View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
There are some fab trainers who do like him - but they havent seen some of his more contraversial methods only the fluffy bits

I was actually asked if I wanted to have one of my dogs on stage with him as an example of a trained dog - err nope unless I can say its an example of a dog trained with the opposite of his method!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Im going to see in in Nottingham on Wednesday, it was a christmas present from my boss. Im going with an open mind as i have seen things he does that i like and i dont.
Looking forward to it.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I must admit I like watching his programmes just to get a "doggy fix" though I am a bit cynical as to his methods for the average pet dog. However, we can all learn something at times from people we are not "disciples" of and he taught me that you should not let a fighting breed of dog go head to head when it meets another dog but move the dog to the other dog's rear to sniff. Although Cherry is not a "fighting breed" this helped me enormously and I could mix her with a friend's Airedale she previously reacted to from 40 feet away! Unfortunately I also tried the "Alpha roll" on her when she got a bit reactive-bad move-back to clicker training and rewards for being calm as this works.

I am worried about all the people we meet who are so enamoured with his methods (our trainer was one but we don't go to her agility classes any more after she let a dog have a pop at Cherry and then called it "breed specific behaviour"!).
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
He is a bully and I would not support a thing,that man does.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
You couldn't pay me to go see that insidious little cockroach.

Bullies are cowards, and those who bully animals, have the largest yellow streek of them all.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
You are welcome to keep him as long as you want.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I do wonder whether the increase in dog biting incidents are as a result of people using his training methods!!
Becky
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I believe he was being promoted and appeared on "The one show" on BBC at the beginning of the week, although I never saw it.
I only caught the end of when a member of the production team had their two spaniels on, they showed a clip of said spaniels dragging their owner down the street and asked what he could do. CM's response was to get some roller skates, I think they thought he was joking until he said he needed to utilise their energy!

So spaniels can sled now huh?

Stupid, ignorant, cruel man.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You are welcome to keep him as long as you want.
Labman I am really surprised you aren't a fan of CM, I have seen other posts where you appear to not like him and I am a little confused . Don't some of the methods you suggest people use on dogs have a lot in common with those used by CM .
Is this an instance of 'the pot calling the kettle black'

CM talks a lot about packs and rank so do you, here is an example...
Originally Posted by Labman
Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books
CM use a choke chain on dogs, I have seen you mention using one on a puppy of five months of age,
You should stay with a flat fabric or leather collar until your puppy is 5 months old. Then you can go with the metal slip collar with the rings on each end. Otherwise you could damage its windpipe. Put it on like this for the usual dog on the left position. Pull the chain through the one ring forming a"P". Facing the dog, slip it over its head. The free end comes over the neck allowing the other end to release pressure when the leash is slack.
CM uses the alpha roll and other methods designed to force a dog to submit.
Labman I would say some of the methods you suggest to force a puppy to submit are actually worse than anything I have seen suggested by CM and to me they are are more suited to the followers of the Marquis de Sade than the trainers of puppies.
''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''
Dog training for me is all about mutual respect between the dog and the handler, a dog obeying commands willingly not because it is fearful and has been 'dominated' and forced to 'submit' by the trainer and by trainer I mean anyone training a dog not just Cesar Millan.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Some friends went to see him the other night. They thought he was fab. I think with regards to TV personalities people just see what they want to see. I used to like him at first until I saw some of his more extreme methods. I think he has done a lot of good for dogs and a lot of harm too. Good because he works with last chance dogs, harm because others emulate his not so nice methods.

I wouldn't go to see him however and wouldn't be happy with him around my dogs, but that's just my view.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »