Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
...ETA: people often assume that to get a well behaved rottie you have to be hard on them, the complete opposite is true, a rottie treated harshly is not a well balanced dog,
Yep, very well said, Shona!

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

Not dog training schools (although I've watched different types for studies) but actual dog training. I used to be choke chain, punishment and reward owner/trainer. Now I use reward based methods.
Yep......and here.

I often wonder if my first dog would have been easier to train with the methods we use now......the others never worked that well on her!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I went to training classes with Cherry as she used to be very reactive with other dogs. The trainer told me to shake her by the scruff of the neck when she got reactive, she got worse (unsurpisingly as I know now).

We then went to a brilliant behaviourist who taught me calming methods with her and positive reward based training and she is a pleasure to won 95% of the time now.

I know which I would recommend! I just wish I had gone to the behaviourist first as the wrong method set me back for a long time.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Ask him what training qualifications he has and are the qualifications recognised by the kennel club?
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
are the qualifications recognised by the kennel club?
now there's a question! What are? I thought it was based on a portfolio.
But his school is part of BIPDT and within BIPDT they have some of the only KC acredited trainers in the country.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
now there's a question! What are? I thought it was based on a portfolio.
But his school is part of BIPDT and within BIPDT they have some of the only KC acredited trainers in the country.
I don't think they are acredited by the KC at all.

The only reference I could find on their website was the minutes of the June 2009 meeting and it refers to them making up their own rules:

"The report concluded that there was no formal regulation of Trainers and Behaviourists; some bodies that had been set up had their own standards of entry e.g. BIPDT, UKRCB etc, but independent professional accreditation was needed - examples had been seen in the Kennel Club and ASAB Schemes. Section 5 of the CAWC Report-July 2008 clearly identified the Kennel Club KCAI Scheme as having the framework required for accreditation."

I would still ask the question of qualifications and whether the trainder believes that these qualifications are recognised by the KC - then answers will speak for themselves.....APDT is a different kettle of fish altogether....
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Well at least two members of BIPDT also have KCAI after their names.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Well at least two members of BIPDT also have KCAI after their names.
I believe this may be something to do with the Kennel Club instructor's scheme. I presume so.

If so, it's not a mark of quality - I do know that many excellent trainers have given up on the scheme due to the problematic paperwork, etc.

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 07:51 AM
why not stick a thread up on here asking about training clubs in your area, Im sure there are a good few members in your area? they may be able to put you in touch with a good trainer,

word of mouth is still a great way to find one.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I believe this may be something to do with the Kennel Club instructor's scheme. I presume so.

If so, it's not a mark of quality - I do know that many excellent trainers have given up on the scheme due to the problematic paperwork, etc.

Wys
x
I've got B.Eng. after my name, I've never engineered a thing since I left Uni
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »