View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I personally feel so sad with this situation, for the OP, the child (not a baby, he is 3 years old!) and the dog... I feel, as the OP has not yet come back on, that the dog is probably at the Bridge We are all supposed dog lovers on this forum and yes there are parents amongst us, but hardly anyone has thought that maybe, the child had grabbed the dog on one of those scars, evoking a painful memory.. That dog was pushed from pillar to post, and as Claire and Daisy said, he has been well and truly failed, by those before the OP. The OP in a way failed him, by not thinking it through before she got him off a friend..
I feel sad for the child, he will have a fear now of dogs, but he will recover... sadly I doubt the dog will.
cassassin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:06 AM
If I did not have two small breed males and children who come around to play with them in my life, I would be more than happy to have him.

I would be more than happy to assist in weekend transport or short term fostering.

Alas, I too feel this dog may not be with us anymore
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:11 AM
No response from Kitty but she was on last night so am hoping she might have tried the number I pm'd optimist that I am But Kitty if you could give us an update on the situation it would be much appreciated theres still another number I could try. Whatever decision you make or have made, I for one (not that it counts for anything you dont know me from Adam!) will not think any less of you. You are a good person and took Oscar in and its terribly sad things turned out the way they have. Big hug for you and your little man x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why do you need experience of Dobes, surely a dog that has bitten and may have issues that are deep set due to pain / trauma / treatment.. is a dog is a dog ..if you have experience of dealing with such traumatized dogs, does it matter the breed..
I don't think the breed does matter. The assessments and observations would follow the same pattern.

However the size and strength of the breed might have a bearing on the willingness of people to rehome or foster it.

Personally I wouldn't take on a large possibly aggressive dog again and there are few people who will. Apart from anything else the third party insurance can be a huge problem.

rune
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
well exactly even more so when people have stated its irresponsible to do anything other than have the dog pts
I find it quite worrying that people seem to be more interested in the dogs welfare than the childs personally
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I personally feel so sad with this situation, for the OP, the child (not a baby, he is 3 years old!) and the dog... I feel, as the OP has not yet come back on, that the dog is probably at the Bridge We are all supposed dog lovers on this forum and yes there are parents amongst us, but hardly anyone has thought that maybe, the child had grabbed the dog on one of those scars, evoking a painful memory.. That dog was pushed from pillar to post, and as Claire and Daisy said, he has been well and truly failed, by those before the OP. The OP in a way failed him, by not thinking it through before she got him off a friend..
I feel sad for the child, he will have a fear now of dogs, but he will recover... sadly I doubt the dog will.
3yrs old, to parent is still very much a baby, he may not be a babe in arms but I would still class him as my baby!!

Yes we are a dog lovers forum, but I would hope that even then, we would realise you have to put the welfare of children first before any dog.

Sadly I fear Kitty wont return, as there seems to be an growing sense of condemnation towards her if she has had the dog PTS and not tired any other options.

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
No response from Kitty but she was on last night so am hoping she might have tried the number I pm'd optimist that I am But Kitty if you could give us an update on the situation it would be much appreciated theres still another number I could try. Whatever decision you make or have made, I for one (not that it counts for anything you dont know me from Adam!) will not think any less of you. You are a good person and took Oscar in and its terribly sad things turned out the way they have. Big hug for you and your little man x

I agree, please come back on to let us know what the outcome is....
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think the breed does matter. The assessments and observations would follow the same pattern.
However the size and strength of the breed might have a bearing on the willingness of people to rehome or foster it.

Personally I wouldn't take on a large possibly aggressive dog again and there are few people who will. Apart from anything else the third party insurance can be a huge problem.

rune

Exactly , I agree, to a point breed knowledge counts, but in dire needs , an experienced hand is what matters... but I also agree , finding the home "now" for this dog is going to be hard.

Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I find it quite worrying that people seem to be more interested in the dogs welfare than the childs personally
Yes, Also get the same feeling!!!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
If it was a serious attack then i have no doubt the childs face would have been ripped off..I have said that how many times now?? I dont know but am bored of repeating myself lol..of course all attacks are just that attacks and there all different levels of seriousness..To me this isnt just luck that the child got off with a scratch because the owner was there, if the dog wanted to 'finish' the child off it would have! Anyways my opinions wont change, yours wont and me and you sat here repeating ours selves over and over for the second night will not do any good for the dog..or owner.
The dog didn't get the chance to do anything more serious because the OP was there and pulled the dog off ! just imagie what would have happened if she wasn't there
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
The reason why the OP probably hasn't been back on is because of people saying shes failed the dog, and the people who seem to think its ok for a dog to attack a 3 year old. Imagine if she came on here and said the dog had been pts
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
The reason why the OP probably hasn't been back on is because of people saying shes failed the dog, and the people who seem to think its ok for a dog to attack a 3 year old. Imagine if she came on here and said the dog had been pts
not one person on this forum could condem her for that,

many people would have just gone straight to the vet in her shoes, she did not she came on here {and lets face it, she came LOOKING FOR HELP} she went to the RSPCA, NO JOY, shes tried breed rescue NO JOY. As for all the people on here that would do this or that, I dont hear anyone offer to take the dog to help her, even for a short term, everyone is great at saying what they would do, but not so quick to put there money where there mouth is. so I really feel for her, shes been totally left out on a limb.

massive hugs to the OP,
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:11 AM
If i was the OP i wouldn't come back to this thread. Due to the debates and opposing opinions, whichever route she has taken is going to p*** people off who aren't afraid to give their two pennies worth on here.

I for one am sure she had the dogs best interests at heart when she took it on, and has always cared responsibly for the dog and her child.

Lets hope that she has at least read the comments and some have helped her reach a difficult decision, or gain the advice of other people who have been highlighted on this thread and ultimately made the decision which she feels is best in her heart.
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 47 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 > Last »