Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Well the breeder of my puppy is giving me another puppy(he gave me Rjj)so he doesn't really breeding for money as I'd like to bet that the price of a KC registered BC is 3 or more times the price he sells his puppies for !
I agree, I was given Livvy, I chose the stud dog, I had pick of litter too. If she isnt right it would be irresponsible of me to even think of breeding from her, and as I cant keep any more dogs that I presently have, I would have to look again. Your not wrong about the price of Collies either!

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree, getting a little over dramatic it seems to me.

Showing it seems has become a dirty practice according to some,

There are degrees in all works of life, in all things, what gets me on this, is that if one re homes a dog , then they are less a dog owner than someone who keeps them for life.

Dawn, you have waited for a long time to fulfil a dream (oh sorry hobby, dirty word) go for it, you wont get any judging from me.. because I know the dogs welfare will be paramount first and foremost what ever the outcome.
Thanks Jackie, Id never do wrong by my dogs, if was in it for the "money" or just for showing, as some would suggest, I sure as hell dont know why there are three other "pets" here! How many would of sold Breeze after a Pyo at 14mth? Most who were in for the money would!
wildheart
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bagwoman View Post
I read a post on here - probably last week - that said "good breeders who care for their dogs" find good homes for their ex-breeding dogs.

Now in my mind if you have a dog, you love it and have it as part of your family in your home until the day it dies. Why would you rehome a dog that has made you money, possibly over many years. To my mind anyone who does this is only interested in the money and not the breed or the poor dogs themselves.

Interested to know others' opinions.

not even going to read any of the replies & considering i haven't been on for a long time this might not go down very well.................i breed but would NEVER consider getting rid of any of my dogs because they are no longer any use in my breeding program, they are 1st & formost part of my family before they are considered for breeding & for those who think it is ok to rehome they dont give a damn about the dogs in the 1st place & therefore IMO should not own a dog
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
not even going to read any of the replies & considering i haven't been on for a long time this might not go down very well.................i breed but would NEVER consider getting rid of any of my dogs because they are no longer any use in my breeding program, they are 1st & formost part of my family before they are considered for breeding & for those who think it is ok to rehome they dont give a damn about the dogs in the 1st place & therefore IMO should not own a dog
Good Post. I wish all breeders would think like this, but sadly they don't.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by wildheart
Why would it not go down very well, may be an idea to read the replies, if you have got the impression that your type of breeder is frowned upon.

Breeders come in all shapes and sizes, large professional kennel to the small hobby breeder.

I dont think any off the above should be accused of not giving a damn or being unfit to own dogs.

Each to their own, all levels of the show world is relevent, from one end of the scale to another.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 10:21 PM
At this moment in time I wouldn't rehome any of mine but who can say what the future will bring.

I did offer Zymi to a very close friend when my back was bad as I felt his restricted life wasn't fair, she refused him... so he's still here

I can only make decisions for myself not for other people nor do I condemn someone for having a different outlook
spot
Dogsey Veteran

24-01-2010, 10:44 PM
And so long as you do all the health checks, vet homes etc I think you are the kind of breeder the dog world needs.

To put a slightly different slant on it, I do wonder though of those who do breed and have bought/acquired dogs they have got only to breed from, if a buyer comes to you for one of your pups and say they want it for showing but if it is not good enough they will expect you to have it back (if you’ve got room of course) or they will rehome it – would that be an acceptable home for a pup you have produced?

What if you do not have enough room to have another pet so cannot take the pup back what happens then?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
And so long as you do all the health checks, vet homes etc I think you are the kind of breeder the dog world needs.

To put a slightly different slant on it, I do wonder though of those who do breed and have bought/acquired dogs they have got only to breed from, if a buyer comes to you for one of your pups and say they want it for showing but if it is not good enough they will expect you to have it back (if you’ve got room of course) or they will rehome it – would that be an acceptable home for a pup you have produced?

What if you do not have enough room to have another pet so cannot take the pup back what happens then?
Good point there Spot. Also what if someone comes along looking for a bitch pup to breed from, and tells you they will do all the health tests etc. but after 1 or 2 litters they will be rehoming her, would you be happy for that person to have the pup?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I have certainly got a "pet owners mind". Despite reading this entire thread, I just can't get away from the thought that a dog is for life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:15 AM
I dont think anyone would argue with that. I cant imagine how people keep dogs for years, breed a few litters then rehome them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post

I guess Spot, like in all walks of life there will be dog owners that dont care and dog owners that do, regardless of what they have them for.

I know a few large kennels who will do exactly that, they will put int he contract that in the event of the dog needing to be re homed (for whatever reason) they must be returned to breeder, Thats not to say, the breeder will then keep the dog, they will then find a suitable home, just like any other good breeder.

Ofcause you will also get the ones who see dogs as cash machines, but thats not exclusive to the show world either.
Page 37 of 41 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 > Last »