Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
I totally agree with that but we are talking about dogs and live in kennels not sleep in them.
but not all breeders who have kennels confine there dogs to them 24/7

I have two kennel blocks out the back, {not in use ATM}
but when they were, the doors were opened in the morning, kennels and back door of the house, the dogs came and went as they liked giving them all the run of the garden, kennels and house,
the inside dogs did like to get out and hunt in the straw beds for any hidden goodys in the kennels lol
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Abooouut turn----left right left right............

rune
I wondering if that silly remark is aimed at me, and if so Id ask you to explain what you mean. Of course I have never had a dog, bred from it and rehomed it, nor would I, so Im struggling to think exactly who you did aim it at!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It isn't just in Cornwall(although there are some excellent ISDS breeders in Cornwall)it's everywhere, why should a farmer/shepherd"waste"money on registering their dogs & having to abide with the ISDS rules, when they can use any dog on their bitch & sell off the excess to people who(having seen the PDE program)want a non registered cheap"healthier"puppy ?

Having written that my puppy will be coming from Cornwall(as did Rjj)but he is from health screened parents ISDS registered parents
I must know very different farmers and shepherds then, as just about all the ones I know have registered dogs and also practically every litter advertised in FG and Scottish Farmer are registered.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It isn't just in Cornwall(although there are some excellent ISDS breeders in Cornwall)it's everywhere, why should a farmer/shepherd"waste"money on registering their dogs & having to abide with the ISDS rules, when they can use any dog on their bitch & sell off the excess to people who(having seen the PDE program)want a non registered cheap"healthier"puppy ?

Having written that my puppy will be coming from Cornwall(as did Rjj)but he is from health screened parents ISDS registered parents
Not perchance Wadebridge way? Saff came originally from somewhere there and was ISDS.

I don't think most farmers even think about it, like with springers or sringer/collies----they just do iot and sell the pups. It has always been what they do.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Not perchance Wadebridge way? Saff came originally from somewhere there and was ISDS.

I don't think most farmers even think about it, like with springers or sringer/collies----they just do iot and sell the pups. It has always been what they do.

rune
But if most farmets don't think about it, why are there so many registered litters filling all the agricultural papers each week?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
I know I have been shot down before but I still cannot get my head round owning a dog and keeping it shut up in kennels. What kind of life do they have? apart from being dragged round to shows. If it is not allowed to interact with it's owners it may as well be in a prison whether that prison has central heating and nice blankets it is still a prison. I hate the idea of birds in cages and dogs in kennels (apart from short stay).

You forget show dogs are not the only ones who may live in a kennel... police dogs. sheep dogs, and hounds... they are all confined to a kennel life.

You could also say the dog that lives in a house is in a "prison" and some dont even get walked.

Dragged around shows I take it you have not been to many them... try dragging a large breed round a ring if it does not want to do it

SeemS you are under the popular misconception that show dogs are dragged around , not loved, locked up for 24/7 hrs a day.

You would expect to see pretty miserable specimens dont you think.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But if most farmets don't think about it, why are there so many registered litters filling all the agricultural papers each week?

In the scheme of things the agricultural paper will be a drop in the ocean of advertising litters.

Lets not forget the local rags, the Internet, the signs on gate posts or on the side of the road you will see every day... do you really think all farmers register their pups...

For ever one that does there will be two that dont.

W etravel to Wales every other w/end, there is always at least 3/4 litters of Collies advertised on singposts, traffic lights and gateposts... 200/250 or even free to good home , I have seen a few times
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think it may well be very different in different parts of the country. Here the farms are tiny and the dogs are used differently.

Our local paper is full of unregistered wsd's. It really is rare to find a papered one. There are loads in rescue as well.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I think the one thing this thread has proven is the wide variation in all types of breeding, from show to working,

there are good/bad and lots in the middle in all breeding.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 08:52 PM
International sheep dog society. They were the first people to register working sheep dog. They held the first trials at Bala in Wales. In 1976 the KC took all the dogs on the ISDS register and they became BC's. Then if they fit the standard they could be shown at KC shows.

Cut for length purposes

rune
Thank you for that. Sometimes I feel really daft having to ask for all these explanations. There just seems to be so many initials and things and sometimes I have no idea. I still have loads to learn about dogs (I guess we all do in some ways). I appreciate the help though.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 10:08 PM

rune
Launsceston way!
Page 40 of 41 « First < 30 37 38 39 40 41 >