met anyone that has asked after a BSC in dog training, let alone any course, to be honest.

when i try and take them thru my portfolio explaining all my different courses, their eyes usually glaze over.

i always find my enthusiasm at showing them this stuff far outstrips their enthusiasm to hear it.

i dont have issues with BSc's or any courses myself, they just aint the be all and end all, thats all.

Bsc's definitely arent the only, nor always, best route either to become a dog trainer or behaviour consultant.

they arent even the only, nor always best route, to study what's on their own syllabusus.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Several DOZEN clubs set up by trainers you have trained-----blimey----you are a franchise!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
southampton has had BSC animal behaviour for years, as far as im aware.

as have other unis?
Yep, but I only know to one dedicated canine behaviour and training course at degree level. There may be others, but I'm not aware of them. I don't think, but don't know, that there is a practical element as far as dogs are concerned in the Southampton course.

never met anyone that has asked after a BSC in dog training, let alone any course, to be honest.
Neither have I . I was asked many times though if I had 'any' qualifications. There are many of course, but not so many that the general public recognise without explanation.

when i try and take them thru my portfolio explaining all my different courses, their eyes usually glaze over.
I've found that people aren't interessted in the 'nitty gritty', more whether someone is qualified and if they recognised that qualification it carries weight

i always find my enthusiasm at showing them this stuff far outstrips their enthusiasm to hear it.
Brilliant! Without enthusiasm, a dog trainer won't last long. Without enthusiasm, I doubt they'd get through a more serious course, let alone pass it

i dont have issues with BSc's or any courses myself, they just aint the be all and end all, thats all.
No one suggested they were. The 'objection', if you like, is when education is denegrated. No need for it. Those that don't wish to do courses have no obligation to do so at present, but those who do should be encouraged and applauded in their efforts (just my opinion of course)

Bsc's definitely arent the only, nor always, best route either to become a dog trainer or behaviour consultant.
Nope, you need experience as well, but they are a good route if the course is demanding. It's always useful to know what lies behind behaviour and what lies behind the training that is being carried out. Understanding is a valuable tool in any trainers toolbox

they arent even the only, nor always best route, to study what's on their own syllabusus.
That's an interesting thought. Could you expand a little?
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

Show me !

I'm thinking of a doing course but the choice of where to start is quite bewildering. Edinburgh Uni Intro is my current front runner.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »