View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I dont think boltguns should be banned full stop but i do think there should be tight control over ther use and they should be treated more like a rifle. They are a wepon after all. I dont like the idea of them being used on a dog esp one that is as docile as your average pet where it seems more like cost cutting then welfare.

It also never fails to amaze me the double standards shown by people. Puppy farming - Bad, breeders who have to many litters for some - Bad, hundreds of greyhounds bred by one kennel then gotten rid of - Well thats ok for some reason!!! I refuse to go greyhound racing and will continue to do so until the abuse of these wonderful dogs stop.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 09:29 AM
If someone was going to put me to sleep I would rather be put to sleep by an injection as they do at the vets than a with a bolt gun. Just my opinion so don't bite my head off please!! (memories of the "Should Greyhound racing be abolished" thread surface!!!)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
If someone was going to put me to sleep I would rather be put to sleep by an injection as they do at the vets than a with a bolt gun. Just my opinion so don't bite my head off please!! (memories of the "Should Greyhound racing be abolished" thread surface!!!)
But YOU are a human being that will UNDERSTAND what is happening to you, an animal that may freak out being pinned down, shaved and kept still and restrained while a vein is found, just may not understand that!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But YOU are a human being that will UNDERSTAND what is happening to you, an animal that may freak out being pinned down, shaved and kept still and restrained while a vein is found, just may not understand that!
... and if an animal is that unhandable,how are you expected to get to that point?

sedations first often do not work and when they do the circulation can be so collapsed finding a vein is nearly impossible
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm appalled that any dog lover would think that it's ok to use captive bolt guns on dogs. the only people I thought were in agreement with this barbaric form of euthanasia were some of those that worked for the rspca.
they have said they have suspended use of them I'm not sure they have though. they have lied many times before. it's in-humane and totally unnecessary.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 06:32 AM
No. It`s a stun method, not a killing method. If you can get close enough and hold the animal still enough to position the gun correctly then you can use better methods.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... and if an animal is that unhandable,how are you expected to get to that point?

sedations first often do not work and when they do the circulation can be so collapsed finding a vein is nearly impossible
Well I am currently boarding a dog that will let me touch her head, stroke her ears, but I know for a FACT if I try to touch her anywhere else she FREAKS! And I mean FREAKS. I could certainly hold something to her head, but even touch her leg, hold her down, not a chance, and thats a PET dog!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
I'm appalled that any dog lover would think that it's ok to use captive bolt guns on dogs. the only people I thought were in agreement with this barbaric form of euthanasia were some of those that worked for the rspca.
they have said they have suspended use of them I'm not sure they have though. they have lied many times before. it's in-humane and totally unnecessary.
Im appalled that ANY clear thinking person cannot accept that in CERTAIN circumstances it would be the best way. For that animals sake. Some people think life is far too pink and fluffy, it isnt!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Jodie posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro again, she does this a lot, and usually ONLY participates in such threads. In any case, once more, the case for the dog in that photo being shot with a captive bolt is flawed to say the least, not a chance, the Vet report says as much, yet its seen fit to "use" it to promote rubbish again.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
I guess, some of us live in the real world, not one that is seen through rose tinted glasses.

I dont think anyone has said its an acceptable way to euthanize ALL dogs ,but like all things in life , there will be the exception, and if you ban it completey, then you take away the means to euthanize quickly when needed in those circumstances when it is a danger to humans along with the added trauma inflicted on an individual dog.

I am not talking about killing greyhounds up the back of someones field, as I have said, if they have to be PTS, then take them to the vet.

Whats the difference between shooting a deer that you cant get near to, or livestock, other than the obvious fluffy concept we have of the dog!! a good marksman or slaughter man, will be an expert in his trade, done under licence , in extreme circumstances, I have no problem with, I may not like it , but understand it.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Jodie posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro again, she does this a lot, and usually ONLY participates in such threads. In any case, once more, the case for the dog in that photo being shot with a captive bolt is flawed to say the least, not a chance, the Vet report says as much, yet its seen fit to "use" it to promote rubbish again.
I agree, the thread should have had the word greyhound in place of dogs because thats what this thread is about, a bit of a back door entry

Yet again another greyhound and racing thread!!!

And a bit of exaggerated propaganda

Shame the vet could not have been more agreeable in his report for them.
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »