View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Don't forget there are some folk out there who would LOVE an oldie but don't feel as if they can emotionally cope with it. After all, the chances of it dying are alot closer.

I'd love to one day but for now, selfishly I would one my woofer to live as long as possible with me.

p.s. I have HUGE respect for anyone who takes in the oldies!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Don't forget there are some folk out there who would LOVE an oldie but don't feel as if they can emotionally cope with it. After all, the chances of it dying are alot closer.

I'd love to one day but for now, selfishly I would one my woofer to live as long as possible with me.

p.s. I have HUGE respect for anyone who takes in the oldies!
True but we're not just talking 'proper' oldies here - we're talking about any dog over 2 or 3 years old. Given the vast range in dogs' life spans, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will have a pup any longer than taking on a 3 or 4 year old.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:40 PM
we find the between 3 and 5 age group the hardest to rehome, thats an average of another 10 years for a springer
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
we find the between 3 and 5 age group the hardest to rehome, thats an average of another 10 years for a springer
So find me a four year old! I'm there!
princesscheche
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I think younger dogs' temprament as an adult can be unpredictable when they are pups. We chose an older rescue because we knew what we were getting in regards to temprament, personality, routine etc. Thats a bonus for us as we have a young child too (who is worse behaved than the dog! LOL)
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So find me a four year old! I'm there!
Theres 3 off the top of my head on our website and i have another, but she's not ready for homing yet and will need a special home
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
That's my favourite age range for adopting...and OH has decided that he likes (working lines) springers, so you never know, we might come knocking on your door at some stage...mind you, hopefully it will be a few years yet as we definitely won't add another dog while we have Hoki (following the problems of taking in Tip).
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Between 3 and 5 they are past the adolescent stage (hopefully) yet still active and eager to play. I can't understand why you have difficulty rehoming them as it seems an ideal age. I can see once the dog gets to 7 or so people may be anticipating health problems.

I love the real oldies. It's so sad to see them in kennels waiting for a home. Maybe when mine is older I will do some fostering of oldies.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Roxy found us at age 5.5 years. Until we knew for sure, we guessed she was between 3 and 4 years. We were really surprised she was that age as she looked and behaved like a much younger dogs.

We had to start with the basics with her training and now, she had a fantastic temperament - and still does - but obedient she was not! She is now though.

I don't regret taking on an "older" dog for a second and I'd do it again in a hearbeat in the future should I have the chance.

Even if Roxy was the age she is now, just turned 9 years, I'd still take her on as she has such a zest for life, loves to play, is really affectionate and still acts like a daft pup quite a lot of the time!

In fact, she is often mistaken for the younger of my two - Molly is 6.5 years old!

It's so sad that a lot of people won't open up their home to an older dog at 4 or 5 years old when looking for a rescue. That's no age at all and they stll have so much to give.

So, if anyone is looking for a rescue dog and can afford the expense, don't be put off an older dog! They're often easier as they're past the puppy and adolescence stage, but still have a lot to give! It's a good feeling knowing you've given an "oldie" a forever home to live out the rest of their life and what you often get in return is second to none.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Can't see any but Buddy reminds me alot of Woody from the description.

Hali, just curious, why is that your fav age range?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >