View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Dog Licence again? is this latest proposal going to work and......

what are your views on the rspca being involved
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...cious-attacks-
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Well we have dog licences over here and its a case of those who do pay to licence their dogs do it and those that dont, dont. You will always get those of us who do what they should...... Who is going to police it to make sure every dog is licenced...... Ours is £5 at the minute but supposed to be increasing to £12 per dog.
Oliver21508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2010, 06:11 AM
i think its a good idea. we have to start somewhere to stop bad people owning dogs and try and stop these dog attacks. many people drive cars with a licence, doesn't mean we should get rid of licence just cos of a few t*ts. I think licencing dogs is a good idea, but I don't think it will be policed enough.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-06-2010, 06:33 AM
I know a lot of people think its a bad idea, but I'm actually all for it.

I think the gesture of getting the license and registering your ownership demostrates a senses of responsibility or a lest your intent to do so.

It will not stop irresponsible dog owners altogether in much the same way that the legal requirement to have car insurance will not stop irresponsible drivers.

This is a control measure only, but I would agree that we do indeed need some control measures - currently the only control measures available are voluntary, such as the KC Good Citizens Scheme.

I'm not sure about the RSPCA with their record, but on the other hand, who would be the authority that looks after it?

Wouldn't it be good it a portion of the fee went to fund rescue centres?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 08:19 AM
£17 per dog annually would stop me rescuing oldies who don't have long left or dogs with problems. It is a lot of money from a budget.

rune
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 08:45 AM
A dog license on it's own won't work,nor will it prevent serious attacks.
However I do agree that something needs to be done and I do like the idea of a national database.
I wouldn't mind paying for my dogs,but is this going to penalise the responsible rather than target the irresponsible.

How would you deal with those irresponsible owners,especially if you can't trace them through a chip or database ?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 10:03 AM
This will not deter irresposible dog owners or the yobs who fight dogs. They will still do it. It's gonna be impossible to police. All it's going to do is penalise all of us fab dog owners.
Don't get me wrong...if I thought it would be the answer then I would happily pay for a dog license, it's just that I don't think it will work.
Also, is it going to be like a tv license where you just have one and can have as many tv's as you want? Or is it going to be one for each dog? Coz I've got 5!!!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Dog licenses will not stop irresponsible people from owning dogs.

I think it should be people who are licensed.

I have 6 dogs so it would be expensive for me, why should I be penalised for other irresponsible people.
The people who cause most of the problems likely won't buy one anyway
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Dog licenses will not stop irresponsible people from owning dogs.

I think it should be people who are licensed.

I have 6 dogs so it would be expensive for me, why should I be penalised for other irresponsible people.
The people who cause most of the problems likely won't buy one anyway
I agree with that.

I'd also go as far to say that you need to provide the licence to be able to buy a dog. I also think that maybe a test on basic to be done to get one. Just on the basics of keeping a dog, also a leaflet to be given out which explains dog law and legal responsibility which has to be signed to say you've understood it.

This is the only way forward I can see and to be honest I would rather pay out £15-£20 a year than have to have my dog muzzled or kept on lead all the time. Which I can see being their next bright idea.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Same ol', same ol'.

The RSPCA has been pushing for licences for over twenty years. The article doesn't say it but the RSPCA's hope is that a licence with a large price differential between entire and neutered dogs will reduce the overbreeding we see from BYBs.

It's got nothing to do with dog attacks and I doubt it will have much effect in that regard. Licencing is a non-starter until we have registration and, because I don't beleive the differential could ever be large enough to be truly effective, I can't see that licencing offers further benefits above registration..
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »