Female 

23-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I enjoyed it, loved the Arabs!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I started to watch it & found it great to start with, especially the comments on how we use the fear flight behaviour for our own stupid entertainment purposes . And then I thought can you imagine the uproar in the dog world if we started using the fear reactions in dogs purely for betting/gambling/entertainment purposes? At least with dogs being predators rather than prey animals, their chase reaction, e.g. greyhound racing, shouldn't cause the same fear flight reaction. But then again, we do use dogs as guard dogs & protection dogs so isn't this also using their fear reactions for our own purposes?

The other point that made me turn over was because Clunes was going to get a lesson from Monty Roberts ~ another silly man no better than CM or JF!

Holds breathe & waits for horsey people to come down on me like a ton of bricks!
I missed the beginning of the programme unfortunately, which sounds as though it was very interesting.

However, just to make the point that guard dogs and protection dogs aren't suited to their work because they are fearful, but actually the reverse. Only confident, steady tempered dogs should be used for protection/guard dog purposes, not dogs with too much defensive drive.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That will be Kelly Marks, Razcox. I saw that programme too and it was inspirational.

I unfortunately only saw half the Martin Clunes documentary last night, but did really enjoy what I saw I will definitely be watching next week.

What was the story behind the French guy standing/riding on the horses backs on the beach (that is the bit I came in on). It looked absolutely amazing and his horses were beautiful!
Thanks! It was going to be driving me nuts all day. I was lucky enough to see them both live and met them after through a social with the uni riding club. It was great
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I watched it and thought it was really good.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I watched it to with great intrest may I add
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Sorry another fan here, i saw him and a yonger woman with an amazing horse called American Pie work together and it was wonderful to watch. The horse was labeled a failure by his old trainers and owners but this woman turned him around by using NH.

whether you agree 100% with his ideas or not i admire the fact that he stood up and came up with a better way to train horses based on understanding rather then force, going against the western sect at the time. You can not compare this to the likes of CM who in fact do the opposite.
Completely agree, CM uses punishment and fear to get what he wants from dogs.

Some may not like MR, or Kelly Marks, (saw her myself once) but you cant say they use brutal force to get what they want from the horse.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I loved it! Especially the horses on the beach, and the arab mare. The joining up was quite fascinating but I did wonder whether it could be all that fun for the horse.. Am researching now
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I enjoyed it, loved the Arabs!
Me too, and they are not my favorite breed either
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I watched it just now, went out last night, so recorded it.

I loved it, can't wait till next week. Was good to see the frenchman, Jean Paul something, I think? I've heard not so good things about him, but wasn't sure if its just hearsay, but I think that after watching the programme that if he was cruel and nasty to his horses, then they wouldn't do everything so willingly?

I love Monty Roberts, have read a couple of his books. I really admire what he has done, especially as it went against the norm of the usual treatment of horses, when he first started to realise the 'language of the horse.'
I think its great that he's not cruel to them, he just uses the way an 'elder' in a herd would treat a naughty youngster.

I can't wait till next week!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm the first to admit that I don't know that much about horses, but from the little I do know, & from dog/cat behaviour studies, I do find it hard to think that driving a horse round & round a pen, shooing it away, then approaching it when it's absolutely exhausted & just about gving up because the normal flight fear response has been taken away, is a very kind or nice thing to do.

As i understand it, the social groupings of horses only require that young stallions are pushed out of the herd as they become sexually mature. So what on earth has Monty Roberts' methods got to do with treating horses "naturally"?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >