Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Not if Kitty passes on Cassandra's information and the fact she is willing to rehome him
I was under the impression she had other dogs & seeing as the dog is dog aggressive I would presume they would refuse to rehome him to her? Especially if her plan is to rehabilitate him but then rehome him to another owner.

I've been reading this thread since it started but as I'm only a newcomer I didn't want to give an input. However, I did think, if the RSPCA say to Kitty they will not PTS & will try to help the dog, maybe someone from here or Kitty (if she lives close to the centre) will be able to 'check up on him' to make sure he hasn't been PTS?
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
if the RSPCA say to Kitty they will not PTS & will try to help the dog, maybe someone from here or Kitty (if she lives close to the centre) will be able to 'check up on him' to make sure he hasn't been PTS?
you cant trust the rspca tho!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I have not read the threads following this one but I totally agree Nicci. Another option imo Why does Cassandra not go to RSPCA Kennels he will be put in and try and rehome him from there via the legal route. This will safegaurd the previous owners of Dobe and also Kitty. Will also maybe satisfy the members on here who are totally against the dog being PTS
I'm not totally convinced that Oscar does need to be pts but had the situation here arisen in my home I can honestly say I would personally pts if there was no-where my dog could go that I felt was a safe environment where they wouldn't come into contact with children, would I hand them over to a complete stranger? Nope.
I'd have to be fully confident that I knew where my dog was going and to people I had confidence in/whom I knew on a personal level.

Certainly in this situation I wouldn't hand them over to someone who can only offer a ''stepping stone'' as realistically that isn't a longterm solution for Oscar, only adding to his confusion when the time comes that he needs to be ''passed'' on again.

It's hardly fair on the dog I think here is where you have to be realistic.

Dobermanns are fragile souls emotionally and this dog may have already been put through too much, much more than he could possibly stand
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Jezzz, what ever happpened to allowing Kitty to do what she feels right.

No pressure then is there , regarding the dogs future

Poor girl cant get it right can she, now if she returns it to the RSPCA she is giving it a death sentance!!

Well done folks.... give the girl a kick while she is down , why dont you
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I am contacting the RSPCA Preston. I do not think they will let me have him, but this is basically what I am offering them:

*A Temporary Foster Home, no matter how long he needs it. I do have references, am willing to have my house home-checked by the RSPCA. Nicci_L he can stay on MY "stepping stone" for AS LONG AS IT TAKES.
*Full medical care including Thyroid, Liver, Cardio and any other tests and treatment as needed.
*One on one training to work with a behaviourist on any of his issues.
*All of the Mental and Physical stimulation this dog will require in order to be completely satisfied.

I will be sending an email shortly and will be following up with phone calls all of next week. Poodle cups, I say, to anyone who thinks I will give up that easily.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by cassassin View Post
Nicci_L he can stay on MY "stepping stone" for AS LONG AS IT TAKES.
Then what when your work is done with him?

As you have previously stated you cannot keep him longterm this is where people concerned for Oscar should really have a rethink about the seriousness of the situation of this dog being passed around.
BarbaraM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I have been watching this thread since it started. I have no experience of dobermans apart from one lovely dog owned by a friend many moons ago.

However, my small munsterlander Hector came to us at aged two (he is now six) when his owners said that he had nipped their children - he was kept muzzled in the house as a consequence. His other "faults" ranged from stealing food, opening doors, not submitting (!!) and growling if two people touched him at the same time. They said that if we didnt take him then he would be put down (on the advice of the breeder apparently).

As we already had Hectors brother and litter mate Kobi from puppyhood, we decided to take him.

Four years on - I won't say it hasnt been difficult sometimes. Hector was always very timid at night and would hide away. But he now mostly stays around all evening, mostly likes being stroked by two people (he grumbles sometimes, but munsters can be a bit grumbly and vocal) and most importantly gets on famously with my grandchildren. Of course he is never left alone, but then neither have the other dogs been.

Hard subject - no easy answer, all dogs are different.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I am contacting the RSPCA Preston. I do not think they will let me have him,
Why do you think that ?
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Why do you think that ?
Because:

1.) He is dog aggressive and I do have two other dogs in my home. I have explained that I am fully capable of managing them all at the same time. I am also sure that I could work with him to the point where he could at least TOLERATE being around other dogs. Kitty explained the situation to me and I feel I would be able to introduce him slowly to other dogs being around, and this would all be done in a way that would not be stressful for him.

2.) As everyone keeps puttering about, he will likely be pts, no questions asked. If the RSPCA has stopped taking in animals in need unless under dire circumstances, what do you think they will do to this "aggressive" animal that they are OBLIGATED BY LAW to take back?

I am hoping that by offering to be a foster for him, even if this takes a year or more, even if he ends up STAYING with me forever, he WILL get his second chance. I want the best possible home for him, be that with someone else, or here with me.

The way that Kitty described this dog to me, he needs someone to work with him, I am willing to do that. I am willing to be a temp foster home, if things work out I WOULD most definitely be willing to keep him.

Btw, if anyone wants to gauge my knowledge of the breed, I am more than happy to send links to my post history on a breed focused forum via pm. Just ask, please. I have nothing to hide.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Because:

1.) He is dog aggressive and I do have two other dogs in my home. I have explained that I am fully capable of managing them all at the same time. I am also sure that I could work with him to the point where he could at least TOLERATE being around other dogs. Kitty explained the situation to me and I feel I would be able to introduce him slowly to other dogs being around, and this would all be done in a way that would not be stressful for him.

2.) As everyone keeps puttering about, he will likely be pts, no questions asked. If the RSPCA has stopped taking in animals in need unless under dire circumstances, what do you think they will do to this "aggressive" animal that they are OBLIGATED BY LAW to take back?

I am hoping that by offering to be a foster for him, even if this takes a year or more, even if he ends up STAYING with me forever, he WILL get his second chance. I want the best possible home for him, be that with someone else, or here with me.

The way that Kitty described this dog to me, he needs someone to work with him, I am willing to do that. I am willing to be a temp foster home, if things work out I WOULD most definitely be willing to keep him.

Btw, if anyone wants to gauge my knowledge of the breed, I am more than happy to send links to my post history on a breed focused forum via pm. Just ask, please. I have nothing to hide.
You have stated you couldn't keep him permantly earlier in the thread - What's changed ?
I think you need experience as well as knowledge of a breed.
Have you worked with DA Dobe's before ?
How many and how many have you owned ?
Closed Thread
Page 43 of 47 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 > Last »