Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:05 PM

Should Wildlife Be Rescued?

This is something that's been on my mind for some time and after reading the RSPCA Deer Thread I thought I'd ask the question.

What are people's opinions on rescuing and releasing wildlife? I must admit I find it a little hard to swallow when wild animals such as rabbits are brought in to wildlife centres, rehabilitated and then released in to the wild. After all, rabbits are classed as vermin and need to be controlled to prevent the destruction of the countryside. So why would someone want to rescue them and release them?

When I was a kid I was always taught to leave the wildlife well alone. Any animal without it's Mother would be dealt with in the natural course of "Mother Nature". I wouldn't wish suffering on any creature, but I do think sometimes you have to let nature take it's course. What are other peoples opinions, do you think it's right to release a wild animal that is already over populated and likely to be hunted anyway?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:13 PM
as the majority of wildlife injuries are caused either directly or indirectly by man then imo its only right that we give these animals a chance of life.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Working in such a place, course I agree with it! Most of the injuries the animals come in with are caused by humans, or their pets..I like being a part of helping helpless animals get better and back out into their natural enviroment - some arent so lucky....

Certain animals by law cant be released back into the wild..Glis Glis for example, and certain animals cant be released in certain areas..There are reasons for that..

If there wasnt places for the general public to take injuried animals to, then what happens? Their left on the side of the road, suffering - and when their better of course their going to bed released their wild animals that should never be kept in captivity unless unable to survive in the wild, like 3 legged deer, one winged red kite ect..

Rescue centres are set up..Stating they will take wildlife, they wouldnt take in one animal, then turn away another like a rabbit.. They will do their best to sort it out and release to live a normal life - would you rather people were turned away with the animals, and told to just leave it in a bush or something..every animal, deserves a chance..

and apart from Myxy most animals, I have came across since first being at the wildlife hospital nearly two years ago have suffered injuries relating to car accients, getting stuck in fencing, pets attacking, broken wing and the like not diseases...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:22 PM
The thing that I can't understand is rescuing a whole litter of kittens, releasing them into the countryside to an already huge overpopulation of rabbits?

Is it right to rescue a wild animal that is already too numerous, for it then to be classed as vermin and hunted by the very species that saved it? Is it not better to leave well alone and let nature takes it course in these cases?

It just doesn't seem logical to me somehow?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:29 PM
So if their mum is hit down by a car, the babies should also suffer, and likelyhood not survive, because when their fit and able their going to be released?

Animals all deserve a chance, and if ones finds it self in a sticky position and is lucky enough to have been rescued by someone and taken to a hospital where people are willing to care for it, then I see no problem. A wildlife hospital couldnt accept some animals, then say but I dont want pigeons, rabbits, rats or what ever..

I feel its giving something back, I love wildlife - and am glad some people are so passionate about them that they work in treating, and releasing such beautiful animals back into a natural enviroment when the time is right.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm torn between yes, save them, no leave them be.

Living with a gamekeeper, I am swaying towards, let nature take its course. Where I live in Scotland, we are so over populated with rabbits, I've seen the damage they can do. I know all the farmers and keepers in my area would be horrified to hear of them being rescued, rehabilitated and released near us. We are the same with pidgeons, but OH shoots them and I cook them!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I love wildlife, but the logical part of me says what's the point in rescuing something that is going to be hunted down and shot anyway. Why rescue a Grey Squirrel and then have it live a life in captivity? Are you doing it for the Squirrel or for your own conscience?

If I found baby animals I wouldn't rescue them tbh, it wouldn't even occur to me. There used to be baby crows hopping around all over the place in Spring where I used to live. I never rescued them, they inevitably died and got eaten by another predator - that's life. Wild animals suffer every day, it's part of Mother Nature. A litter of baby rabbits could easily be a baby raptors next meal after all?!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I'm torn between yes, save them, no leave them be.

Living with a gamekeeper, I am swaying towards, let nature take its course. Where I live in Scotland, we are so over populated with rabbits, I've seen the damage they can do. I know all the farmers and keepers in my area would be horrified to hear of them being rescued, rehabilitated and released near us. We are the same with pidgeons, but OH shoots them and I cook them!
I think the difference in opinion comes when you hunt wildlife and/or have to manage it. You have to live with the damage they do to crops etc. Crops being one of our main food sources. I'm pretty sure people would soon stop being in favour of releasing rabbits if it meant no food on the table.

It's all very well saying every animal deserves a chance, but if that was the case we'd all be vegetarians right?!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:42 PM
i agree with DD rabbits should be no exception they deserve a chance plus theyre now an important part of the food chain for many of our predators ...and if these predators were in balance with the environment we wouldnt be over run with rabbits in the 1st place.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
i agree with DD rabbits should be no exception they deserve a chance plus theyre now an important part of the food chain for many of our predators ...and if these predators were in balance with the environment we wouldnt be over run with rabbits in the 1st place.
If you didn't rescue them they would inevitably complete the food chain and get eaten!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »